Resident Evil 5

There's nothing scary in chapters 1, 2 and 3...except for the Uroboros boss level.

BTW not dying doesn't mean you're any good, it could just as easily mean you run away from enemies like a scared little girl and taking pot shots, rinse repeat. Or it could mean you stockpile first aid like it's going out of style, :LOL: How good you are is how you rank on the levels. In other words how many enemies you kill and how fast and your accuracy. ;)

BTW if you're good you'd be on profession level now like me with your previous Veteran stages completed with A or S rank.:LOL:

The true test of your worth is when you play Mercenaries mode and get all A or S rank. You have a long way to go my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing scary in chapters 1, 2 and 3...except for the Uroboros boss level.

BTW not dying doesn't mean you're any good, it could just as easily mean you run away from enemies like a scared little girl and taking pot shots, rinse repeat. How good you are is how you rank on the levels. In other words how many enemies you kill and how fast and your accuracy. ;)

BTW if you're good you'd be on profession level now like me with your previous Veteran stages completed with A or S rank.:LOL:

Oh god,an epenis contest? Are you for real. I'm not even going to go there.

Uh...you can't say the point of a game is for it to be crap. None of these things build up tension - RE5 is not tense or scary and none of those things artificially make it so.

Ok so it doesn't work for you, great, thanks. You obviously haven't played other RE games, and they all have certain conventions which make them unique and different from other games that may seem similar.. Since you think the game is crap, just do yourself a favor and get rid of it instead of continuing to complain about it.

No amount of complaining will get any of the gripes you have about the game changed (unlike KZ2).

BTW not dying doesn't mean you're any good, it could just as easily mean you run away from enemies like a scared little girl and taking pot shots, rinse repeat. Or it could mean you stockpile first aid like it's going out of style, :LOL: How good you are is how you rank on the levels. In other words how many enemies you kill and how fast and your accuracy. ;)

The true test of your worth is when you play Mercenaries mode and get all A or S rank. You have a long way to go my friend.

On my first run through I was ranked A on all levels, with S on combat. But that is irrelevant...I would not enjoy the game more if I was incredibly good at it.

It was not me who mentioned the controls as being the reason for it feeling tense. Instead I said very much the opposite - I said the atmosphere, the sound, the AI does not make RE5 scary. It's predictable, and there is no play on shadow and light like they said there would be. RE4 was scary - it had atmosphere. RE1 and RE2 similarily - shit scary that you'd shudder and jump. But games have moved on, RE tried to take the horror to another location - Africa. Their reason for doing so? The put you in bright sunlight to make strong contrasts with shadow scray - where is this?

Moreover, you don't have to be excellent at a game to be able to critique it; in order to say that it doesn't have the enjoyment or fulfill the potential it could have done. Especially since this game is meant for a wider audience than the previous games.

Nah it just makes me smile when noobs think they're good yet they whine all day about the controls.

And I am not a noob and I am not whining about the controls. I am not adverse to them, I don't particularly dislike them - but they can not be seen as a positive in RE5. They don't do what they used to do in the previous RE games. This wasn't my main criticism anyway - I mentioned the controls weren't great in passing, but since so many reviews have criticised them, you are on the major defense about them.

Ok so it doesn't work for you, great, thanks. You obviously haven't played other RE games, and they all have certain conventions which make them unique and different from other games that may seem similar.. Since you think the game is crap, just do yourself a favor and get rid of it instead of continuing to complain about it.

No amount of complaining will get any of the gripes you have about the game changed (unlike KZ2).

That's not the point specwar. I was incredibly hyped for RE5, it was one of my most wanted games and it was one of the most hyped. Making promises of a new location, horror in action gameplay.

However, when I am to critique the game and discuss how it doesn't have good AI, that the controls are overly limited, that the level design is not spectacular I am only defending my case for how Capcom could have done much more with this game. It feels like they just didn't know what they wanted the game to be. It has no clear vision.

