Insomniac to go cross platform?

Not to say it won't happen, but I don't see any suggestion of it in the new studio announcement:
Your highlights in that quote are the best evidence to the contrary - they don't do cross-platform, but they're inheriting a PS3 engine? Not likely to be shifting focus away from PS3 then!

Insomniac always says things like currently to highlight that they are an independent company, can do what they want, and are currently PS3 exclusive because they choose to be.

Insomniac always says things like currently to highlight that they are an independent company, can do what they want, and are currently PS3 exclusive because they choose to be.

Exactly, and given the choice between someone who wants to be loyal and someone who has to be I'll take wants to be any day of the week.

As to what they'll be doing, game engine, tools, psp, or psn games, take your pick. There's certainly a market out there for their game engine and tools though it's IMO the least likely choice. They just had a psp game done for them and while I liked the Secret Agent Clank demo maybe they now feel they could've done better in-house. PSN titles makes the most sense esp. if you throw a serial game into that mix but just smaller games that are a creative outlet or proving ground for the talented people they have makes sense. They're also about to release psn title and maybe they just had fun doing it and want to do more.

Of course there's the possibility they'll add a full BD title to their rotation, so they have lots of choices without leaving the tent they're currently in. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but the good thing with Insomniac is that it won't be long.

Well if they do then Sony deserves to be kicked in the ass for not paying whatever it takes to keep them exclusive.

Edit: Didn't one of the Ratchet games have a Captain Quark 2D platforming mini game?I would love to see Insomniac do some really good 2d platformers for PSN.

I'd like PSN development. It'd be nice to see the top devs creating little games where they can cast their creative nets a little wider.

COD 4 just eclipsed 10 million copies sold. I'm sure the Insomniac games sell well and all but if the amount of money they make now is good, double that surely isn't something that's easy to ignore.

I'm sure the Insomniac games sell well and all but if the amount of money they make now is good, double that surely isn't something that's easy to ignore.
It depends. If all you care about is money, it would be hard to ignore. If what you're after is to make a living producing games you are proud of in an environment where you're happy to work, more money doesn't necessarily improve on that. To have the same success from a cross-platform title, Insomniac would need to put in a whole lot more work. They have restated several times that they don't do cross-platform and don't care for it, and I can't see that opinion changing regardless of how well other cross-platform titles do commercially.

Or putting it another way, if all they cared about was sales, why aren't they producing footy games? ;)

Yes :p By that I meant developing for a non-PS3 platform, which is different to a cross-platform game like COD4.

I think the blog entry clears up any lingering doubts (if there really was any)

What's the point on giving them the heavily refined PS3 engine and tools if they are going to develop for other consoles.

My guess is they want to branch out yet again, have maybe 3 or 4 different types of games on the go.

I think the blog entry clears up any lingering doubts (if there really was any)

What's the point on giving them the heavily refined PS3 engine and tools if they are going to develop for other consoles.

My guess is they want to branch out yet again, have maybe 3 or 4 different types of games on the go.

The only thing that would make sens was developing for Wii or portable, opening up a new studio for 360 would not make sense at all because taht would mean "different" titles which it's absolutely unlikely (in that case if doing mulitplatform ports they'd extend the exisiting staff in one place, not moving somewhere else reducing communication inside the team).

PSN all the way.

It depends. If all you care about is money, it would be hard to ignore. If what you're after is to make a living producing games you are proud of in an environment where you're happy to work, more money doesn't necessarily improve on that. To have the same success from a cross-platform title, Insomniac would need to put in a whole lot more work. They have restated several times that they don't do cross-platform and don't care for it, and I can't see that opinion changing regardless of how well other cross-platform titles do commercially.

Or putting it another way, if all they cared about was sales, why aren't they producing footy games? ;)

Agreed and if there werent any smoke about this, we wouldnt even be having this discussion. I guess the assumption there would have to be the fact that insomniac feels that developing multiplatform and having a healthy work environment are mutually exclusive. I don't think thats the case, clearly Insomniac has figured something out because i'm sure there are still single platform devs who work at sweat shops (figuratively). That would indicate, to me anyway, that multiplatform development is not what makes it suck, its probably quite a few other things instead.

My guess, they're developing for Wii. It seems to be all the rage as these dev houses are growing up together and having families of their own. They want to start making games they can play with their kids and that family members might buy and enjoy. Ted Price seems like just that kind of guy.

I think insomniac is going multiplatform. I just listened to the latest podcast beyond (IGN) episode 46, and they asked the insomniac guys if they'll develop for other platform other than just sony's with the new north carolina location. This was followed by a strong uncomfortable silence and few moments they had to explicitly state that they've enjoyed working with sony and state that they are not ready to discuss these issue at the current time....

Its pure speculation of course, but I think one of the following is going to happen:
1) Resistance 3 is going to be multiplatform unless sony owns the IP
2) rachet is going multiplatform unless sony owns the IP.
3) new ip at the N.C is going to be multiplatform.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879600p1.html

Also, I just want to mention that since this speculation hurts the PS3. This will be a topic of fanboy wars for the next few days and this speculation will certainly appear in kotaku shortly.

Back