Quake Wars Demo Oot (360)

Is it an online MP-only demo? I'll have to wait the usual 7 days before I can check it out.

I'll let you know soon. Still DLing (Bloody Virgin media freaking crippling my Broadband bandwdth to a quater the speed between 5pm and 9pm....bad medicine) :devilish:

The game is MP. Sinple player campaign is locked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Campaign is locked because a campaign is 3 maps and the demo only has one. You can play instant action with bots offline. I recomend playing training first to get a grasp of the game mechanics. Unfortunatly, online play on the demo is absurdly restricted to two hours, So, keep in mind that you are playing with a bunch of newbs, the game gets far more involving once you understand it's intricacies.

I played my two hours last night, bought the game today and played all night. I have yet to see anyone be able to host a 16 man game without nasty lag, but people were fine with my hosting once I kicked the playercount down to 14. I also had a few lockups durning map changes. Regardless, after the way reviewrs slammed it, I am shocked with how good of a port it is.

Campaign is locked because a campaign is 3 maps and the demo only has one. You can play instant action with bots offline. I recomend playing training first to get a grasp of the game mechanics. Unfortunatly, online play on the demo is absurdly restricted to two hours, So, keep in mind that you are playing with a bunch of newbs, the game gets far more involving once you understand it's intricacies.

I played my two hours last night, bought the game today and played all night. I have yet to see anyone be able to host a 16 man game without nasty lag, but people were fine with my hosting once I kicked the playercount down to 14. I also had a few lockups durning map changes. Regardless, after the way reviewrs slammed it, I am shocked with how good of a port it is.

Part of the problem is that it wasn't that exciting a game on the PC to begin with, especially when compared to the RTCW games.

Part of the problem is that it wasn't that exciting a game on the PC to begin with, especially when compared to the RTCW games.

I agree with this. It just wasn't fun at all. Frankly, I don't like being given a set of absolute objectives just to fight the other side, and I don't think it's arcade-y style lends well to a large Battlefield style game that is really trying to flesh out "epic" battles. Battlefield's conquest mode works well because objectives are created by the situation of the team and individual, and are not shoved down your throat like in ET:QW, hence each round can still be similar yet unique at the same time because the individual players will decide for themselves what they want to carry out. It's more fun that way, and I think it works out for the better. Plus BF2 has jets, something ET or the console BFs don't have.

I played the game last night and it certainly looks cool and seems to have a lot of diff things going but there is just something lifeless about it. For example, in the CoD4 or BF:BC beta's I die and get pissed or get a good kill and feel good but in here it's all very emotionless and feels like I'm just going through the steps.

I played the PC beta (I have the full version but have not played it) and this was the same map and feel. The action was fast, but the brown level and drab graphics just compound the feeling that it's just another BC clone with a sci-fi twist. Note to iD, the quake/Doom IP are not worth milking anymore.

I played the game last night and it certainly looks cool and seems to have a lot of diff things going but there is just something lifeless about it. For example, in the CoD4 or BF:BC beta's I die and get pissed or get a good kill and feel good but in here it's all very emotionless and feels like I'm just going through the steps.
Doesn't the same go for any game when you are playing against a bunch of people who don't know what they are doing? Unfortunately, that is all you'll get in the demo with the 2 hour time limit, but I assure you I've had plenty of thrilling moments in the PC version as well as on the 360 last night.

As someone who played a lot of RTCW on the PC and the Xbox, as well as RTCW:ET, I enjoy how bringing ET to the Quake universe has evolved the game. Also note that id has been building their gamplay since before the BF series even existed, as RTCW came out about a year before BF1942.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the same go for any game when you are playing against a bunch of people who don't know what they are doing? Unfortunately, that is all you'll get in the demo with the 2 hour time limit, but I assure you I've had plenty of thrilling moments in the PC version as well as on the 360 last night.

As someone who played a lot of RTCW on the PC and the Xbox, as well as RTCW:ET, I enjoy how bringing ET to the Quake universe has evolved the game. Also note that id has been building their gamplay since before the BF series even existed, as RTCW came out about a year before BF1942.

A little OT, but: the main problem with RTCW (and compounded in RTCW:ET and QW:ET) is that they expect too much from pubs. Too many objectives, maps that are too complex for first-time players.

Playing RTCW in a good, organized team is incredible, but if your team isn't really together (like you're bound to find in pubs) you're just going to fail horribly, and it gets very frustrating, very fast. BF2 is better than RTCW at that: things still can fail horribly, but it's a lot more tolerant. A ranking system makes it a little more tolerant, but still. It's something of a pity, because I preferred the way hitboxes in RTCW and derivatives worked better than I liked the ones in BF2.

(...) Plus BF2 has jets, something ET or the console BFs don't have.

Which, at least to me, is actually an advantage. They weren't implemented that well in BF2, balance-wise. I haven't played QW:ET to really be able to tell very much about the balance, though.

Which, at least to me, is actually an advantage. They weren't implemented that well in BF2, balance-wise. I haven't played QW:ET to really be able to tell very much about the balance, though.

Depends on which side of the cockpit you're in when it's a balance issue. Sure you have lots of powerful weaponry as well as speed, but you're also quite vulnerable to SAMs a-plenty and other fighters. Only balance issue was when other jets would kill the other team's jet spawn, which could easily be remedied with a "No attacking/base raping the Uncaps/main base until all capable points have been taken" server message upon server connection. Plus it's always hilarious when some stupid pilot runs into a tree or even collides with another aircraft XD

Back