Plasma > LCD

OLED are said to reach mass production in 2011, alternate technologies like SED and FED be dead. So that's probably the tech with the greatest potential, there's even talk of directly emitting polarised light for stereo 3D.
I'm not sure there will be huge TV made from them at first, though.

For big picture I'm hoping for a breakthrough in lighting, such as a really, really powerful LED that you could make a projector from. (I like to see the lamp as the main component in a projector)

The problem with LEDs is that they are not all that efficient and unlike filaments they don't like to be very hot ... they could probably make say 500 Lumen LEDs right now, if they were designed for water cooling.

So SED is really dead? :cry: Was it litigation or were there technical problems?

SED isn't dead, it's just sleeping. Canon won their court case, but decided that because of the market conditions, they wouldn't bring the technology to market for a few years. It's always the case that the tech could be superseded a few years down the line and never appear. I'd say SED still might be more desirable for manufacture given that they've displayed prototypes larger than OLED/FED.

FED seems to be much more dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, Canon President Tsuneji Uchida told the Financial Times that due to the current economic situation “new display products are not introduced much because people would laugh at them.”

So they're holding on to SED until the economy improves. :neutral:

I'm not familiar with FED; how does (did?) it compare to SED?

I'm looking so much towards SED that I think I'll buy one during the initial shipments. You know the ones that are very limited rollout to select stores and cost like $5k+. I'll sell everything I can and borrow as much as I can in order to afford it.

Back