Time to replace my rig

Quitch

Veteran
I can't take it any more, my Pentium IV 3Ghz is just too slow for the modern world. I tried to prolong the life of my box by swapping the Radeon 9800 Pro for a Radeon X1950 Pro AGP, but the CPU is too much of a bottleneck and AGP is end-of-life, so it's time for the system to be taken out back and shot.

And a hot new system brought to life, woo!

Thing is, I haven't been keeping up with the world of GPUs so are we expecting new things any time soon, or the best of the best already out there? I've been holding off because we were so close to moving from one generation to the next I thought buying an 8xxx would be a waste.

Is now the time to buy, or should I wait just a little bit longer? While I'll trying to be save money by using the speakers and audio card from my old system, I'll be making a joke of this by buying a new wide-screen TFT (currently I have a 21" CRT monster), probably in the region of 22 to 24" with a resolution of 1920 x 1200, just to future proof the old girl. Whatever card I get would need to be able to handle that resolution in the world of FPS gaming, STALKER being the most demanding thing I have at the moment.

Mid-June should see new GPUs from ATI and Nvidia, so you're best off waiting until then.

Back