Firmware 2.41 available... *

Firmware 2.43 is up. I installed it but couldn't tell any differences :)
The PS Blog will probably say something about it tomorrow.

EDIT: Hmm... in-game XMB seems smoother now.

EDIT 2: Ha !
http://blog.us.playstation.com/

Hi, everyone, I wanted to give you a heads up about PS3 firmware update (v2.43). Unlike previous updates, firmware v2.43 is specific to the Japan region, and only PS3 users there will be required to
install the update. PS3 users in all other regions will not be prompted to download v2.43. However, if you manually initiate a firmware update by clicking on “System Update” under the XMB’s Settings icon, the v2.43 update will be available, regardless of where you are located.
Users outside of Japan do not need to perform this update if your PS3 system software is on version v2.41 or later. However if you do perform the update, it will not cause any issues with your system or add any new functionality.

Yes, it's an interesting new dynamic - I'm sure they've done it partly as a test, so that they can release non-essential updates that target smaller more (maybe not even just region, but for instance game) specific problems without bothering too many people.

On a related note, I hear that some people got an update of Folding@Home tonight, turning that application into Life with Playstation. This update was later taken offline again, so maybe it was also a test.

edit: it may be that you get the update only if you also install the firmware 2.43.

Here's a small shakey youtube:

2.43 is for the Japanese video rental service next week.

Ah, I did not know that. But hey, with Sony's firmware updates you never know if there are 'hidden features' ... ;) Or rather, you do know, you just don't always know what they are. ;)

On a related note, I hear that some people got an update of Folding@Home tonight, turning that application into Life with Playstation. This update was later taken offline again, so maybe it was also a test.

edit: it may be that you get the update only if you also install the firmware 2.43.

Someone posted on the EU Playstation board that it was a mistake. Should be available shortly though.

patsu said:
2.43 is for the Japanese video rental service next week.

That's not entirely true since it works on 2.42 as well... But 2.43 does have some fixes content rendering for the Japanese storefront.

Well, so the in-game XMB has been optimized or am I seeing things ? It does feel snappier during navigation now (although the icons still take time to load).

I noticed a tiny bit during Vegas 2 gameplay, but it's still very very laggy when a game is booting up. Yea a bit more fluent in-game I suppose. All for the better.

Well, so the in-game XMB has been optimized or am I seeing things ? It does feel snappier during navigation now (although the icons still take time to load).

Placebo effect... :) I've been going back and forth between 2.42 and 2.43 and don't see much of any difference in the XMB performance (although it could be a newer build than what I have)... I do know what some of the Japanese store fixes are though...

The new 80GB PS3 is FW 2.45:oops:

20080921_b54e93e35c5b83259b643wTofrAzM05g.jpg

Back