Question for PS3 owners

Fu3lFr3nzy

Regular
I know theres been a surge of PS3 threads lately, but I dont want to steal their thunder so I decided to make my own thread and ask about certain features that the PS3 may or may not have. For those wondering, yes I did search these on google but some answers are hazy :cry:

1. Do you get a new 1 year warranty if you decide to pay $___ to get the console fixed

2. Do they return the same console you sent out or do you get a refurb(refurb is what I get from online users so far)

3. Which Linux OS do you recommend?

4. Can you install codecs on the PS3? (iirc some said yes and some said no, so im confused :oops: )

5. If the console cant play certain divx/xvid files, can you use VLC player to play them?

My main concern is the DivX/XviD playback since I plan on getting a 320GB HDD and storing my collection of animes on it, though I do not know whether they are divx or xvid or neither? (theyre just in an avi container and thats it)

They play just fine on my X360 but I've read that PS3 has its share of problems playing divx/xvid files which had me concerned.

Apologies for the rambling. Thanks in advance :smile:

1) most CE manufacturers do not extend the warranty of repaired units
2) this is up to the manufacturer (or, more precisely - the repair center)
3) there is a lot of info on running yellow dog linux on PS3, but I believe Ubuntu runs as well
4) you can run linux, so yes
5) through linux

Since divx/xvid playback seems to be your primary concern, I'll share my experience with it:
Fantastic! Image quality is improved over watching the same content (on the same screen) from my PC. The XMB makes it really easy to playback media. Out of hundreds of divx/xvid DVDs in my collection, so far only my Chapelle's Show Season 1 disk cannot be read by my PS3.

All-in-all, it's a fantastic media player, and I've heard when you pair it with YD Linux it's virtually unbeatable in terms of ease-of-use and compatibility.

I know theres been a surge of PS3 threads lately, but I dont want to steal their thunder so I decided to make my own thread and ask about certain features that the PS3 may or may not have. For those wondering, yes I did search these on google but some answers are hazy :cry:

1. Do you get a new 1 year warranty if you decide to pay $___ to get the console fixed
3 months I would speculate, that's the extension you get after in-warranty service.
2. Do they return the same console you sent out or do you get a refurb(refurb is what I get from online users so far)
Likely refurb, depends on the problem (again that's the case for in warranty service).
3. Which Linux OS do you recommend?
I use Debian over NFS, without X (don't need it), but I guess Fedora or Yellow Dog would be safer for first timers, though I don't like either. If Ubuntu support is good enough, that would be even better.
4. Can you install codecs on the PS3? (iirc some said yes and some said no, so im confused :oops: )
on game OS no (beside a wma enable option on XMB), on linux yesish but probably you won't need to install anything more when you have mplayer or vlc.
5. If the console cant play certain divx/xvid files, can you use VLC player to play them?
On linux ,sure
My main concern is the DivX/XviD playback since I plan on getting a 320GB HDD and storing my collection of animes on it, though I do not know whether they are divx or xvid or neither? (theyre just in an avi container and thats it)

They play just fine on my X360 but I've read that PS3 has its share of problems playing divx/xvid files which had me concerned.
When the divx support first came, it played all the files I tried but the xvids I encoded.
After another update everything was fine.

The worst case I think, you can reencode problematic ones on linux possibly using a usb hdd for temp as respective partitions are not visible from each OS, if you want to keep and watch everything from Game OS partition, which I would probably do. A media server is another alternative.

I think Ubuntu is the easiest to install and takes the least resources

Actually, Fedora 7 is the easiest to install. It is also the only officially supported distribution by IBM for the SDK.

Yellow Dog used to be supported, but it is still very easy, and it has SDK 3.0 embedded in it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its nice to have some things cleared up :D

Hopefully this thread will serve a purpose for people with the same dilemma as me in the future ;)

Regarding DivX:

Sony's is also the only console to be completely Divx certified, unlike the limited support the format enjoys on the 360. "The recent Xbox update does not support full DivX playback; Microsoft has added support for MPEG-4, which is not the same thing as full DivX Certification," Bruce Lidl, PR manager for DivX Inc., told Ars Technica. "In practical terms, it is true that some DivX files will play back on the Xbox, because DivX is in part based on the MPEG-4 standard. But many early versions of DivX video will not play back on the console, and the device has not been tested to guarantee an acceptable level of quality and full support for DivX video at the proper resolution." In contrast, the PlayStation 3 is fully certified to work with DivX in all its incarnations, a large selling point for people with Divx content already on their network.

