Insomniac to go cross platform?

This may be true, but it also means that they may not be able to optimize R2 the way they do now though. Extra effort and consideration would have to be spent on cross platform development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much to reply to so I'll keep it short so I can get back to playing Secret Files: Tunguska :) Resistance is not an inferior game, I did almost play through the whole thing after all whereas I gave up on PDZ very early. I just think they would have done much better if they were multi-platform, thats all. I don't think they would have ever sold as much as Gears even with the same amount of advertising because I don't think it's as good of a game as Gears, or Halo 3 for that matter. But it's a good enough product that it merited a 360 version. The port of the first Resistance to 360 would have been incredibly easy and very cheap, 4 to 5 people could have handled it. If they had done that, then they would be getting way more hype and interest in Resistance 2. Instead it's a missed opportunity.

This is the equivalent of claiming that Halo 3 being XBox 360 exclusive was a missed opportunity. I don't believe that the argument makes much sense at all.

Fact of the matter is we don't know how Resistance would have done as a cross platform title. We don't know what it would have taken to port it from one console to the other. We don't know how it would have been received by the press or by gamers. We can speculate, but in the end what was done was done.

I do not believe the idea of "quick and cheap" port works at all for what Insomniac tries to represent as a company and a publisher. In my mind, their reputation is built much in the same way Blizzards is. People don't expect 300 versions on every different platform for each released Blizzard game. They don't expect the best graphics in the world or even for the game to be released on time. What they do expect is a well done entertaining PC game. Insomniac is currently doing the same thing. Instead of working on "quick and cheap" ports, they spend that effort into making their next game better. In the long run, they will probably never sell as many copies as some of the more opportunistic publishers.

On the other hand, if they continue to do games as well as their current ones they will be able to sell games by name alone. Very few publishers can do that. That in and of itself gives them a whole different type of freedom. They can make a new IP like Resistance or whatever else they might dream up because they know the IP name doesn't have to sell the game. Personally, I'd much rather work at a place like that where I can focus on making my ideas come to life in a great game than an "IP factory" that churns out the same IP over and over again until they can't squeeze anything more out of it.

He insulted our beloved Resistance, get him.;) Even today when you compare other FPS's to Resistance feature for feature, most will fall very short. 15 Hours SP and 4 extra guns on the second play through, 2 player split-screen, 40 player online, 7 online gamemodes, dedicated servers, clan support, separate friendslist and messaging from the lobby. And there are still lot of people playing it today. Every once in a while we play some Resistance with our clan and its immediately noticeable where other games are lacking. IMO no other FPS has surpassed Resistance on PS3. And only R2 looks set to improve it.

I agree with you RFOM had a very involving SP experience. Personally I think the bland color pallet along with some of the model designs for the enemy hurt the game. Hale is a somewhat tame leading man compared to Master Chief... But having said that the game play, weapons and story were all extremely well done.

The other issue RFOM had was Sony's marketing; they really needed to do a better job with the hype initially. Say what you want about Halo 3's launch with the dirt bikes speeding up and down the street and Master Chief handing out the first copy; it was ridiculous but it moved units in a very short time. RFOM has sold very well but it took much more time in part due to install base but also in part due to a general lack of awareness and hype.

I agree with you RFOM had a very involving SP experience. Personally I think the bland color pallet along with some of the model designs for the enemy hurt the game. Hale is a somewhat tame leading man compared to Master Chief... But having said that the game play, weapons and story were all extremely well done.

The other issue RFOM had was Sony's marketing; they really needed to do a better job with the hype initially. Say what you want about Halo 3's launch with the dirt bikes speeding up and down the street and Master Chief handing out the first copy; it was ridiculous but it moved units in a very short time. RFOM has sold very well but it took much more time in part due to install base but also in part due to a general lack of awareness and hype.

The colour pallet is a lot better in R2 without losing that darker edge. I always liked the enemy models, it made RFOM stand out from other FPS's. Hale's constant silence did make his a little boring as a main character. Cartright and Ratchel Parker were more interesting than Hale. For R2 they seem to be focusing more on the story. And Hale looks seriously pissed off on that game mag. cover. Give him some chimera powers and there may be some hope for him yet.

I have always found Sony marketing a bit lacking compared to Microsoft's big games. Maybe its because they have so many different first party games and want to show diversity instead of focusing on the more popular genres.

