Voodoo1 capabilities in the last Glide era

i remember my k6-2 did very well in sisdoft sandra benchmarks though, i was reasonably happy with the speed it was just the instability

I remember K62 for the heat dissipated and the instability yeah. I solved this increasing to 2,3v (2.2v original got blue crash screens) the vcore.
But for sure the K62 was not a champion of performance.. I remember that when I bought a the 550Mhz version the difference was really so little. Nothing compared with the Duron 750... this rocked!

Yeah, that was a lot of my experience as well. Great chip, but the motherboards were absolute bobbins.

Then again looking back from today it's hard to believe the crud we used to put up with in MB and memory quality.

I remember K62 for the heat dissipated and the instability yeah. I solved this increasing to 2,3v (2.2v original got blue crash screens) the vcore.
But for sure the K62 was not a champion of performance.. I remember that when I bought a the 550Mhz version the difference was really so little. Nothing compared with the Duron 750... this rocked!

I took the "heat spreader" off of mine, but those were some brittle chips. Large chunks crumbled off the edges until the CPU was only partially functional. I keep the heat spreader on my keychain to this day.

I killed a K6-III+ by trying to use it without the heatspreader. Oops. The extra cooling didn't help anyway; those chips just weren't designed to clock high. They were incredibly brittle. I had even put foam tape in place, like the Socket A Athlons, but it was still cracked easily. If only they were circular dies. :)

Huh, why bother when you can run UT99 on latest hardware with everything cranked up + max FSAA and AF possible. There is also enhanced OpenGL engine with loads of cool features like tesselation, HDR etc. There is even OpenAL output engine for it!
But yeah, UT99 was running freakin awesom through S3 Metal library.

I took the "heat spreader" off of mine, but those were some brittle chips. Large chunks crumbled off the edges until the CPU was only partially functional. I keep the heat spreader on my keychain to this day.

I remember that the 550Mhz version was so difficult to achieve that so few was taped out working from AMD fabs. I remember that this one with the Voodoo3 chip warm my entire room... :LOL:

I remember that the 550Mhz version was so difficult to achieve that so few was taped out working from AMD fabs. I remember that this one with the Voodoo3 chip warm my entire room... :LOL:

Yeah, those 550's were extremely rare. I can only recall coming across two of them in all my years of servicing and selling PCs.

Back