Mega Man 9 available on Digital Distribution

zarbaj

Newcomer
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319411

from the thread:

Dreams do come true. The new issue of Nintendo Power is hitting mailboxes, and inside is the scoop on what we've been waiting for: Solid, concrete proof of Mega Man 9.

While there is no confirmation yet of its existence as a game for Xbox Live Arcade or the PlayStation Network, at least we do now know that it will be a downloadable game in a place where it most makes sense: WiiWare.

Further, the rumors of an 8-bit artstyle were not only true, but quite literal: So far, this looks just like one of the NES games, rather than the later fare of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8, each of which has its fans and detractors.

So what's the story? Apparently the rumor of a more "standard" story holds true as well, as robots are on the rampage, and Dr. Wily is back; only this time, he says that the robot attacks are the fault of Mega Man's creator, Dr. Light. And so it falls to Mega Man to prove his creator's innocence.

So who are the bad boys of metal musculature causing this high-tech havoc? The roster reads thusly: Magma Man, Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Concrete Man, Hornet Man, Plug Man, Tornado Man, and Splash... Woman?

They each inhabit a trap-filled lair that reflects their respective themes, leading to Mega Man traversing molten material in Magma Man's domain, while Tornado Man's stage features spinning magnetic platforms which allow the Blue Bomber to defy gravity. And Plug Man's stage features certain walls that will force the Titanium Titan to square off against shadowy dopplegangers when he walks past.

And of course, when a Robot Master gets pwned, Mega Man will acquire their special weapons for his own personal arsenal, such as Galaxy Man's Black Hole Bombs, for which he'll have to find the next boss in line to whom it works against. Hmm, Black Hole Bomb? I bet Hornet Man might have a hard time escaping that...

The article also provides some insights from franchise mastermind Keiji Inafune of Capcom, who these days is perhaps better known for such fare as Onimusha, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet. According to Inafune, the simple fun of a classic Mega Man game "doesn't fit into the grandiose and expansive world that the consumer gaming industry has become, and so you have to make games that match the current expectations."

He goes on to say that if he did push to have a new game like the classic Mega Man made, it would be criticized for things like being simplistic, outdated, or too expensive, thus making it too difficult to bring it out in the current climate. And that's where programs like WiiWare come in, from which the popularity of retrogaming services such as the Virtual Console lead to the group to decide to make a new "NES" game.

The new game is being developed by Inti Creates, who have a wealth of experience in the Mega Man franchise with their creation of the Mega Man Zero and ZX titles, plus MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge. In addition, to celebrate Mega Man's 20th anniversary, Mega Man ZX Advent featured a mini game of three levels made in the NES Mega Man style.

For controlling the Blue Bomber, players will be able to hold the Wii Remote sideways in NES-style, with the control pad moving Mega Man and the two buttons set to Jump and Fire. Doesn't look like there will be any flashy shaking going on here.

But while he says there are no new mechanical devices for Mega Man to obtain, Inafune states that the robodog Rush makes a triumphant return, as they wanted to make sure some of the other classic characters are in.

The reason for the return to NES-style graphics is due to the desire to please longtime fans who wanted to play a new game that was like the originals. In addition, the popularity of retro graphics on things like t-shirts and other paraphernalia "made it seem like the right time" to bring out an oldschool game. Plus, they wanted to show what the upper-limits of 8-bit graphics could do.

But will we get to see an 8-bit Bass and Treble?

And in addition to the graphics, the music will be styled in an 8-bit fashion, as well as 8-bit styled cinema cutscenes. "I am sure when people see the opening scenes- new content with 8-bit graphics- they're going to be very excited."

In terms of difficulty, Inafune says they aren't holding back for players whose reflexes might have deteriorated over the years, but they will try to keep it as close to that of the NES games as possible. Sounds good to me.

While the "cycloptic monsters" (aka Devils) won't be in, Inafune promises lots of exciting new bosses, plus the return of mainstay series cannon-fodder such as Sniper Joes and Mets.

Rumors suggested that Mega Man's mysterious older brother, Proto Man, would be playable, but when asked of other playable characters, Inafune said that it's classified; "you'll have to wait and see."

With Mega Man 2 as the most highly regarded of the series, Inafune states that he'd like to surpass that with this game, and hopefully be able to make "a whole lot more."

And finally, to the Mega Man fans, he says: "The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I was in tears when I saw this.

Not sure if it was out of despair or excitement, but I tend to believe that it was the former option.

Mega Man 9 is out for Wii and PSN, with the XBL version coming next week. So far, I think it's fantastic. A bit more difficult than several of the previous games (probably more challenging than MM2, in my option), but the store definitely cuts down on the difficulty (Energy tanks for only 30 screws!).

Glad to see Capcom kept the old school difficulty. I can just imagine a lot of mainstream gamers that consider themselves hardcore because they buy a lot of games and have a high gamerscore getting their asses whupped. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can just imagine a lot of mainstream gamers that consider themselves hardcore because they buy a lot of games and have a high gamerscore getting their asses whupped. :LOL:

This.

This game is what I truly consider as a hardcore game. You guys see some of the speed runs on youtube? Someone already set a world record.

This may sound stupid :(

but its been a while since ive played megaman.

How do you do the slide?.

You pay $2.

This is based off MM2 -- slide technology hadn't been developed yet. But there's Protoman DLC, who has a chargeable buster shot, a shield and can slide (but gets knocked back twice as far when hit).

You pay $2.

This is based off MM2 -- slide technology hadn't been developed yet. But there's Protoman DLC, who has a chargeable buster shot, a shield and can slide (but gets knocked back twice as far when hit).

How many wii points? because i have 600 left and any other things included in that pack?.

This game proves PSN is the most ridiculous bloatware platform ever. 63 MBs for a game that'd fit on a 64kb 8-bit-er?!

This game proves PSN is the most ridiculous bloatware platform ever. 63 MBs for a game that'd fit on a 64kb 8-bit-er?!

Um, what? The game's engine might be responsible for that.

Plus, Megaman 2 is 256 KB big, not 64 KB. >.> Not many well remembered games for the NES are that small...

The biggest NES game was 1 MB as I recall. WiiWare has a limit of 40 MB. I can't see how this game would be bigger than 1 MB, but I guess they also have a ton of room to be sloppy even on WiiWare.

Oh yeah, Capcom also says the 360/PS3 version is a port of the Wii game. Maybe that's why it's sloppier? Who knows.

The biggest NES game was 1 MB as I recall. WiiWare has a limit of 40 MB. I can't see how this game would be bigger than 1 MB, but I guess they also have a ton of room to be sloppy even on WiiWare.

Oh yeah, Capcom also says the 360/PS3 version is a port of the Wii game. Maybe that's why it's sloppier? Who knows.

The game is 1MB but it has 62 megs of drm ! :oops:

Na , its most likely because of the resolution its running at. I'm sure that it has alot of other stuff on the 360 and ps3 like the leader boards that were mentioned and achivements and what not. Still a realy big game .

IIRC, isn't the game not actually emulated? It's based off of MM2, but that could simply mean it's going back to the basics rather than directly ported/emulated.

You combine the engine code needed, the fact that all versions of the game are running on 64 bit CPUs(Which will cause some code bloat), all of the leader board/time attack stuff, not having to worry about code size due to cart limitations, etc, and 63 megs is certainly possible.

Also, remember that MM Anniversary Collection did something similar, using the old art assets and music, but redoing the engine. It wound up being big too.

Back