Mega Man 9 available on Digital Distribution

Um, what? The game's engine might be responsible for that.
If you've ever written computer code, you'll know 60 MB is a hell of a lot. For a game that draws 2D pixels and has a few directional controls, it's insane. There's clearly something being added into the game that bloats it with stuff that contributes nothing to the actual game. eg. A generalised full-function 3D engine that's being used in a simple way, or a load of Sony libraries to enable leaderboards pr something-or-other that are mammoth.

Plus, Megaman 2 is 256 KB big, not 64 KB. >.> Not many well remembered games for the NES are that small...
It wasn't an attempt at an exact figure. The point is the game is far, far, far bigger than it ought to be based on what's required to draw 2D, 8 colour sprites at 160x120 resolution or whatever it is.

Oh yeah, Capcom also says the 360/PS3 version is a port of the Wii game. Maybe that's why it's sloppier? Who knows.
Ahhh, that explains it. The PS3 version comes with a complete Wii emulator!

If you've ever written computer code, you'll know 60 MB is a hell of a lot.
For code, yes, but MM9 probably use high bitrates MP3 music, with levels as one big texture, a scripting engine for ease of coding/porting, bloated libraries for audio/video, and such.

Little help?.

I got upto some dragon thing on the magma man level, but it keeps kicking my arse.

Try using the Black Hole Bomb on it. You just need skillful dodging and good timing.

Here's a speed run video of Magma Man stage with the dragon beaten within seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
For code, yes, but MM9 probably use high bitrates MP3 music, with levels as one big texture, a scripting engine for ease of coding/porting, bloated libraries for audio/video, and such.

How do I unlock all of that gear? i've only got the normal blue suit and the red and white one that lets you jump high. :?:

If you've ever written computer code, you'll know 60 MB is a hell of a lot. For a game that draws 2D pixels and has a few directional controls, it's insane. There's clearly something being added into the game that bloats it with stuff that contributes nothing to the actual game. eg. A generalised full-function 3D engine that's being used in a simple way, or a load of Sony libraries to enable leaderboards pr something-or-other that are mammoth.

It wasn't an attempt at an exact figure. The point is the game is far, far, far bigger than it ought to be based on what's required to draw 2D, 8 colour sprites at 160x120 resolution or whatever it is.

Ahhh, that explains it. The PS3 version comes with a complete Wii emulator!

I actually said some of the same things in my second post. >.>

Still, I imagine the engine code is a few megs, given the 64 bit CPUs, the fact that it has to work on three platforms(Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't doing some things in a way that would be easier to port to other systems possibly add to the code size?), not having to worry about cart sizes/having to fit all of the engine/sound data onto one half of a cart(NES carts tend to be divided into two halfs... I'm not sure how to explain it exactly, but I'd google NES Mappers to learn more info about them. Sorry, I have a very hard time putting my thoughts into words. This short post will probably take me 20 minutes...) and the graphics themselves onto the other, etc.

Sorry if that paragraph is unreadable.

There's clearly something being added into the game that bloats it with stuff that contributes nothing to the actual game.

Should we take your expert opinion on that?

Maybe the music is mp3 encoded -- that would increase the size reasonably. In any event, I can't believe people are complaining about a 60 MB download in this day and age.

For chip music, an in-game audio engine of a few hundred kb perhaps (inefficient) and a few kb of sound instructions would be enough... Obviously there's a 'we don't care' attitude to bandwidth and storage, which may be okay these days, but it's still something of a travesty to decent coding practice.

For chip music, an in-game audio engine of a few hundred kb perhaps (inefficient) and a few kb of sound instructions would be enough... Obviously there's a 'we don't care' attitude to bandwidth and storage, which may be okay these days, but it's still something of a travesty to decent coding practice.

While I understand where you're coming from, in the modern world I'm thinking to want to not use the standard tools you have available and have been widely tested on the platform in other games and go for some older tech when there's barely a reason to do so, would be a travesty according to some other people's practices. ;)

That's not to say it wouldn't have been incredibly cool if they'd managed to create a game of 250KB or something, but hey, it would only confuse people. A KiloByte? What's that? :D

Even then, 60 MBs seems oversized to me. But then, this game really ought to be running on a SPE's LS alone...

Even then, 60 MBs seems oversized to me. But then, this game really ought to be running on a SPE's LS alone...

Now there's something cool they could have done on a HD tv - support up to 6 players - one on each SPE - offline (or however many fit on your screen online, whatever) and allow the game to be played as a race.

Though probably even all six of those games (or more) could be run on that one SPE. ;)

I purchased MM9 from the Wii store and have attempted (but have not beaten) some of the levels. They tried very had and I believe succeeded in capturing the old school MM. Absolutely wonderful and a must buy if nostalgia is what you are looking for. I'm going to try my best to resist looking at the bot order.

I purchased MM9 from the Wii store and have attempted (but have not beaten) some of the levels. They tried very had and I believe succeeded in capturing the old school MM. Absolutely wonderful and a must buy if nostalgia is what you are looking for. I'm going to try my best to resist looking at the bot order.

It only took an hour or so and I found all my Mega Man skills rushing back. I only have Galaxy Man left to beat -- hope to get to that tonight.

It only took an hour or so and I found all my Mega Man skills rushing back. I only have Galaxy Man left to beat -- hope to get to that tonight.

I haven't beaten a damn thing, but hope to invest some time in it tonight. I'll admit that after testing the stages and dying a multitude of times, I folded and searched for the boss order. I will not spoil your run other than to say that
Galaxy Man is reccommended to the first boss

I haven't beaten a damn thing, but hope to invest some time in it tonight. I'll admit that after testing the stages and dying a multitude of times, I folded and searched for the boss order. I will not spoil your run other than to say that
Galaxy Man is reccommended to the first boss

LOL, sounds like I did it the hard way then. :)

Back