Hope that helps.

What is the "connect to media servers option" in the ps3?
Everytime I try it, I get no "media servers found "

What is it for?

You can set media file sharing between your computer and the PS3.

You can do this either with Media Player 11 or TVersity

Both your PS3 and your PC have to be connected wither wirelessly or with wire on the same routrer.

So here is how it works.
1)Assume that your PS3 and your PC are on the same network and you have file sharing enabled on your PC.

2)You set folders for file sharing on Windows Media PLayer 11 or TVersity

3)Your PS3 will display an icon under each meda category. You can watch from your PS3 photos, movies, and listen to audio files that are stored on your PC as if they are on your PS3

upscaled divx/xvid (h.263) &/or h.264 via XMB?

Since divx/xvid playback seems to be your primary concern, I'll share my experience with it:
Fantastic! Image quality is improved over watching the same content (on the same screen) from my PC. The XMB makes it really easy to playback media.

Does the PS3 via XMB (since i dont think Linux has SPE acceleration) upscale xvid/divx &/or h.264?

I thought it only upscaled DVDs. Am I mistaken?
I can't even remember where I heard this, but I remember hearing it.

Glad to know it wasnt the component cables. I tried the same cables on a LCD monitor and it works fine (720p/1080i). I guess the tv was doing the same scaling problem as when I tried connecting my PC to it 2 years ago :cry:

I'll try it in the living room "Sony" HDTV tomorrow. Hopefully that'll work :D

You can set media file sharing between your computer and the PS3.

You can do this either with Media Player 11 or TVersity

Both your PS3 and your PC have to be connected wither wirelessly or with wire on the same routrer.

So here is how it works.
1)Assume that your PS3 and your PC are on the same network and you have file sharing enabled on your PC.

2)You set folders for file sharing on Windows Media PLayer 11 or TVersity

3)Your PS3 will display an icon under each meda category. You can watch from your PS3 photos, movies, and listen to audio files that are stored on your PC as if they are on your PS3

My ps3 and the PC are connected to the net through the same router, so , you mean I can stream music to my ps3! Wow ! that would be great as I have around 20 gb of music on ps3! Will the connection allow for smooth playback? or will it keep buffering and stuttering with videos? Also, will the quality be intact?

My ps3 and the PC are connected to the net through the same router, so , you mean I can stream music to my ps3! Wow ! that would be great as I have around 20 gb of music on ps3! Will the connection allow for smooth playback? or will it keep buffering and stuttering with videos? Also, will the quality be intact?

Nope, it won't stutter if you have a decent network speed. Though depending on the setup it will take a bit longer for a file to start (e.g. wireless connection).

The quality will stay the same as the original stored on your PC, as long as the PS3 supports the format natively, the rest will be converted on the fly, e.g. to MPEG2 for video files.

You can also subscribe to pod casts, etc. via the media server.

Some update: of the 8 animes i've tried so far, only 2 work! :devilish:

I was afraid this would happen, and now I have to convert a ton of videos just so the PS3 can read it, which is disappointing since my X360 reads them no problem :???:

Some update: of the 8 animes i've tried so far, only 2 work! :devilish:

I was afraid this would happen, and now I have to convert a ton of videos just so the PS3 can read it, which is disappointing since my X360 reads them no problem :???:

If you're using a program such as TVersity to stream, it'll transcode the files on the fly so the console can play them. Transcoding can be set on a per-file basis as well I believe, or at least on a per-directory basis.

I installed TVersity, but when i add my music folder for sharing, ps3 only shows only some folders inside it, not all ! The size of my music folder is 46gb, is that the problem?
I tried another folder on my other harddisk, and it showed up fine!

I even tried Winamp's media server, but my music folder's content never show up fully. Infact only one folder shows up, which has a few folders inside it !

Any help!?! :(

Back