They are focusing on MGS4 right now. The next big push will probably be LBP.

But are they pushing? They did in Japan, apparently, but I've also heard that there were hardly any MGS4 promos in the US (the MTV ones apparently are Konami's). Anyone have any idea what the situation in Europe is?

A major worldwide media blitz is very expensive (TV ads is not the only way). If you observe your surrounding more carefully, you can see assorted MGS4 marketing programs for the past one month. Japan seems to have the most exposure, US second and Europe third.

It looks like Sony is using MGS4 to convert existing gamers (PS2 folks). We will know in July how they perform in June. I am sure many are eager to comment on the numbers.

People seem to be ignoring the fact that we really don't know the financial agreement between Sony and Insomniac. Sony is both platform holder and publisher, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that Insomniac sees more money per disc sold compared to other multiplatform publisher options.

What we know is the arrangement with Sony seems to be working pretty well for them. They are the best SMB to work for, and have been growing pretty fast since before R1 released.

Didn't want to start a new thread as there was already one.

I stumbled upon this.
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1077373p1.html

Overheard at the Game Developers Conference: Insomniac Games has become a multiplatform developer. The company, best known for the Ratchet & Clank and Resistance franchises, is allegedly creating cross-platform software for both PS3 and Xbox 360, according to a trusted source who spoke with IGN under the condition of anonymity.

What do you guys think. Insomniac has been a little bit in the shadow this gen on the PS3, and since they are independent and clearly thinking about money, (referring to the 60fps is not worth it thingy) so this could very well happen.

Shouldn't be hard to land one given their track record. It was almost pretty much a matter of time too. As said in the beginning of this gen, independent exclusives doesn't make financial sense any more.

I will always support Insomniac. Great people, best of luck ! If they do go multiplatform, be careful not to become one of the many me-toos !

I want to see them on Wii + Move, and iPad + iPhone also though. ^_^

This is sorta scuttlebutt, though. It's not even 'we heard from someone at Insomniac', but more 'someone at GDC said something like this'.

It wouldn't be surprising if they did as they have the potential to more than double unit sales if they execute well. What's interesting is that would also put them a step closer for being able to release on PC if they wanted to. As it's easier to port to PC from X360 than from PS3.

That said, I'll give the rumor more credibility when there's better sources for the information.

Heck, it's only a matter of time, IMO, before Bioware goes multiplatform. Especially now that they are owned by EA.

Regards,
SB

It wouldn't be surprising if they did as they have the potential to more than double unit sales if they execute well. What's interesting is that would also put them a step closer for being able to release on PC if they wanted to. As it's easier to port to PC from X360 than from PS3.

That said, I'll give the rumor more credibility when there's better sources for the information.

Heck, it's only a matter of time, IMO, before Bioware goes multiplatform. Especially now that they are owned by EA.

Regards,
SB
You mean with Mass Effect, or Bioware in general? They already have a MP game (Dragon Age). ;)

I think there's less and less of a chance of ME coming to PS3 now if BioShock is anything to go by. Unless they were already working on the PS3 version and it's far enough in development.

I don't know. I think it's unlikely as Insomniac could become a premier PS3 developer on the same level as Naughty Dog on PS3 while multiplat they will be overshadowed by talented exclusive developers on both sides.

Honestly with R2 they showed that they struggle to make a game in their yearly release cycle with a decent level of polish and get big tech advancements with each game so it would be even harder to get to the front of the pack with multiplat development. Really they need to shape up and get the help from Sony's tech divisions (ICE, SCE Cambridge) to get up to speed with the latest PS3 developments and become the developer they are clearly capable of being.

If Naughty Dog can sell 5m Uncharted 2 copies (which is well within the realm of possibility) then it isn't the PS3 userbase holding Insomniac back from greatness and awesome sales. They need to look within and not blame the environment for the problems...

It does make it interesting that we haven't heard anything about Resistance 3 yet. They usually have some reveal or at least talk about their next title around GDC and this yrs GDC is late to boot.

Then again, probably just a warmed over version of they same old rumor that floats around from time to time.

This is sorta scuttlebutt, though. It's not even 'we heard from someone at Insomniac', but more 'someone at GDC said something like this'.
Yeah, it could be anything. I'm thinking someone looked over some of the code snippets Insomniac released (such as water surface animation), thought "hey, this isn't platform-specific", talked to a friend ... and three~four communication hops later it transforms into something huge.

Back