And yes I've seen zombie movies - I'm a huge fan of them. The fear they create, the excitement, their unpredictability. Good AI doesn't necessarily incredibly smart AI. It means creating enemies that are fun to kill. All the enemies in the game (not just the "zombies"....which they aren't in RE5) are predictable. They make the same repeated actions and attacks in the same succession. You can predict their moves before they do them.

And being able to like one game you were incredibly hyped for, does not mean you have to like all of them and ignore why the game could have been better.

However, when I am to critique the game and discuss how it doesn't have good AI, that the controls are overly limited, that the level design is not spectacular I am only defending my case for how Capcom could have done much more with this game. It feels like they just didn't know what they wanted the game to be. It has no clear vision.

And I'm trying to tell you that those very things you want changed give RE5 it's unique feel. Any longstanding franchise has certain conventions that may or may not make sense, but they persist simply for the fact that they've been around for so long and are just part of the game. Like the cardboard box in Metal Gear - I think it's silly, but its been in every MGS game.

And yes I've seen zombie movies - I'm a huge fan of them. The fear they create, the excitement, their unpredictability. Good AI doesn't necessarily incredibly smart AI. It means creating enemies that are fun to kill. All the enemies in the game (not just the "zombies"....which they aren't in RE5) are predictable. They make the same repeated actions and attacks in the same succession. You can predict their moves before they do them.

You're a big fan of zombie movies and you think they're unpredictable? WTF?? Exactly which zombie movies are you watching? The typical portrayal of zombies in movies are lumbering, dumb, mindless corpses that attack the protagonist with no regard of consequence to themselves. They just stand around and wait for you to show up and then attack. The zombies in RE5 as a whole are a lot smarter than the ones in Dead Rising, and I don't remember you complaining about how dumb those zombies were.

In Chapter5 now and still waiting for it to get scary and tense..
What is scary is that I think I may be spending almost of much time working my inventory menu as I am actually "playing" the game. Oh..that's right,constantly rearranging my inventory is part of the gameplay. Pick up,combine..oops I need that ,exchange, oops not enough room.... should I discard... Ok what can I ...out of ammo..I can't pick up nor can my partner...what now...
It get's tedious,and the action is not spectacular enough to justify it all.
It has it's moments where it's really fun though,and thank god it looks great.
They really need to go back to back the drawing board for the next game.

Constantly rearranging and constantly running around circles are telltail signs noobness. I'd hate to see what a person like you packs when going on a trip...

Sorry but they don't need to go back to the drawing board. What they need is you noobs not buying the game and complaining because you simply suck. Why not just get rid of the game and play something like Dead Space...lol, I'm pretty sure it has a better inventory system...not.

If the controls are awkward to you then you suck, if the inventory is awkward to you then again you suck. Why don't you just let your AI partner pick up the stuff so you don't have to deal with inventory, that way you don't have to suck as much. Or maybe you could wright to Capcom and have them release a patch that allows your player to have a friggen backpack full of space so you could collect every piece of garbage that pops up in the game and allow you to carry a full arsenal of weapons and ammo..that way you also don't have to run around and be able to stand your ground. :LOL:

Seriously, the whining and hating is getting really stale.

In Chapter5 now and still waiting for it to get scary and tense..
What is scary is that I think I may be spending almost of much time working my inventory menu as I am actually "playing" the game. Oh..that's right,constantly rearranging my inventory is part of the gameplay. Pick up,combine..oops I need that ,exchange, oops not enough room.... should I discard... Ok what can I ...out of ammo..I can't pick up nor can my partner...what now...
It get's tedious,and the action is not spectacular enough to justify it all.
It has it's moments where it's really fun though,and thank god it looks great.
They really need to go back to back the drawing board for the next game.

I actually like the inventory - one of the great things about the game. And I like swapping things between the two - passing over my gun. I like that Sheva can wield any gun you give her.

