Firmware 2.41 available... *

I think they're referring to the SD content on BDs (such as the extras).
Well that function is not applicable to retail BD movies. What 2.40 does is deinterlacing for 1080i digital TV programs recorded in BD-R/BD-RE (BDAV), or HDD/mem cards.

Is anyone able to upgrade Super Stardust HD? I run it, it says version 4.00 is available (presumably for trophies) and it tries to start downloading. The PS3 then beeps a few times and the screen goes black every time. At that point the machine is hard locked and I have to kill the power on the back. Rebooting results in the same thing, it tries to get 4.00 again, locks up, rinse and repeat. Is this happening to anyone else? I tried deleting the game and re-downloading it, but same result :(

Exact same thing happened to me when I tried the game (and upgrade) from my regular gaming account. But it worked fine from the account that I purchase games.

I thought it was an authentication related bug, but does that "redownloading" imply you have been using a single account, the one you purchased the game with, all along?

major performance improvement for the store also added view mode feature that allows one to traverse a list or thumbnails. some info displayed at the bottom.

one annoyance with trophies, when accessing xmb while playing newly earned trophies are not added to the user profile. after exiting the game trophies are synced to psn and user profile is updated. hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was downloading and installing when I left for work (went quite smooth, considering our humble connection). I'll ask the wife if it turned itself off automatically. ;)

Look forward to toying around with this update and get the Super Stardust Trophies. That's my favorite game still for having a quick go, and now it will remain that for a while longer it seems. :)

I think it'd have been better served is options that are not available were hidden. There's the whole host of XMB presented, and almost all of it requires the game to be exited, so why show it. After all this waiting, it hasn't really gone 'pow zap whizz'. You get XMB in game and can do next to nothing with it, not even browse the web to look up tips for the game you're playing. Trophies are in and...hardly any games feature them. And there's messaging, which is a plus, but still.

Still, it's better than a slap in the face with a wet kipper.

I'm going to test out the noise reduction on stored videos!.

Theres two different settings.

Frame Noise
&
Block Noise

its obvious to me what the second doesn't but what about the first? mosquito noise maybe?.

I think it'd have been better served is options that are not available were hidden. There's the whole host of XMB presented, and almost all of it requires the game to be exited, so why show it. After all this waiting, it hasn't really gone 'pow zap whizz'. You get XMB in game and can do next to nothing with it, not even browse the web to look up tips for the game you're playing. Trophies are in and...hardly any games feature them. And there's messaging, which is a plus, but still.

Still, it's better than a slap in the face with a wet kipper.

I never really expected them to allow web-browsing while playing a game, or store access or google searching etc. etc.; I expected them to meet Live features first (which they're still working on). So, yeah, they probably should block off any unavailable icons. The extra options look nice compared to the 360 blade, but if most aren't available it's fairly pointless.

What I'm curious about is why some games, particularly Japanese games, don't seem work with in-game XMB. (Or is it just neogaf FUD?)

I disagree, being able to "schedule" a new task before quiting the game or application is really neat. It is like combining closing delay of the old application and starting delay of the new one together, with no interactions required in between unlike pre 2.4 case.
For example, now you can tell PS3 to run F@H in game, and just turn off your display.

I guess a little note, icon or a color change to differentiate items that require quitting could help usability but it does not take a genius to figure those out anyway.

There are some stupid stuff though. Like if you want to switch user, it asks about quitting, then quits then asks another cofirmation about logging off current user, as if it would kill to ask that earlier. :)

Well, if only I could get rid of "HDD write" warnings and "press Start" screens altogether...

Which reminds me, PS3 games should provide shortcuts to all those sub menus, like singleplayer, multiplayer, or even stuff like extras, accessible from XMB via Triangle or something, I was hoping Home game launching would eventually enable this, still waiting.

I feel the need whenever I want to play a multiplayer game, but MGO's case is especially ridiculous.

