Firmware 2.41 available... *

Not sure what you mean by that, but DVB-T is mpeg2 or h.264 etc in mpeg2 transport streams, so basically the unit can just save it to disk as it gets it. No encoding or anything cpu intensive like that is needed.

Yeah, that's what I meant, and it was a stupid question as I forgot PlayTV was for digital broadcast.

In 2.41 (and 2.40) it is now possible to enable noise reduction for video other than DVD.

Video

• You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [Block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
  • You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to fit the screen size.
The Frame Noise Reduction and Block Noise Reduction are on setting "2" by default after the update, so I think that's why you see a less pixelated video with the new firmware.
I checked some avi's in my HDD too, and with those settings enabled, it cleaned the videos noticeably.
It's no placebo, the improvement is there at least for video that's on your HDD or other removable mass media: I'm not sure if they improved the DVD upscaling too, haven't tried any yet with the new firmware, and I doub't if I'd be able to reliably tell the difference anyway.

The frame and block settings work with DLNA video on pc also,not sure if upscale is possible through that but it does seem better looking from when I last tried.

One thing I wish they would add is the option of double & triple size for xvid/h264 vids; like DVD. 1:1 always looks cleaner.

Looks like at least the US guys are getting some kind of PSN version of gamercard:

psnxerotag.png

Firmware 2.42 is out. No visible improvement. The official blog mentioned better compatbility with some PS3 software. I am guessing it's for what's to come this Thursday.

Firmware 2.42 is out. No visible improvement. The official blog mentioned better compatbility with some PS3 software. I am guessing it's for what's to come this Thursday.

Or maybe I can get GTA4 to run on my JAP PS3 60GB version, feels strange calling it a 60GB version now that I have upgraded it to 160GB. :)

Anyways, I'll give GTA4 another go after the upgrade and see what happens.

They need to get a handle on all these updates. 1 a month to me is alot of updates. Hopefully they get better at rolling these together and just making fewer but bigger updates.

If you have a nasty bug, wouldn't you rather have a fix soon than have to wait months for a fix in a bigger firmware? I think the problem is updating the whole thing, rather than patching it. But I've had no problems installing any patches or with slow downloads. 10 minutes every once in a while isn't so bad. Other than the fact the aren't affecting me, I'm not experiencing whatever bugs they're fixing, so I don't care for these updates myself!

Back