Constantly rearranging and constantly running around circles are telltail signs noobness. I'd hate to see what a person like you packs when going on a trip...

Sorry but they don't need to go back to the drawing board. What they need is you noobs not buying the game and complaining because you simply suck. Why not just get rid of the game and play something like Dead Space...lol, I'm pretty sure it has a better inventory system...not.

If the controls are awkward to you then you suck, if the inventory is awkward to you then again you suck. Why don't you just let your AI partner pick up the stuff so you don't have to deal with inventory, that way you don't have to suck as much. Or maybe you could wright to Capcom and have them release a patch that allows your player to have a friggen backpack full of space so you could collect every piece of garbage that pops up in the game and allow you to carry a full arsenal of weapons and ammo..that way you also don't have to run around and be able to stand your ground. :LOL:

Seriously, the whining and hating is getting really stale.

Seriously RudeCurve - you need to see what critiques are. I do this for living. It's my job to critique games. It's not an attack on you or the series - it's exploring how the game could have been better - what's wrong with it etc. RE5 isn't a game made for a limited audience of who's really f***ing good at the game - it's made for the masses to enjoy. Games as entertainment. And I'm saying that it's too easy and predictable - not that it's too hard.

And I'm trying to tell you that those very things you want changed give RE5 it's unique feel. Any longstanding franchise has certain conventions that may or may not make sense, but they persist simply for the fact that they've been around for so long and are just part of the game. Like the cardboard box in Metal Gear - I think it's silly, but its been in every MGS game.

You're a big fan of zombie movies and you think they're unpredictable? WTF?? Exactly which zombie movies are you watching? The typical portrayal of zombies in movies are lumbering, dumb, mindless corpses that attack the protagonist with no regard of consequence to themselves. They just stand around and wait for you to show up and then attack. The zombies in RE5 as a whole are a lot smarter than the ones in Dead Rising, and I don't remember you complaining about how dumb those zombies were.

And I'm saying that the changes made already have made RE5 not feel like a RE game. You mention a cardboard box - that's a useful and amusing item. I'm not talking about those kind of things - I'm talking about design decisions. And the MGS series is the perfect example - it evolves every time. The controls improve, you're given more options with less buttons, there's new actions to play with, and new gameplay scenarios. Games evolve and I fully expect RE6 to change lots of the things that fail in RE5 and still retain the RE atmosphere - and in fact feel more like an RE game than RE5.

Yes but they have more moves and "animations" - they come out of nowhere etc.

That would be because I haven't played Dead Rising.

I'm talking about zombies spinning on the spot. Or the guys with the big gattling guns just walking round in circles at a slow pace...

And as said before - if these zombies are meant to be so dumb, how are they wielding guns and riding motorbikes?

I actually like the inventory - one of the great things about the game. And I like swapping things between the two - passing over my gun. I like that Sheva can wield any gun you give her.

I like having a partner as well and swapping is cool,I just wish the mechanism by which it happens was a little more fluid.I'm exageratting a bit but I do find it
slows down the pace and therefor excitement of the game. It feels like in order to allow for you to work your menu in game,they had to add a lot of slow quiet moments(like the old typewriter rooms). I just prefer my games to be paced differently.
And it's not that's it makes the game difficult,this is the easiest RE game so far IMO. It just feels tedious.
The game is good,but just not great and great is what I've come to expect after playing the series from the beginning.

Picked up this game as a rental in an online gaming service and am thoroughly enjoying playing it with my girlfriend on splitscreen co-op. We're both amateurs/first timers at Resident Evil so it took us a while to get the hang of the controls and when to run, how to shoot, etc, but we are enjoying it a lot now :)

In terms of graphics, it does get toned down for splitscreen and I can sense slowdown but its not a problem for us.

Definitely a good co-op game to play.

Really enjoying RE5 so far. Been playing it in Co-op mode online with a friend. Is quite a breath of fresh air to have a game specifically designed to accommodate 2 players working together. Haven't tried single player mode but would imagine the experience and fun factor being way less than Co-op mode. Especially if as others have said the AI of your partner is less than stellar.

