*thread split* 360 Warranty/Repair experiences

speedsix

Newcomer
If you return a non falcon for repair do you get a falcon back? Otherwise the refurb is just going to crap out at some point again (even if it does have the additional heatsink)

Speed.. I think that's the main reason that so many people keep suffering repeated problems. There's no sufficient solution to refurbish the 360s, so they do just fail repeatedly.

So far, no problems everything is working fine so far (fingers crossed) but I did want to mention that the power cord is just about the largest plug I've ever seen. And for those people who think there's any sort of exaggeration about the noise level of the 360, there isn't.

It is almost frighteningly loud.

I bought my 360 Christmas 2006. It was manufactured July 2006(non-HDMI) and I'm still running just like I ever did. Haven't even had any problems with reading discs, etc. Purchased the additional 1 year warranty last December. So I'm still covered for non-RROD issues till this upcoming December. I probably end up purchasing an additional year then too. I'm sure if you have any problems it will show up before the 1st warranty is up. BTW, don't worry about the brick or the noise. It never affected my enjoyment of the games.

Tommy McClain

Is it possible to extend warranty less than a year after buying the 360?

Here in the U.S. you can call Microsoft anytime during your initial 12-month warranty to extend for another 12 months(or 24) past your initial warranty. Cost me $30 to do so. They told me I could extend again as long as I did so before the extended warranty was up.

Tommy McClain

No problem. Insurance usually gives you that piece of mind. Just hope you never need it.

Tommy McClain

My friend's 360 (20GB) just RROD'd (GTA4? :p ). He bought it at the end of Summer 2006. Not sure when it was manufactured though. He's sending it in for replacement.

edit: I guess we'll see if he gets a Zephyr or Falcon... or not.

This past January my 360 started making fan noises so I called MS support about it and requested a repair before my 1yr warranty expired (I bought it March of 2007). They said they would send out a return box, but that never actually arrived. The fan noise eventually cleared up so I kept playing. It did keep moving air out the back and it was working fine since then, but last week the thing finally RRoD'ed (I knew it would happen, but on the day before GTA4 was released?! GAH!). It was intermittent at first, sometimes I would get to the DashBoard and be able to load a game, and actually play for awhile, but now it's constant and starts immediately with the RRoD. Luckily MS actually sent out the return box this time, and it's currently en route back to them for repair/replacement. I hope I get a Falcon in return, but I seriously doubt I'm that lucky.

So, count me amongst the masses of RRoD victims.

Speaking of 360 oddities, so the Elite comes with a 120g HDD, right?

I'm playing GTA and there are certain 'hard saves' in the game where it wants to autosave but asks you for a specific memory device.

It shows my HDD as having 109g available. There's nothing else on it except for other GTA autosaves and whatever installation setup was required.

Is my HDD just flawed with bad sectors? I can't imagine that setup and a few autosaves take 11g. Hell, the premium only came with a total of 20g to begin with!

Probably a similar situation to the PS3 with reserved capacity, coupled with alternative values for 'Giga'.

Speaking of 360 oddities, so the Elite comes with a 120g HDD, right?
Yup.

It shows my HDD as having 109g available. There's nothing else on it except for other GTA autosaves and whatever installation setup was required.

Is my HDD just flawed with bad sectors? I can't imagine that setup and a few autosaves take 11g. Hell, the premium only came with a total of 20g to begin with!

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1126903&postcount=144

This past January my 360 started making fan noises so I called MS support about it and requested a repair before my 1yr warranty expired (I bought it March of 2007). They said they would send out a return box, but that never actually arrived.

If it makes you feel better, you're not the only one MS did that to. When I got my first 360, in May of 2006, it had problems right out of the box. MS initially seemed very helpful and promised to send out a shipping box, but it took numerous calls to tech support before the first box finally arrived in December, six months after I initially requested one! I had such pain with MS support, that after the initial bad 360 and two bad refurbs, I finally gave up, and got a refund on the extended warranty I purchased. I won't deal with MS support ever again.

I've been incredibly thick.

Having only just got round to setting up my Elite I've realised I've thrown the receipt away... I don't think there's an official MS registration of hardware site is there? I'm just concerned about the "enforcing" the warranty. Anyone have any ideas? I just want to be protected... just in case.

I've been incredibly thick.

Having only just got round to setting up my Elite I've realised I've thrown the receipt away... I don't think there's an official MS registration of hardware site is there? I'm just concerned about the "enforcing" the warranty. Anyone have any ideas? I just want to be protected... just in case.

Yes you can register online.

https://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx

you have to sign in and select register new device. That's the US link, if you want a different location click the location at the top of the page and select.

Many thanks Alphawolf and apologies because I could've probably found that with a bit of Googling.

I'd panicked after looking (very briefly) through the warranty documentation.

Back