Playing Dirty - Greenpeace dismantles PS3, 360 and Wii

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Greenpeace has dismantled the PS3, 360 and Wii to check for some 'bad chemicals'. And it has found some, unsurprisingly (or we wouldn't have this report). Main point: if these were classified as toys, then they wouldn't pass the EU regulations - so at the very least, we have an answer for that question of whether or not these consoles are toys ;) .

http://www.greenpeace.nl/raw/content/reports/playing-dirty.pdf

It's quite curious, actually, how Nintendo in particular has been hit the hardest out of the three by Greenpeace as they have been found to have no exisiting environmental policies, which is weird since the Wii has the most antiquated architecture this generation (technology-wise) and the energy consumption is lower due to that.

They are only talking about the way it's manufactured not how energy efficient they are I believe.

Dont nibble on your wii kids!

Anyway, is this report done the same way as last time? because nintendo scored very low that time because greenpeace only checked the company websites to see how they produced and gave a score based on that which obviously isnt very accurate.

I personally dont care to much. Those 3 consoles are allowed to be sold her so that means they have passed the required tests and are considerd friendly enough.

When was the last time you chewed on your DVD player? And not the exterior casing, but the actual PCB's and read head(s) and whatnot inside...

I can appreciate their concern over manufacturing waste. But somehow making the innards chemically-inert in a comparable way to kids toys is a strawman fallacy at best. You don't crush your $500 PS3 to stuff the small pieces inside your mouth. Or if you do, then you have bigger problems to worry about than just chemical remnants...

When was the last time you chewed on your DVD player? And not the exterior casing, but the actual PCB's and read head(s) and whatnot inside...

I can appreciate their concern over manufacturing waste. But somehow making the innards chemically-inert in a comparable way to kids toys is a strawman fallacy at best. You don't crush your $500 PS3 to stuff the small pieces inside your mouth. Or if you do, then you have bigger problems to worry about than just chemical remnants...
Some people have to hunger for a while till they can afford a PS3... Im feeling discriminated by your words :cry:

These environmental case studies I always find interesting, especially how in recent times Nintendo got slammed for un-green manufacturing processes just like Apple did. Amazing how the "forward thinking" and "progressive" companies are the ones committing the crime more so than others.

I never thought a device that has dozens of gizmo chips powered by electricity would be safe to chew on or to burn then inhale the fumes. It's nice to have confirmation I guess...

My damn heart hurt seeing those pictures of those people tearing apart those poor consoles.

I think they were concerned more about 360's rotting in the ground after they've 3 red-ring'd the owner and been tossed in the trash. Or all those PS3s left out to decay due to lack of games.

What?? ;)

Is this anything new besides this?

Lots of glossy pictures of next-gen consoles (and the Wii :p) being taken apart, for one. Scope, for another - this doesn't focus on global production, energy consumption, packaging and so on, but on the materials used in the consoles, particularly those that aren't allowed to be in toys.

These environmental case studies I always find interesting, especially how in recent times Nintendo got slammed for un-green manufacturing processes just like Apple did. Amazing how the "forward thinking" and "progressive" companies are the ones committing the crime more so than others.

How so? Have you actually checked how Greenpeace judges these? Last time I checked, they 1) check the website 2) possibly call and ask
Nintendo for example isn't listing their efforts for enviroment friendly manufacturing etc on their site, and apparently haven't answered Greenpeaces queries. However that doesn't tell squat about their policies or how "green" they are in reality, the whole greenpeace list is a bad joke.

Greenpeace has dismantled the PS3, 360 and Wii to check for some 'bad chemicals'. And it has found some, unsurprisingly (or we wouldn't have this report). Main point: if these were classified as toys, then they wouldn't pass the EU regulations - so at the very least, we have an answer for that question of whether or not these consoles are toys ;) .

http://www.greenpeace.nl/raw/content/reports/playing-dirty.pdf

Greenpeace should be dismantled to be checked for bad chemicals.
angry.gif

Or it's Greenpeace kvetching illogically about the companies that will give them the most press attention? Certainly their attitude vis-a-vis Apple is asinine. I'm not going to trust them with the consoles, either.

Here's an interesting Aussie consumer agency report (CHOICE,) about energy usage of various tech products, including all 3 current consoles.

They list PS3 as having the highest energy usage, consuming more energy while idle (on and doing nothing) than either x360 or Wii during gaming.

Here's a Reuter's article on this report... with an interesting quote:

"Our tests found that leaving a Playstation 3 on while not in use would cost almost... five times more than it would take to run a refrigerator for the same yearly period,"

While most consoles aren't left on all the time, some are on quite a lot, for various media functions, and even folding.

Back