Wikipedia prank?

Mintmaster

Veteran
Not sure how often this happens, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deforestation
Deforestation is the technical term of how good your mom was last night. Generally, the removal or destruction of significant areas of forest cover has resulted in a degraded environment with reduced biodiversity. In many countries, massive deforestation is ongoing and is shaping climate and geography.

Does this sort of thing happen often? I've never seen it before.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the time. You've just been lucky to view pages after an editor has fixed the article.

Okay. I guess I don't visit the high-volume pages very often, and they're probably the main targets of this stuff.

Isn't there a screening process before an edit gets committed?

Isn't there a screening process before an edit gets committed?

Only if a page has been tagged as problematic. There are often warring factions changing the pages, it can actually be kind of amusing to view some of the edit histories.

It's a great soap. And this mechanism is what makes Wikipedia truly outstanding.

It happens that one of the "editors" gets a lot of flack for pushing their agenda, but if you dig into it, the whole process they use to steer things towards neutrality and by which those editors are handled makes it the best and most objective democracy in existence, bar none, in my opinion.

Back