Insomniac to go cross platform?

What about the PS2 and PSP? Currently only developing on the PS3 could mean that they are not bothering with those.

Is there any software on PS2 and PSP that is selling gangbusters to make it worthwhile for them to go to just those?? I don't recall ever seeing any of that software in the top 10?

I think insomniac is going multiplatform. I just listened to the latest podcast beyond (IGN) episode 46, and they asked the insomniac guys if they'll develop for other platform other than just sony's with the new north carolina location. This was followed by a strong uncomfortable silence and few moments they had to explicitly state that they've enjoyed working with sony and state that they are not ready to discuss these issue at the current time....

Its pure speculation of course, but I think one of the following is going to happen:
1) Resistance 3 is going to be multiplatform unless sony owns the IP
2) rachet is going multiplatform unless sony owns the IP.
3) new ip at the N.C is going to be multiplatform.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879600p1.html

Sony owns the IP for both Resistance and Ratchet.

Is there any software on PS2 and PSP that is selling gangbusters to make it worthwhile for them to go to just those?? I don't recall ever seeing any of that software in the top 10?

Actually, Crisis Core and God of War broke the top 10 in March's NPD. All you need is triple A software for the system. I am unsure how they have faired since.

Let´s be honest.. Ratchet has been the same game for the last seven years. Resistance was not really a top tier FPS. It got much more exposure than it really deserved because it was an exclusive launch game..

Being Sony exclusive gets them bigger exposure and much bigger budget/marketing than any 3rd party would grant them with every title selling million+ guaranteed.

Let´s be honest..
Let's also try to be accurate...
Ratchet has been the same game for the last seven years.
Ratchet one was released at the end of 2002. The latest RnC was released end of '07. That's five years, not seven. The same IP having the same basic gameplay element shouldn't be surprising - most franchises, including many longer lived, are the same basic game - which is mostly why people buy it...

Resistance was not really a top tier FPS.
It wasn't? What was wrong with it? Gameplay was very good; weapons original; original setting; 48 player online; split-screen coop. How many better (console) FPSes were out prior to R:FoM?

Being Sony exclusive gets them bigger exposure and much bigger budget/marketing than any 3rd party would grant them with every title selling million+ guaranteed.
You make it sound like they're some two-bit, half-arsed developer with consumers only buying their wares because they're being brainwashed by marketing. If their titles don't appeal to you, that's fine, but you're seriously under-appreciating them as a developer if you don't think their work sells on its own merit.

I'll leave this here, expecting Patsu to turn up and tell you how Sony's brainwashing has cost him months of his life playing that mediocre Resistance game ;)

Mario has been the same game for 25 years... you still hop on things! :p

Such an odd comment to make, though. I mean, if you go straight from the first R&C to Deadlocked, the stark contrast is readily apparent. Tools of Destruction was more of a return to original form, but I'm pretty sure they'll take the series down the same path. Or, rather, down the same "moving away from the original title to include more things and go other directions to differentiate the next game from the previous" path.

Perhaps they won't want to or need to as much because they already have their dark, entirely-combat-oriented game out there, but Insomniac likes to push, so... they gotta push somewhere. ;)

I think for R&CF2 they'll go for more open enviroments like Sargasso (the one with the dinosaurs). I noticed on their podcast that they picked up the positive feedback for that level.

I think for R&CF2 they'll go for more open enviroments like Sargasso (the one with the dinosaurs). I noticed on their podcast that they picked up the positive feedback for that level.

That is probably my favorite level in the game. When I need raritanium I go there and hoard it :eek:

Let´s be honest.. Ratchet has been the same game for the last seven years. Resistance was not really a top tier FPS. It got much more exposure than it really deserved because it was an exclusive launch game..

R&C is amazing ! Don't care whether it's the same game for the last 7 years because this is my first time. Sargasso is the most fun level I have played in a game for sometime. The tyrannosauruses are both scary and fun to play against, the hand gliding and treasure hunting are cool too. I also like the rock cutting mini-games. These greatness can all be found in 1 level. The door decrypting is fun too but it can be played only in another level.

Resistance is a first tier FPS in my eyes. The production value is not as great because it was a launch game, but the gameplay more than make up for it. The multiplayer games can more than hold its own against the best too. Even two years after launch, it is still being played by many people. So I don't think your comment is accurate at all.

May be, but they are also more productive and effective than most outfits. They have more hit games within the same time frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resistance was not really a top tier FPS.

