Finally about ready. New Comp.

Ugh! This is the sort of headaches I didn't want. BAH! Well unfortunately I have to go get my boys, get them cleaned up & then take them to there mothers an hour away for the weekend. So by the time I get back live chat support ought to be closed for the weekend. FECK!

I updated the bios & it did fix the boot issues. Odd thing is the computer & bios both say my CPU speed & mem timings are correct but CPU-Z doesn't. Is this a problem with CPU-Z not working properly in Vista64?

Do you have EIST Speedstep enabled in BIOS?

I would have not gotten the MSI mobo but rather the eVGA mobo. I have it and I have not even updated the BIOS cuz its just rock solid. Even my roommate got the same one I have and he has no problems at all.

And you seriously should not use nTune. That thing is a piece of garbage.

nTune only works for XP I found out. The Vista version is called nVidia System tools. Anyway, I was using it to try & determine if my hardware speed were reporting properly.

The comp is completely fixed now. Last question I can come up with so far is. My Mobo has an optical out, & its forcing 2 channel sound. Is there a way to bit stream the sound out? I've looked in sounds & its saying there isn't any speakers being used but that's because I am using the optical out.

Onboard audio of course for now. 7.1 Channel, Azalia (HDA) of which I am having a hard time finding drivers for. This isn't a realtek solution? Never heard of Azalia.

Great. Good to see you have the system up and running now.

As for how to set the optical out to bit-stream, I don't have any idea.

Azalia is a High Definition Audio Specification as set by Intel. Plenty of motherboard designers use these specifications to implement it through various means. I think of it as the next-gen AC-97 audio standard.

Intel said:
The Intel High Definition Audio Specification describes an architecture and infrastructure to support high quality audio implementations for PCs. The Specification defines the register-level interface, physical link characteristics, and codec programming model as well as codec architectural components. This specification is intended for hardware component designers, system builders and device driver (software) developers.

Implementation of the High Definition Audio Specification requires a license from Intel. Contributors to the High Definition Audio Specification have signed the High Definition Audio (“Azalia”) Developers Agreement and have provided input to the specification under the terms outlined in that agreement. Implementers that have signed the High Definition Audio Specification (“Azalia”) Adopter Agreement are licensed to produce products based on the specification under a reciprocal, royalty-free license to certain intellectual property rights from Intel and other Contributors and Adopters for their products that are compliant with the licensed versions of the High Definition Audio Specification.

Your mobo probably uses a Realtek ALC audio chipset, but it's hard to say without knowing the precise motherboard.

I've got those boxes checked. The problem is the computer thinks there isn't any speakers plugged in.

Edit: Or Vista has no idea there is an optical out & its being used.

Edit again: There is a Realtek driver on the Mobo CD but it says its not supported. :(

I believe is using the onboard audio, which frees him from the hassles of Creative drivers.

Back