Firmware 2.41 available... *

Hmmm... my PS3 is having similar problems, though it isn't totally bricked. When I first installed the update and the system restarted, the PS3 gave me an error message saying that it could not find the correct hard drive. Before panicking I just manually rebooted the system and everything came up just fine.

Now it gives me that same error message just about every other time I turn the system on.... kind of annoying. :rolleyes:

Hopefully they fix it (really) soon.

Official response from Sony: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/02/firmware-v240-status/

As has been reported on many gaming blogs and websites, we have temporarily taken Firmware v2.40 offline. We’ve received a limited number of calls from consumers experiencing an issue with installing the system software update on their PS3. While our consumer services department has seen a low volume of calls on this topic, we are committed to providing the PS3 community with XMB access features delivered in the v2.40 update. We are working diligently to isolate the problem for those few consumers and to identify a solution before we put the firmware back up.

The GAF survey seems to back up their claim that this is a rare problem. Still bricking PS3 is not to be joked with.

It's a very random error according to the responses in the official blog. All versions of machine are affected, I guess then its upto system settings by the users. Enter randomness!!!

Yeah... they pulled it. Some are able to recover their PS3 by reformatting the HDD.

Unfortunately, since the hard drive is standard on the PS3 it won't boot with the hard drive bricked or even without a drive. You have to take the drive out of the PS3 and put it in another PS3 that works to recover the drive. If you didn't backup your drive, then all your saves and content will be lost. I also read that those that can't do this are being told that they will have to send in the system and some are even being charged $150 to fix it.

Tommy McClain

Unfortunately, since the hard drive is standard on the PS3 it won't boot with the hard drive bricked or even without a drive. You have to take the drive out of the PS3 and put it in another PS3 that works to recover the drive. If you didn't backup your drive, then all your saves and content will be lost. I also read that those that can't do this are being told that they will have to send in the system and some are even being charged $150 to fix it.

Tommy McClain

You could conceivably take the drive out and format it yourself then put it back in as well. Bit rough for people less technically minded though.

* New noise reduction options and upscaling for stored videos files (not just DVD)

Seems like this is working now on .vob files. I have some old dvd's i dumped to .vob's to make them playable over the network, and before 2.40 you'd see artifacts like flickering on windows with venetian blinds, etc. That seems to be cleaner now.

It's for people who have access to another PS3 (friend's PS3). The rest will have to wait for Sony to respond after they identify the cause.
The "fix" is unofficial anyway, so do it at your own risk.

Seems like this is working now on .vob files. I have some old dvd's i dumped to .vob's to make them playable over the network, and before 2.40 you'd see artifacts like flickering on windows with venetian blinds, etc. That seems to be cleaner now.

I tested using my own home videos. Can't say I notice a big difference (I forgot how the video looked last time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer to hear some users have this problem. It's a great update and I've been playing around with it tonight, getting 10 trophies / 38% and close to levelling up and then having fun looking at my profile and comparing it to others (mostly forum people from here ;) ). I played through Easy in one session and got me a lot of trophies along the way. The one in survival mode just avoiding stuff for 45 secs is stressy but a lot of fun.

Heh... I am so glad I can turn off rumble using in-game XMB. It has caused much grief in my recent RFOM games. The vibration makes it very hard to aim during heavy fighting.

Tommy McClain

I was always under the impression that the PS3 booted the firmware from its onboard flash memory, similar to the PSP! If this was the case then you would be able to rebuild the HDD using the utility in PS3 system menu.

I have not tried this, but doesn't the PS3 need to read account info from the HDD soon after bootup ? I think if the HDD is wonky and PS3 knows about it... it could prevent further action.

Tommy McClain

150 dollars, that got priced pretty fast..

Since I can't edit my previous post, that 150 was in reference to the guy who's PS3 was clogged with an extreme amount of dust. I found an article on it that mentions the 150 cost.

"Neil said he would look into it and he called the next day to inform Ive that there was no error and that after reviewing photos of the excessive loads of dust on the exterior and interior of his console, he would have to pay a $150 out-of-warranty replacement fee. "

from

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/11/sony_warranty.html

150 sounds like the charge for anything out of warranty. I've heard that number tossed around before, just can't recall where.

Yeah. It's probably a number that people get to hear from Sony reps that aren't aware yet of the issue, because a firmware related brick should always be fixed free of charge.

I think when you boot the PS3 you don't need a HDD - you can insert a non-formatted HDD after all. However, when it is formatted correctly and it tries to boot from the HDD but you then get an error, that's when things could go wrong I presume. I don't know if there is any way to force the PS3 to ignore the HDD, get to the point where you can format a HDD etc. I don't know if you can insert a HDD while the PS3 is on either without rebooting.

Installed the update yesterday.
The controller is acting weird now.
It "jumps around" in XMB (not in game XMB, although it might do it there too, just haven't had time to use it much yet..) and also in games the controller input seems to be cutting off for a split second every now and then.
Otherwise everything seems to be working fine, just that I really don't feel like playing games when the controller fails to register occasionally.

I did reset the controller and repair it, but it did not help.
Also tried my old SIXAXIS, where it behaved similarily.
If i use the controller with usb wire, there is no lag, so it seems to be a Bluetooth issue.

Now I am doing a backup -> format -> restore, hope it will help. Otherwise all I can do is just wait for 2.41.
All this when my summer vacation is just starting, the weather reports forecast rain for the foreseeable future and I'd have time to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird to hear about these issues. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. Everything is working perfectly here and as advertised.

Back