Therapeutic Games Idea

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Hello programmers (I hope).

My son has mild auditory processing disorder. One cause is delay in transmitting data between the halves of his brain.

For example, if he hears a word in his left ear that sound travels (electrically) to the right side of his brain. There it is identified as language and sent back to the left side where language processing occurs. That process - in him and many other people - takes significantly longer than the same processing in the right ear since sounds in the right ear go to the left side for identification and sending to the language center doesn't require another crossing of the brain.

So the theory goes that these processes can be sped up by stimulating growth of the nerve bundle between the two sides of the brain. To do this rapid transmission of data with rewards should work.

So envision a Wii game where four to six tiles appear with words on them. A word matching one of the tiles is then "spoken" into one ear (headphones required) and the child must quickly select the right tile. They must do this so many times under a time limit to progress.

A game like this (I don't think any exists) would prove or disprove the theories and could be hugely helpful to literally hundreds of thousands (many "autistic" kids actually have auditory processing disorder and are misdiagnosed).

Think of a way to turn it into a more fun game an all the better but it has to focus on spoken and written language (both processed in the same place).

I'm thinking of having him play Mario Galaxy with his left eye and ear covered since spatial stuff his handled on the right so the right eye and ear will have to pass it back and forth. His problems, however, only manifest in language in clinical tests...

Any takers?

You may some success with some of the Brain Age games as I believe some of them stress the whole Left/Right Brain schism. Admittedly, it's been awhile since I played though.

Back