He insulted our beloved Resistance, get him.;) Even today when you compare other FPS's to Resistance feature for feature, most will fall very short. 15 Hours SP and 4 extra guns on the second play through, 2 player split-screen, 40 player online, 7 online gamemodes, dedicated servers, clan support, separate friendslist and messaging from the lobby. And there are still lot of people playing it today. Every once in a while we play some Resistance with our clan and its immediately noticeable where other games are lacking. IMO no other FPS has surpassed Resistance on PS3. And only R2 looks set to improve it.

Ratchet and Clank was probably the best game I played in 2007 - and I purchase anywhere from 1-3 games a month. It was so fun my wife who hates video games got addicted to it. I really don't care if it was original, innovative, new, unique, or whatever - it was a GREAT game period.

Also, out of all the shooters I played last year, Resistance in my mind comes in second only to Bioshock. While I understand that is personal preference, I would definitely place it on the same tier as CoD4, Halo 3, Bioshock, and others. I actually thought it got far less exposure than it deserved. It had solid gameplay, a decent story, a good mix of both unique and "oldies but goodies" types of weapons, and a decent difficulty level/learning curve.

You are entitled to your opinion, but right now I have Insomniac next to Square Enix and Blizzard on my list of developers who don't disappoint. I actually wouldn't mind them going multi-platform if they could do so and retain their same quality. I do see that chance as unlikely. I just believe their games deserve as wide an audience as they can give them.

He insulted our beloved Resistance, get him.;) Even today when you compare other FPS's to Resistance feature for feature, most will fall very short. 15 Hours SP and 4 extra guns on the second play through, 2 player split-screen, 40 player online, 7 online gamemodes, dedicated servers, clan support, separate friendslist and messaging from the lobby. And there are still lot of people playing it today. Every once in a while we play some Resistance with our clan and its immediately noticeable where other games are lacking. IMO no other FPS has surpassed Resistance on PS3. And only R2 looks set to improve it.

I agree and I think thats why Insomniac is better by going multiplat. People tend to pigeon hole Resistance because it was a launch title and the PS3 didn't sell well the first year so it never receive wide spread exposure.

I don't own a PS3, but have played Resistance. I didn't find it too enthralling and kind of bland but hey I think much less of the Halo franchise. But there exist a lot of gamers who haven't been really exposed to it and just dismiss it because of its less than stellar sales at release which was a direct result of its limited market potential at the time.

It could have easily pulled a COD4 if it would have been multiplat because there wasn't much competition in the next gen online gaming realm at that time outside of GeOW.

Resistance is at is best when you start experimenting with all the weapons and their secondary fire modes. With all the diversity in enemies and guns there tons strategies to try ou. I didn't start appreciating it until my second play through. The first time I relied to much on the carabine. The game did start off a bit slow and the demo didn't really show off the excellent gameplay. But it still sold over 2 million copies. Going multiplatform probably would meant far more sales, but I dont think they are going to do that anytime soon. R2 will probably do a lot better. Their community support has been excellent so they are building up quite a loyal fanbase. And they intend to start the game off with a big opening like God of War. And besides, who can say no to everything they have announced far R2 so far.:p

Edit: I would have liked it if Resistance had gotten more exposure, and have it set the standards for other games to follow. Things like clan support, the party system and messaging would have made things a lot easier in games like CoD 4 and Team Fortress 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree and I think thats why Insomniac is better by going multiplat. People tend to pigeon hole Resistance because it was a launch title and the PS3 didn't sell well the first year so it never receive wide spread exposure.

I don't own a PS3, but have played Resistance. I didn't find it too enthralling and kind of bland but hey I think much less of the Halo franchise. But there exist a lot of gamers who haven't been really exposed to it and just dismiss it because of its less than stellar sales at release which was a direct result of its limited market potential at the time.

It could have easily pulled a COD4 if it would have been multiplat because there wasn't much competition in the next gen online gaming realm at that time outside of GeOW.

Again your one of those people who have just "played it"... If you haven't played the entire game then you really don't understand it. The game is amazing towards the end. And its done great as far as sales go. Its sold over 2 million copies. Resistance 2 will most likely do even better.

And how could it have pulled a COD4? Its a completely different game in every aspect. Besides the fact that Call of Duty was an established game series with what 5 games already out under the CoD name before CoD4 was even released?

And I for one do not believe it having been Multiplatform on release would have really done much better as far as sales. They would have most likely lost the ability to bundle it with a console, probably received less marketing since it was an unestablished IP, and the release more than likely wouldn't have met the PS3 launch date. Not having been a game that came out with a system launch would have put it behind a catalog of FPS's instead of the only FPS at the time.

Back