PSGL Advantages

I'm pretty sure about it infact.

I'm pretty sure (ok, so I'm 100% sure) you're wrong on that.. It's just a PlayStation implementation of an OpenGL interface.

Can't call it OpenGL unless you go through some kind of certification/validation process, as far as I'm aware. So something 'GL-like', such as PSGL, fits the bill quite nicely, no?

Dean

yeah I think it is to low level for everyone to use. I've be wondering for a while, how much faster is libgcm compared to PSGL on the same scene? or has no one tested that?.

It doesn't really work like that. Both PSGL and GCM are methods to create command buffers. So there is no difference in shader performance or ROP or whatever. GCM does give you the opportunity to create better command buffers and to do that in less CPU time. That's the advantage.

Oh, and do you really think console developers know the expression "too low level". ;)

I'm pretty sure (ok, so I'm 100% sure) you're wrong on that.. It's just a PlayStation implementation of an OpenGL interface.

Can't call it OpenGL unless you go through some kind of certification/validation process, as far as I'm aware. So something 'GL-like', such as PSGL, fits the bill quite nicely, no?

Dean

Yes it does, and thank you for the info.

FWIW at the risk of starting rumors, last time I talked to someone who might actually know, they said that the intent was to eventually expose RSX through Linux. But that was a couple of months ago and he said it was due to happen fairly soon.

Considering they dropped linux support for the slim, it looks like Linux is being tossed out on it's arse.

No idea why, surely there is no dedicated hardware needed to run linux

Considering they dropped linux support for the slim, it looks like Linux is being tossed out on it's arse.

Actually, the Education thing seems to have a Linux with RSX enabled. So that's interesting.

Linux users aren't really setting the PS3 Linux world alight with the resources they have available. What would they do with RSX exactly? Homebrew games? They are better avenues for that on more open platforms (XNA). The only reason to dabble with PS3 Linux is for the thrill of Cell development. Everything else is covered by other platforms. And alas, Cell development hasn't gone whoosh. It doesn't seem to have garnered the interest of the Amiga days, which I was hoping for. :(

I disagree. the lack of access to the GPU is pretty much the one thing holding it back. Also, I think there's plenty of drive to develop for both the Cell and RSX for homebrew games, applications or otherwise.

Anyway, I always thought the restriction was to prevent any potential piracy through Linux.

Sorry but the discussion confuses me. So what API is generally used for graphics in PS3 games?
It's called libgcm. A quick search of B3D will show threads that go into more detail about it.

Dean
Thanks for clearing that up. Imagine they were using OpenGL because of the RSX roots.

Last edited by a moderator:

So can a user flatout not load Linux onto a Slim? If so, is it via firmware lockout? Whatever the case, someone will break through the "inability" and get Linux on the PS3 Slim, as saying you can't is pretty much just another challenge to tackle for hackers.

Whatever the case, someone will break through the "inability" and get Linux on the PS3 Slim, as saying you can't is pretty much just another challenge to tackle for hackers.
Hey, maybe this is how Sony are trying to generate interest in PS3 Linux? Reverse psychology. :mrgreen:

I don't think they'll manage it. It'll need a custom firmware, which no-one's managed yet, and fiddling with the hypervisor driver to get it to work with the hardware differences.

So can a user flatout not load Linux onto a Slim? If so, is it via firmware lockout? Whatever the case, someone will break through the "inability" and get Linux on the PS3 Slim, as saying you can't is pretty much just another challenge to tackle for hackers.

Another challenge? They never managed to crack the first challenge ... :D

People seem to have suggested that the availability of Linux on the PS3 has so far prevented hackers from wanting to crack the system - theory being that the best hackers are Linux fans who have nobeler, scientific intentions rather than just wanting to have "DRM free games" and/or make a profit selling mods. I highly doubt that theory and am much more inclined to agree with Shifty on this one. But I guess we'll find out soon enough then. ;)

Yeah, I don't think PSGL has anything to do with PS3 Linux.

I maintain that removing PS3 Linux is a bad move. It has burnt even more goodwill/trust/faith external folks have put into Sony. Some things cannot be measured by $$$.

Hey, maybe this is how Sony are trying to generate interest in PS3 Linux? Reverse psychology. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I am really considering getting a PS3 fat while they are still around, just for the Linux. But then again, I should have access to DevKits again Real Soon Now. :runaway:

Seriously, I am really considering getting a PS3 fat while they are still around, just for the Linux. But then again, I should have access to DevKits again Real Soon Now. :runaway:

You have the skillset to make a lot of nice tests with CELL for sure, but somehow, especially given the much bigger potential userbase which could install Linux for free on PS3 compared to PS2 Linux, I have not seen here in the B3D CELL forums and on other forums (like ps2dev.org, etc...) the excitement and user/pro-dev involvement that I have seen with PS2 Linux...

Beside GCC for PPE and SPU and the CELL docs made available by IBM (you got the equivalent for both CPU and GPU on PS2 too though)... have you seen kick-ass pro-developers quality stuff like this for PS3 Linux?

http://window.terratron.com/ps2linux/

SPS2 + VCL + SVVUDB + GSVNC = experience quite close to the one real developers had...

Sure you got a little less RAM than the retail PS2 to play with, but you could obtain performance very close to a real dev-kit's peak (and there are demos that prove that).

Only problem was having to deal with virtual to physical mapping (you could only lock non swappable memory in 4 KB physically contiguous chunks)... but most devs would do the same trick in retail games.

You knew all that... I cannot help but giving props to Sauce every time I can :D.

Back