PS3 transformable controller and video service rumors

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
http://scrawlfx.com/2008/05/rumors-sony-developing-transformer-controller-video-service-by-e3
The July 2008 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly has some interesting rumors this time around. One of those rumors is that Sony Computer Entertainment are working on a peripheral for the PLAYSTATION 3 that "transforms" into different things, one being perfect for an FPS. It's hard to picture how that would work.

The second rumor is that Sony willl be launching their video service around E3 '08, which makes sense, so they can bring us video content straight from E3 as well as some other stuff.

Sony need to make the most of the controllers they've got, TBH. Sixaxis motion is inconsequential 99% of the time. PSEye is ignored, despite showcasing some awesome tech concepts and WIPs. Dual-shock is out, nothing like we were hoping for, and isn't properly replacing sixaxis. Another controller peripheral that goes underused isn't going to help matters. Hardware is just part of the product, and Sony need to really appreciate this and beef up their software beyond the existing games.

I really don't like this kind of news.

Suppose that the new controller is awsome for FPS games. What will happen when playing online with other people?
Those who don't own the FPS controller will be underdogs. Skill will not be the only factor into play.

valioso said:
Transformable controller.. moving parts seems like a recipe for easy to break.
Liquid metal? :oops:

Anyway Nintendo is already making a bundle on selling cheap plastic "transforms" for the remote, it doesn't mean it's so fragile a concept.

Actually, I'd like the rumor to be true. Easily breakable is a function of bad design. Adoption is a function of will. It shows that Sony is serious about ease of use. Do not be afraid to change where necessary.

Interested in how this transformable controller would work.

I can't wait for a video service. Very interested to see how this will be implemented. Last night I experienced, for the first time, video streaming from GameTrailers site. I would like to have the same experience with Live video streaming. Maybe they can make their E3 conference a live event for PS3 owners or available as a download later that day.

They've got to dump stock somewhere, and despite us Europeans being Sony's home from home, they always shaft us when it comes to things like this.

Ofcourse they do. As long as they got people saying Europe is their home from home and keep buying their products overpriced and months later than the rest of the world there isnt really any reason for them to stop doing it.

Europe just likes it up the ass as just about every company is doing this.

They've got to dump stock somewhere, and despite us Europeans being Sony's home from home, they always shaft us when it comes to things like this.
Like PlayTV (PS3), red PSP, video/voice/text messaging (PSP), and Go!View (download video service for PSP? Humm, I'll trade you.

Ofcourse they do. As long as they got people saying Europe is their home from home and keep buying their products overpriced and months later than the rest of the world there isnt really any reason for them to stop doing it.

Europe just likes it up the ass as just about every company is doing this.
Has anyone thought it might be the import rules that slow the European launch on certain things? It seems to me that services hit Europe a lot faster than products. In the US, it seems to be the opposite in most cases.

Maybe they can watch the film transformers to get an idea of how to engineer the transforming controllers ;)

I am happy with what I have today, the only thing I would hope now is wireless charging system so you never have to go to your controller to plug in charger. Too lazy, but I don't want interruption during gaming. :)

Back