Firmware 2.41 available... *

If you have a nasty bug, wouldn't you rather have a fix soon than have to wait months for a fix in a bigger firmware? I think the problem is updating the whole thing, rather than patching it. But I've had no problems installing any patches or with slow downloads. 10 minutes every once in a while isn't so bad. Other than the fact the aren't affecting me, I'm not experiencing whatever bugs they're fixing, so I don't care for these updates myself!

In my opinion these bugs exist because they are rushing out the updates . If they did larger updates say once every 3-4 months they would have more time to test to make sure there are no major bugs .

I'm talking game bugs, not firmware bugs. But you're right, if the firmwares are causing problems they should work with less haste.

I'm talking game bugs, not firmware bugs. But you're right, if the firmwares are causing problems they should work with less haste.

well game bugs suck. I wonder why they can't do what ms does. There have been few game updates that have taken more than a few seconds and then a reboot on the 360.

I don't go on my ps3 much and i feel like every time i do i'm upgrading the system

I like their philosophy that if its ready to go release it. I like knowing they are actively fixing issues, even though I may not have experienced it. I also like knowing that new features are being added. It keeps my interest in the console when new things are added. I can say for one product I had a software update caused me to experience issues logging online when there was a disc in the console. That was annoying. Especially when I had to wait months before another update came to fix my problem.

I can understand wanting to group everything together for one big update. I would love to group my company software releases into one big update but the overhead of the items for testing, resolving issues, become a pain when my list of fixes, etc., continues to grow and grow as my customer base continue to complain and complain that I am not fixing their problems. It really is a lose lose situation for Sony. Last year people complained about too many updates so they slacked off and then people started to complain about not receiving any updates or anything being fixed.

I say, continue with what you are doing just continue to give us a heads up and make sure we see a change log!

thankfully i use it 90% of the time for movies and i can just ignore the updates (i found that out a few minutes ago) I will update when lbp comes out

well game bugs suck. I wonder why they can't do what ms does. There have been few game updates that have taken more than a few seconds and then a reboot on the 360.

PS3's firmware update flashes the entire ROM. Xbox 360 patches only the changed portions.

MS's approach saves time, is user friendly and very suitable for incremental changes. Eventually Sony may move to such a system, but in the mean time PS3 has undergone fairly large improvements since the launch day firmware (v1.1).

I don't go on my ps3 much and i feel like every time i do i'm upgrading the system

It probably depends on your preference. I kinda like the surprises of firmware updates every month or so, provided they don't screw up our PS3s. Although the frequent releases may have caused some issues so far, it also allows Sony to base their future work on a recently proven stack. I'd imagine that cut down a lot of uncertainties even though there may be more overhead in managing the process.

PS3's firmware update flashes the entire ROM. Xbox 360 patches only the changed portions.

MS's approach saves time, is user friendly and very suitable for incremental changes. Eventually Sony may move to such a system, but in the mean time PS3 has undergone fairly large improvements since the launch day firmware (v1.1).

It probably depends on your preference. I kinda like the surprises of firmware updates every month or so, provided they don't screw up our PS3s. Although the frequent releases may have caused some issues so far, it also allows Sony to base their future work on a recently proven stack. I'd imagine that cut down a lot of uncertainties even though there may be more overhead in managing the process.

well i found out that i don't have to upgrade unless i want to go online with it . So i can play resistance and watch movies . That way i don't have to update untill i'm ready which is cool.

Mostl ikely with lbp (have it paid off already)

They need to get a handle on all these updates. 1 a month to me is alot of updates. Hopefully they get better at rolling these together and just making fewer but bigger updates.

I would much rather have it this way insted of them sitting on fixes, and with the way it works now, it´s very easy. Go to system update, Accept the terms, and in your case choose shutdown after update and let it run it´s course while you sleep or go to work.

It's been fine for me - updates always seem fast enough at least where I live. Of course, the 360's system is more elegant, though, there's no doubt about that.

However, the new auto-shutdown feature is a big help. Whenever there's a new update I'll now just start the update before bed or work and let things take care of themselves. Works great.

It's been fine for me - updates always seem fast enough at least where I live. Of course, the 360's system is more elegant, though, there's no doubt about that.

However, the new auto-shutdown feature is a big help. Whenever there's a new update I'll now just start the update before bed or work and let things take care of themselves. Works great.

The only annoying thing about updates is when you want to play something online and there is a new FW that you didn´t know about. Then the few minutes can feel like hours.

My only real complaint about updates is the games, when i want to play a game and then it tells me "this requires version 1.01" and i then see a slowass progress bar i get really annoyed. They need a update service that checks for the save games and downloads patches in the background.

Well, somewhere along the line the fixed the bug that kept disconnecting me from PSN on a regular basis, so that's a good thing. Now everyone on my friend's list can ALWAYS know when I'm Folding! ;)

Well, somewhere along the line the fixed the bug that kept disconnecting me from PSN on a regular basis, so that's a good thing. Now everyone on my friend's list can ALWAYS know when I'm Folding! ;)

:LOL: I have a friend and every time I see him online he is Folding or playing the latest Lego game.

I have seen 3 types of status icons:
* Offline (Red X)
* Online (Blue dot)
* ??? (Clock icon)

What does the last one mean ?

I spent most of my PS3 time listening to music. What does my icon show ?

I have seen 3 types of status icons:
* Offline (Red X)
* Online (Blue dot)
* ??? (Clock icon)

What does the last one mean ?

I spent most of my PS3 time listening to music. What does my icon show ?

Press triangle on your icon. Then select status. Now you can chose between online and not available. Not available will show the clock icon.

Back