Firmware 2.41 available... *

Anyway, is there any in-game notification of new messages or friends coming online or do you have to keep pulling up the XMB to check?
That's been present for a long time in PS3. A little notice flashes up in the corner.

Eric Lempel said:
Will voice-messaging/private chat be featured in 2.40 as well? If not, can we expect to see this feature added in the future?

We are evaluating the opportunity to offer voice chat, but for this update, we wanted to focus on text messaging as the key priority for communications that our users have asked for.
Ah, yes. Their users were asking loudly and clearly for text messaging ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
2.4 is the first update I've been really excited about.I just wish they would allow older game saves to count.If game save cheating is the issue,that will also be a problem going forward so I don't see how restricting to games going forward will preserve the systems integrity.
Anyways I can't wait. The new trophy system seems great.

I just wish they would allow older game saves to count.If game save cheating is the issue,that will also be a problem going forward so I don't see how restricting to games going forward will preserve the systems integrity.

It probably keeps track of trophies separately, so the old and future saves are not used to figure out trophies. The only games where the devs could possibly use your profile to determine trophies are those where your saves cannot be shared or your info is tracked via a server. I'm thinking of games like Warhawk and Burnout Paradise.

2.4 is the first update I've been really excited about.I just wish they would allow older game saves to count.If game save cheating is the issue,that will also be a problem going forward so I don't see how restricting to games going forward will preserve the systems integrity.
Anyways I can't wait. The new trophy system seems great.

God damn it! It took me ages to finish Motorstorm and now I am playing MGS4 at Boss Extreme. I am nearly completing it with the big boss emblem (hopefully). I dont feel like playing them again from scratch!

It probably keeps track of trophies separately, so the old and future saves are not used to figure out trophies. The only games where the devs could possibly use your profile to determine trophies are those where your saves cannot be shared or your info is tracked via a server. I'm thinking of games like Warhawk and Burnout Paradise.

Oops tha'ts right I forge about the seperate tracking. So trophy records are kept server side with no file or record on your actual PS3,that would mean only accessing trophies online.If there is a file on your PS3 it's open to hacking.

What happens with the trophies if you're playing at a friend's house? I'll copy my saves, play at a friend's and then copy the saves back to my machine. You lose those trophies while playing on another ps3? Do you have to login to your psn account when on your friend's ps3?

patsu, thanks!

DrJay24, I guess that means you have to be logged into your psn account.

Interview with Eric Lempel: http://uk.ps3.gamespy.com/articles/885/885361p1.html

GameSpy: Is there an official list of available games slated to patch with trophies on or around Wednesday beyond Super Stardust HD, PAIN, Warhawk, and PixelJunk Eden?

Lempel: The only game that will officially be patched on the day of the firmware update is Super Stardust HD. The other games announced on the PlayStation blog will eventually update. We can officially confirm that besides the titles we've already announced, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune will also receive a patch at some point in the foreseeable future.

Burnout will also be updated in the future (http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=310).

Not a big achievement/trophy fan myself, but there are other goodies according to WatchImpress:
* More controller management features (assign controller, controller rumble)
* Auto-shutdown after firmware update
* Sorting photos in ascending and descending order (if sorted by month or year)
* MP3 Surround support
* (New ?) music control panel can now be displayed while playing music
* New noise reduction options and upscaling for stored videos files (not just DVD)
* Blu-ray Disc upconverting, DVD Video DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 and Blu-ray Disc DTS-ES Matrix playback is supported.
...translated by http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11787639&postcount=2416

Interview with Eric Lempel: http://uk.ps3.gamespy.com/articles/885/885361p1.html

Burnout will also be updated in the future (http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=310).

Not a big achievement/trophy fan myself, but there are other goodies according to WatchImpress:
* More controller management features (assign controller, controller rumble)
* Auto-shutdown after firmware update
* Sorting photos in ascending and descending order (if sorted by month or year)
* MP3 Surround support
* (New ?) music control panel can now be displayed while playing music
* New noise reduction options and upscaling for stored videos files (not just DVD)
* Blu-ray Disc upconverting, DVD Video DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 and Blu-ray Disc DTS-ES Matrix playback is supported.
...translated by http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11787639&postcount=2416

God I can't believe these guys didn't do coop, this game would sooo much be my #1 game. I'm sticking to my guns though no matter how awesome they make it(the minute they add coop though......).

Is anyone able to upgrade Super Stardust HD? I run it, it says version 4.00 is available (presumably for trophies) and it tries to start downloading. The PS3 then beeps a few times and the screen goes black every time. At that point the machine is hard locked and I have to kill the power on the back. Rebooting results in the same thing, it tries to get 4.00 again, locks up, rinse and repeat. Is this happening to anyone else? I tried deleting the game and re-downloading it, but same result :(

Is anyone able to upgrade Super Stardust HD? I run it, it says version 4.00 is available (presumably for trophies) and it tries to start downloading. The PS3 then beeps a few times and the screen goes black every time. At that point the machine is hard locked and I have to kill the power on the back. Rebooting results in the same thing, it tries to get 4.00 again, locks up, rinse and repeat. Is this happening to anyone else? I tried deleting the game and re-downloading it, but same result :(

nope. works for me.

Back