Firmware 2.41 available... *

Nice to read (on Eurogamer) that trophies and in-game xmb are now officially confirmed for 2.40. Will be interesting to see if it all works well and how stable it will be!

They don't like to do incremental updates... Not to mention there's more susceptibility for corruption...
I understand that. What I meant was, why bother releasing the firmware at all? Why not wait a few more weeks and release a real update? The only reason I can think off hand is some people aren't able to play titles they've bought off PSN properly and Sony have needed to 'rush out' a fix. Or maybe in preparation for downloads coming out today? i just can't see it affecting many people though, and don't see why they rolled out a featureless update.

I understand that. What I meant was, why bother releasing the firmware at all? Why not wait a few more weeks and release a real update? The only reason I can think off hand is some people aren't able to play titles they've bought off PSN properly and Sony have needed to 'rush out' a fix. Or maybe in preparation for downloads coming out today? i just can't see it affecting many people though, and don't see why they rolled out a featureless update.

"Exposed" featureless... Just because you don't see stuff on the surface doesn't mean there's changes underneath that say have interlocking dependecies with another release (e.g. PSP 4.00).

Also, one presumes that they quietly put out firmware releases to deal with any security issues they find in their software stack.

GTAIV still not working on my JAP imported PS3 unit, running with 2.36 and the GTAIV 1.01 update.

I had some problem after a lockup. Game would get stuck in the loading screen. The quick fix was to unplug the ethernet cable. That got it working again but I couldn't play online. The GTA IV 1.01 update did fix this problem though.

Does it work at all or is it just unstable?

It runs for about 5 minutes I would guess, then it just freezes. And I have to turn the PS3 off/on with the power switch.
I tried the tips posted various places, ie turn of internet, remove and reinstall game data etc.

I can eject the disc, but the PS button on the controller does not work and I am quite sure that the on/off button on the front does not work. But did not try that after the 2.36 upgrade.

PS3 Firmware 2.4 rumored feature list

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191641

in-game XMB:
We've also scooped the following list of XMB features that you'll be able to access in-game. Here goes:

Friend category
View, send, receive messages
Manage downloads
Set the vibration feature of the controller
Sign in to PlayStation Network
Register friends
Manage Bluetooth devices
Terminate the game
Music category
Use the system BGM (Background Music)
Work the system BGM operation panel
Settings category
Assign controllers
View profiles
Game category
Set audio devices
Use the voice changer

Trophies:
Since our original story went live, we've received further information regarding the inclusion of trophies in the 2.4 update. As expected full 2D trophy support will be in the XMB update and there will be four types: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum.

Platinum is only awarded when you have collected all other trophies in a game. Also there are no gamer points, it's all done via a levelling up system. Think Call of Duty 4 levelling up system, we reckon.

??? You mean lack of voice chat or game invite ? I think XMB messages are exchanged "outside the game", so it should be cross-game without doing anything.

Lack of voice chat while 2 people are playing different games I reckon. I was hoping for that one as well.

This still makes it pretty clumsy to have voice communications with anyone that is playing a game. I guess the in game messaging is a step in the right direction, but I still find it silly you need to interrupt your gaming, and quit out in order to be able to chat with one of your friends.

Lack of voice chat while 2 people are playing different games I reckon.
Absolutely. If my friend is playing Warhawk and I want to invite him to play EOJ say, I want to be able to dial him up and yell at him so he notices, because those little message icons in the corner can be readily overlooked if you're intently immersed in a game and unobservant to boot ;)

Those messages do a good job of killing the immersion for me, and hideaway important information at the same time.

I was hoping for in-game webbrowsering. But at least we finally have in-game messaging.

Ok... yeah there are 2 issues here:
* The silent XMB message alert should come with audible alert.
* Convenient, cross game communication for people without keyboard

They probably can't do the second one efficiently unless they unify all the in-game voice communication (to avoid taking up more bandwidth). [More update later, or may be not]

The other more awkward solution is to wait for Home. Since the game sessions are launched from there, after we finish a round, we would be back to Home which has the full suite of communication options.

Absolutely. If my friend is playing Warhawk and I want to invite him to play EOJ say, I want to be able to dial him up and yell at him so he notices, because those little message icons in the corner can be readily overlooked if you're intently immersed in a game and unobservant to boot ;)

Uh yuh...I don't want people shouting at me while I'm playing MGS4 thank you.

It'll obviously, in my ideal implementation, be like a virtual phone where you can opt to redirect incoming calls rather than be forced to answer/hear them ;)

Back