George Carlin dead at 71

Now, this is what I call bad news.

I watched his recent stuff and while remaining as sharp as ever, as far as the spirit's concerned, he seemed tired. Simply put he started to look his age.

The guy was the best American stand-up comedian alive... Now, he's the best dead one, I guess. (Richard Pryor and Bill Hicks are contenders for that title, but I'd still give Carlin the edge)

There really is no justice, George Carlin dies and Carlos Mencia is still allowed to rampage millions of TVs and hundreds of theather stages.

Pryor was awesome in a lot of ways, but his great stand up period was actually somewhat brief, then he moved on to movies. Carlin stayed true to his roots and kept putting out the highest quality stand-up for forty years. I don't think anyone can touch that record.

I read this morning about Carlin dying and it's been a while since I've been personally disappointed by the news of someone dying I don't even know. His standup is revered as absolutely controversial profanity laced comedic genius. I've always been fond of almost everything he ever did on all fronts. I was most fond of his book "Brain Droppings." The man had capacity and range, most people tend to overshadow his work he did with children's television with his more controversial side. May he rest in piece.

One final note, it always cheers me up to see his mugshot from his "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television" incident:

http://fusionanomaly.net/georgecarlinmugshot.jpg

He surely was one of the better guys out there. His comedy was fully of funny and his politics were full of truth turned into funny. The guy was blunt, said what was on his mind and had the whole audience laughing with him.

He will be missed.

Good one geo.

indecent but not obscene.
Well, considering obscenity is just made-up religious nonsense, nothing is obscene in my mind. Now, some things are gross, but that's not hardly the same thing.

This, I think, was something that Carlin really tried to get across, and I applaud him for it.

Well, considering obscenity is just made-up religious nonsense, nothing is obscene in my mind. Now, some things are gross, but that's not hardly the same thing.

This, I think, was something that Carlin really tried to get across, and I applaud him for it.

My reply was actually the supreme court ruling at a trial regarding Carlin's Seven Dirty Words act. They ruled his act "indecent but not obscene".

I personally am never offended by words but only their intent.

My reply was actually the supreme court ruling at a trial regarding Carlin's Seven Dirty Words act. They ruled his act "indecent but not obscene".

I personally am never offended by words but only their intent.
Ah, didn't know that, thanks :)

I'm late to grief here but... this was the worst news I had heard in some time. For those who watched his most recent HBO special his age really did start to show. I remember watching it and thinking "he doesn't have much time left." George Carlin to me is the second best comedian of all time, just barely behind Bill Hicks but both of them should be revered and their work heard by all. They are both greatly missed by me.

Back