RV730: First true 256-bit mid-range GPU

Interesting, but a bit skimpy on specs. I have a bit of a problem figuring out how these might be configured - they use the same process as the current RV670 and upcoming RV 770, and provide the same bandwith to the GPU. So, what could the GPU capabilities be that justifies the bandwidth, but is a worthwhile change from the RV670?

Additionally, clocks are low, which imply that the processing capabilites should be correspondingly beefier to match the memory system. Hmm. Low clocks, decent bandwith - this could be an interesting part from a performance/watt viewpoint. A 9600GT challenger?

It would be a bit strange if the specs are just like RV670's. Perhaps it is RV670 with RV7's core tweaks.

EDIT: slyne beat me, although I doubt it is the A12.

yes there's already G94, and RV670 in the same price range.. only problem of G94 being, G92 is also insanely low priced :), sometimes only 20€ difference or even the same price between a 9600GT and a 8800GT.

yes there's already G94, and RV670 in the same price range.. only problem of G94 being, G92 is also insanely low priced :), sometimes only 20€ difference or even the same price between a 9600GT and a 8800GT.

As mentioned, it could be a respun, rebranded, and repositioned RV670.
The G94 is similar to a G92 with less shader resources, and it's also possible that the RV730 takes a similar path relative to the RV770.
Speculation: Cutting the RV770's ALUs to half the number (-> 240) and using lower clocks (and possibly a lower power process) would cut costs and drop power draw significantly, allowing access to more systems.
Performance should be roughly RV670 class, depending on what improvements AMD has made in the RV670 -> RV770 transition. This still doesn't beat the G94 though, so it would presumably be marketed roughly where the 3850 lies right now, otherwise it will have problems, (and it may still have them if nVidia does a good 55nm respin of the G94).

If they do take the speculated approach, this would be a part that I would personally find quite interesting. Decent performance, roughly 50W power draw at full blast and very low at idle, nice feature set and priced low enough for impulse buying. :)

As mentioned, it could be a respun, rebranded, and repositioned RV670.
The G94 is similar to a G92 with less shader resources, and it's also possible that the RV730 takes a similar path relative to the RV770.
Speculation: Cutting the RV770's ALUs to half the number (-> 240) and using lower clocks (and possibly a lower power process) would cut costs and drop power draw significantly, allowing access to more systems.
Performance should be roughly RV670 class, depending on what improvements AMD has made in the RV670 -> RV770 transition.

Plausible. I like it.

This still doesn't beat the G94 though, so it would presumably be marketed roughly where the 3850 lies right now, otherwise it will have problems, (and it may still have them if nVidia does a good 55nm respin of the G94).

It is a mainstream part that shouldn't sell for more than $150, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it around $100 before too long.

If they do take the speculated approach, this would be a part that I would personally find quite interesting. Decent performance, roughly 50W power draw at full blast and very low at idle, nice feature set and priced low enough for impulse buying. :)

Absolutely. If ATi can't win marketshare back with a part like this, they never will.

Looks like a great part. I need one for a WoW box. Before anyone slams WoW, I need one to run two instances of it @ 1920X1200.

Back