NPD April 2008 (Post #16)

Well we now know 188k 360's, and seemingly even less PS3's

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10512&Itemid=2

Full numbers any second, if GAF lives..
Holy cow! If true, that would be very strange. Maybe people already bought PS360 in advance of GTA4?

The way the Wii is selling, I don't see much of a price cut from MS or Sony... maybe MS since they had the smaller pricecut of the 2. I think they both know that market share number is a lost cause, so they are just going to try for max profits.

Nintendo Wii 714,200
Nintendo DS 414,800
PlayStation Portable 192,700
Xbox 360 188,000
PLAYSTATION 3 187,100
PlayStation 2 124,400

Holy cow! If true, that would be very strange. Maybe people already bought PS360 in advance of GTA4?

The way the Wii is selling, I don't see much of a price cut from MS or Sony... maybe MS since they had the smaller pricecut of the 2. I think they both know that market share number is a lost cause, so they are just going to try for max profits.

I think under 200k with the biggest game of last gen launching is a clear indicator that MS and Sony need a price cut. I am sure even the idiots who run the 360 division can see a price cut needs to happen before sales completely die off. I can imagine both consoles doing under 100k very soon if nothing happens. Sony will get a boost from MGS4 MS has nothing coming till GoW2 that is a system seller. The message has been sent by the casual gamers we are not paying 349 dollars for a game console. It is time MS listens to that message and gives up a 50 to 100 dollar price drop ASAP.

I don't get why people are calling for a price cut. It´s not going to help them to fight with the Wii.

But it is strange that they have lost any edge they had on PS3 last year in sales.

I don't get why people are calling for a price cut. It´s not going to help them to fight with the Wii.

But it is strange that they have lost any edge they had on PS3 last year in sales.

Not strange, PS3 is very attractive proposition now with low 399 price, Blu Ray winning the format war, and solid lineup of great looking titles.

If anything it kind of shocks me consistently that PS3 doesn't sell a whole lot more.

A price drop would definitely help, though.

It is not the fight with the Wii it is the fight to stay relevant. A 188k consoles with a monster like GTA4 launching is embaressing honestly. MS should be a shamed for wasting the GTA4 launch. Sony dropped its price by 1/3 and picked up sales the 360 sales are about the same as last year. MS is not losing ground as sony is gaining ground in sales. I am still in utter shock how MS let this slip right through its fingers. How the hell can you waste the sequal to the biggest selling franchise last gen is beyond me honestly. Imagine if GTA4 did not launch would either of sold a 100k units this month?

It is not the fight with the Wii it is the fight to stay relevant. A 188k consoles with a monster like GTA4 launching is embaressing honestly. MS should be a shamed for wasting the GTA4 launch. Sony dropped its price by 1/3 and picked up sales the 360 sales are about the same as last year. MS is not losing ground as sony is gaining ground in sales. I am still in utter shock how MS let this slip right through its fingers. How the hell can you waste the sequal to the biggest selling franchise last gen is beyond me honestly. Imagine if GTA4 did not launch would either of sold a 100k units this month?

GTA didn't sell many hardware on either side, whats the big deal?

NPDaprA.png
NPDaprB.png

the first time wii breaks the 60% marketshare barrier, also its looking by the june/july NPD's the wii will be the best seller.
also i believe >500k even with a pricecut it just wont be attainable

Wow. First place in console marketshare does mean quite a bit, when you consider all the exclusives this will mean for each system. While it doesn't diminish the enjoyment you get out of your machine of course (in the same way Cube/Xbox games had their own fair share of top experiences last gen), it doesn't fare well for giant budget top of the line gaming if there are simply far more people ready to buy cheaper-to-make titles.

I'm interested in hearing if anyone still believes the 360 or PS3 has a chance to #1 worldwide before Nintendo cancel the Wii and release their new system - and why would they do that within four years or so given they'd be on top?

The GTA4 numbers aren't all that impressive to me, honestly. Maybe word of mouth in May will give GTA4 good staying power. We'll see. MS needs a price cut unless they want to keep doing battle with Sony at these numbers in the US.

Nintendo will have this gen so locked up by the time their Fiscal year ends that even the die hard Sonybots and Xbots will have to bow their heads.

GTA4 was released on 29th, the following weekend counts toward may. they've sold 6m copies globally in the first week. the effect will be split between april/may npd data.

Gap between PS3 and 360 goes wider in NA yet again...
Is it enough to make assumptions about 'GTA syndrome' given that game was out on 29th, on a tuesday?

I don't think Sony selling more than in 2007 should count as an achievement. If they didn't, it would widely considered a colossal failure. Remember the sub-100k months? Surely "lifting" to almost match the 360's sales in the GTA month can't really be considered doing fantastically?

And one other thing... does the MS payment for GTA4 day-and-date mean a lot now? I would say definitely, given the numbers likely would have been very different IMO across the last few months if they hadn't. Maybe it didn't give them a boost, but they maintained their spot as equal second (or equal last if that's your view :p) - imagine if GTA4 was PS3 exclusive/timed exclusive?

This gen is quite fun for armchair console war analysts ;)

I don't think Sony selling more than in 2007 should count as an achievement. If they didn't, it would widely considered a colossal failure. Remember the sub-100k months? Surely "lifting" to almost match the 360's sales in the GTA month can't really be considered doing fantastically?

And one other thing... does the MS payment for GTA4 day-and-date mean a lot now? I would say definitely, given the numbers likely would have been very different IMO across the last few months if they hadn't. Maybe it didn't give them a boost, but they maintained their spot as equal second (or equal last if that's your view :p) - imagine if GTA4 was PS3 exclusive/timed exclusive?

This gen is quite fun for armchair console war analysts ;)

There wasn't a payment for GTA day and date, only DLC.

Do you really think Rockstar can afford to ignore ~half the game's overall worldwide sales that will be on 360? Day and date wasn't a choice for rockstar..

Back