I have the PS3 version and have not noticed any frame rate drops. At least to my eyes things appear to be running at a constant 30fps. Also so far have not noticed any co-op lag or stuttering, everything seems to be running very nice.

The only issue I have at the moment is that having quit the game and later continued it appears that my Co-op partner no longer has their weapon loadout or items. The game does not appear to save the contents of the Co-op players inventory.

And I'm saying that the changes made already have made RE5 not feel like a RE game.

That's ridiculous. RE5 totally feels like an RE game, even with the changes. The core mechanic is the same in all of them: You stand in place and shoot and slow deliberate moviing enemies. What other game does this?

And as said before - if these zombies are meant to be so dumb, how are they wielding guns and riding motorbikes?

Zombies are actually humans infected by the Las Plagas parasite and turned into majini. According to the RE5 files in the game (as agame reviewer shouldn't you have read this?):

The parasite attaches itself to a human host and is assimilated by the centeral nervous system. Infected humans lose all rational thinking facilities and are wholly subject to control by another type of Plaga known as control Plaga (usually another infected human). Hosts may lack rational thought function, but they still retain human-level intelligence such as the ability to understand and communicate with each other. They can also use tools and are surprisingly crafty when working in groups against an enemy.

There's your explanation right there why zombies can be so dumb and at the same time appear to have high level functions.

That's ridiculous. RE5 totally feels like an RE game, even with the changes. The core mechanic is the same in all of them: You stand in place and shoot and slow deliberate moviing enemies. What other game does this?

RE4 was already a big step away from the old and terrifying Resident evils. I'm not scared while playing RE4 or RE5 but I'm still scared to play the old ones. I know its silly but still.

RE4 was already a big step away from the old and terrifying Resident evils. I'm not scared while playing RE4 or RE5 but I'm still scared to play the old ones. I know its silly but still.

The old ones were scary because of the music. Basically the only time when there was elevator music was when you're safe in the room with the inventory/storage chest. All other times the music was foreboding. In RE5 the levels don't even have music until something happens or about to happen.

RudeCurve, I am looking for a game to buy. The following was an earlier conversation in this thread:

Hated what i played of the demo but after giving the full game a chance it really is great!

patsu said:
What is great about the game ? I wasn't moved by the demo but didn't really hate the game at all. Just indifferent to horror games in general.

I only played the demo part set in the marketplace with the guy with the giant axe. Thats the worst part in the game so far for me now (apart from maybe the pesky
gators
), and im about halfway through. The gameplay in that segment really goes against the controls because you are forced to run around avoiding enemys which amplifies the problem of not being able to move and shoot at the same time, after playing dead space it just felt horrible to me. The AI partner is actually very handy most of the time exept when you are trying to avoid enemys so the demo brings out the major flaws of the AI too.

Apart from that segment enemies are mostly thrown at you head on though while you are armed to the teeth which is where the combat comes into its own, and you dont really need to move about too much. I havent even thought twice about dead space comparisons outside of that shoddy demo segment.
I just think the demo was of a bad section of the game that doesnt play to the games strengths while at the same time highlighting its major weaknesses.

Also this is one game where as you get into the groove of things and get a handle of the contros it gets better and better. The game just doesnt demo well imo it really benefits from just sitting down for a few hours and playing it, if you just give it a chance itll reward you with a great experience im sure.

Edit:
Didnt really say what was great about the game did i, just what was wrong with the demo :LOL:

What is great about RE5 ? Do I need a second player to enjoy it ?

RudeCurve, I am looking for a game to buy. The following was an earlier conversation in this thread:

What is great about RE5 ? Do I need a second player to enjoy it ?

I'm really liking it, but I don't think it's for everyone. If you thought the demo was so so, you might think the full game is better, but it probably won't be one of your favorites. The bosses are pretty cool.

Back