Exact same thing happened to me when I tried the game (and upgrade) from my regular gaming account. But it worked fine from the account that I purchase games.

I thought it was an authentication related bug, but does that "redownloading" imply you have been using a single account, the one you purchased the game with, all along?

Yeah I have one PSN account, and I use the same account on both PS3's, one in the bedroom and the other downstairs. The machine downstairs actually upgraded Stardust just fine (it's an original 20gb model), the bedroom 40gb model couldn't. I did find a workaround though. I went into the save game files via xmb and there were two files, one for Metal Gear, the other said "corrupt data". I presume the corrupted one is my Stardust save file. I deleted it, then tried upgrading the game to 4.00 again. This time it worked fine. So everything works now, although all my game progress is gone :( I think from now on I'll back up my save game files before patching a game.

I don't mind and actually prefer them to show commonly used icons in the in-game XMB. They provide shortcut to the next task. In addition, the XMB would look much less sparse (no custom layout needed).

However, I think they need to give more visual cue on what can be used now and what will require quiting the active application. This is a general XMB problem and should be addressed even in the other use cases (e.g., using XMB within Slide Show, Music playback, etc.).

The other enhancement request is also general (not specific to in-game XMB). They should have a personalized list so that we can access our most frequently used/favorite features via a smaller selection. Once this mechanism is in-place, Shifty's concern will be addressed automatically.

I don't mind and actually prefer them to show commonly used icons in the in-game XMB. They provide shortcut to the next task. In addition, the XMB would look much less sparse (no custom layout needed).

However, I think they need to give more visual cue on what can be used now and what will require quiting the active application. This is a general XMB problem and should be addressed even in the other use cases (e.g., using XMB within Slide Show, Music playback, etc.).

The other enhancement request is also general (not specific to in-game XMB). They should have a personalized list so that we can access our most frequently used/favorite features via a smaller selection. Once this mechanism is in-place, Shifty's concern will be addressed automatically.

Sounds like you want something like the Xbox Guide. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tommy McClain

Is there any truth to the rumors of instability and lack of in-game XMB presence in certain games that I've been reading ?

This update is a joke. Why aren't there update's for first party games to support trophy's and ingame music? Or even an announcement that those will be released shortly. They did know it was coming. Why make all these things if they're barely supported? They are just wasting their time if they don't make these things mandatory.

I think the main issue is the lack of developer support for any of the features. In theory it seemed like a wise idea for Sony to leave alot of the functionality up to the devs to implement. Other then a select few, this doesn't appear to be wide spread.

Well that function is not applicable to retail BD movies. What 2.40 does is deinterlacing for 1080i digital TV programs recorded in BD-R/BD-RE (BDAV), or HDD/mem cards.

They have the description up now. For BDAV content like you said, but it looks like it supports more than just deinterlacing.

Upscaling Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) content

Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported.
BDAV is a Blu-ray Disc video format. Generally, when video content is recorded on BD-R or BD-RE media using a Blu-ray Disc recorder, the content is recorded in BDAV format.
To adjust settings for upscaling of BDAV content, press the
icn_btntriangle.gif
button during video playback to display the control panel, and then select
icn_av_settings.png
(AV Settings) > [Upscale].
OffSet to disable upscaled output.Double ScaleSet to upscale and display with double horizontal and vertical dimensions.NormalSet to upscale and display at a size that matches the screen size.Full Screen*Set to upscale and display at full screen by stretching the image.
* The proportions may change depending on the content.

This update is a joke. Why aren't there update's for first party games to support trophy's and ingame music? Or even an announcement that those will be released shortly. They did know it was coming. Why make all these things if they're barely supported? They are just wasting their time if they don't make these things mandatory.

It's the chicken and the egg. They put the support out and that puts pressure on devs to use it. It's sort of like DS3 support, which we all take for granted after a short period of time. Almost all my game support rumble now when none did a while back.

Back