Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

How can you say that? They'll have less disposable income on games since they won't be able to sell them. This will effect new game sales.
You're basically saying no one who buys new games considers selling them...

For this to mean anything you have to go out and do an exhaustive study on how many people who trade games in buy new games and not just other used games.

The ratio may be extremely bias towards those who just keep the used cycle of games going.

Used games take out 2+ billion, they put in 1 billion. Net loss: 1 billion. Your argument is basic math fail.
You're assuming that 2 billion spent on buying used games would instead be spent on buying new games. Guess what, gaming isn't a basic necessity in life, people will just stop buying them as much. That 2 billion from used market is going to go away, not get diverted to new games.

To complement the DD model....

I think the next media should employ some type of per disc authentication.

1. user gets disc via mail (from purchasing through a mail catalog that comes with the console)
2. user calls some phone hotline, gives their unique console id and unique game id.
3. system generates a code that the user would enter into their system.
4. user can play game

This cover all problems. If you have great internet connection, just use DD, otherwise use the mail system.

That's a terrible inconvenience, and how well would it work with the next MW title that sells 1 million units on day one and has a million people phoning up for authentication?!

I presume also your plan is that when the disk changes hands, the new owner has to phone and pay an activation fee to enable the game. How do you handle sharing games, just simple borrowing between friends?

That's a terrible inconvenience, and how well would it work with the next MW title that sells 1 million units on day one and has a million people phoning up for authentication?!

1. people wouldn't be getting their games at the same time.
2. an option for getting codes via SMS text message would also be implemented
3. an option for getting codes via email/web would also be implemented
4. If desired, when ordering the game, the user could request the code with it.

With options (2) and (3) and (4), the system could scale to a million people on release day.

I presume also your plan is that when the disk changes hands, the new owner has to phone and pay an activation fee to enable the game. How do you handle sharing games, just simple borrowing between friends?

well, i'm sure the game makers/console makers could not care less. You can't borrow DD titles and that makes game makers happy.

Phoning shouldn't even be needed in this case except when a user has absolutely no way to connect to the internet, at which point you'd have to use a phone similar to activating a copy of Windows without an internet connection.

So when the disc changes hands, you'd have to purchase an activation code which is presumably less than the cost of a new game at which point the previous activation code gets deactivated.

As for sharing they could do something similar to the original Zune, where you could loan out a music title to someone for a limited amount of time. The thing with that is, it's completely up to the publishers whether they wish to allow that or not. And as on the Zune, while they allowed it on the first version, they made MS stop doing it in subsequent versions.

But there are certainly ways to allow loaning out a copy of your DD or online activation games.

Regards,
SB

The smart thing would be to find a wireless provider in the states and put in 3g connections and do so for every country. Activation can't be that big. It is surelly less data being sent than a novel on a nook or kindle. So they should be able to provide the conneciton for a very low cost on each console. That way they can do mandatory activation on all consoles next gen. Put in a code bundled with the game and boom. no more used market

F2P (free to play) and microtransactions are a bit different from digital distribution. What that article is talking about is how revenue from digital, whether it be digital distribution, DLC, or the F2P model, is set to overtake revenue from the sale of physical media.

So, if we dig into that, it's still unlikely that DD sales is going to overtake physical media revenue. However, once you throw in micro-transactions, DLC, etc. that's where they are predicting digital revenue will surpass revenue from physical media.

Regards,
SB

So, if we dig into that, it's still unlikely that DD sales is going to overtake physical media revenue. However, once you throw in micro-transactions, DLC, etc. that's where they are predicting digital revenue will surpass revenue from physical media.

I agree, but it show a general trend that more things will go digital.

Oh no doubt about it. Especially, if like PC, consoles start to get the option to buy DD day and date with physical media.

Personally, I have absolutely no doubt that DD sales account for more then 50% of revenue on PC and a large part of that is due to being able to buy DD games day and date with physical media versions.

Regards,
SB

Personally, I have absolutely no doubt that DD sales account for more then 50% of revenue on PC
You meant units instead of revenue, I hope:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...Physical_In_PC_Standalone_Game_Unit_Sales.php

That doesn't mean that digital downloads are making more money, however. According to the NPD, games sold at physical retail have a greater marketshare by dollar revenues: 57 percent versus digital's 43 percent, because of a higher average selling price at retail

Yes but the ntake into account the actual money going to the developer and steam.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/10...with-outerlights-co-founder-about-bloody-goo/

Should you get a deal, the usual is 20 percent royalties, but after the retailer takes their share of 50 percent, you are getting 20 percent of the 50 percent left (so 10 percent of retail price). That doesn't sound too bad, until you realise that the developer is the one that actually pays for the development, the publisher has just advanced the developer their share of the royalties to pay for making the game.

and this

The self-funded, digitally distributed model should be the future, it brings 70 percent of the retail price back to the developer,

So even if a game is selling for $20 on steam vs $50 at gamestop the developer will make alot more on steam. They'd get $5 from retail and $14 on steam.

Looks like Mass Effect 2 is coming to PSN at the same time as the disc release. It'd be very interesting if we could get sales numbers comparing the two versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Mass Effect 2 is coming to PSN at the same time as the disc release. It'd be very interesting if we could get sales numbers comparing the two versions.

I hope EU gets the same treatment, I was not planning on buying ME2, but if its a DD, then it will be one less disc to have around :)

Back