Firmware 2.41 available... *

Anybody noticed that Nvidia's infamous blur filter has gone in 2.35.

All the PS3 games are sharper, crisper but obviously with slightly more noticable jaggies.
I haven't seen any reference to a GPU specific blur anywhere (either this or I suck at google). Could you please elaborate for me?

Or I just got sucked in by a joke :p

Anybody noticed that Nvidia's infamous blur filter has gone in 2.35.
Eh? :-?

I haven't noticed this, because it was never there. As Tisan said, I think you'll need to find some source for this... if only so I know where to go for lies and misinformation.

Dean

I haven't noticed this, because it was never there. As Tisan said, I think you'll need to find some source for this... if only so I know where to go for lies and misinformation.

Dean

Sort of OT: So ummm.. how about updating your blog with some info on what you're doing nowadays? :smile:

Why is it that PS3 firmwares are so big and takes so long to update ? Is it because of the update mechanism ?

There is a world of difference between updating (dashboard) my 360 and my PS3.

Why is it that PS3 firmwares are so big and takes so long to update ? Is it because of the update mechanism ?

yeah I was wondering that too...I ass-u-me it's because rather than patching it's a whole "new" OS?

yeah I was wondering that too...I ass-u-me it's because rather than patching it's a whole "new" OS?

I don't think so. The firmware updates have different download duration. During update, PS3 checks for some database. Perhaps it has larger granularity but not the whole OS.

By the way, if it's possible, I'd love YouTube integration for Echochrome. I failed to complete some puzzles and a video of how people solved them would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I think this is the first time I was able to patch without having to connect the controler with the cable!

It said press the PS button the wireless controler this time. As far as I remeber all the other times it told me to connect a controler via USB cable then press the PS button.

I guess this is progress.

Hey I think this is the first time I was able to patch without having to connect the controler with the cable!

It said press the PS button the wireless controler this time. As far as I remeber all the other times it told me to connect a controler via USB cable then press the PS button.

I guess this is progress.

Nah, its been that way for a while. Although they didn't adjust the text immediately (that might be new). Same with the PSP, and no longer requiring the AC adapter to be plugged in (but still stating it on the update screen).

I haven't seen any reference to a GPU specific blur anywhere (either this or I suck at google). Could you please elaborate for me?

Or I just got sucked in by a joke :p

It was a technique Nvidia used about 3-4 years ago for x2aa. I believe it was 1st documented by the Hardocp guys when they used to do indepth comparative reviews and then discussed at length here in the core PC forums.

It was a post filter rather than real anti aliasing and NV were marketing it as no performance cost x2aa.

It's quite possible that it's not notieable on all hardware combinations - I noticed it on a PS3 that's plugged into a Dell 2408wfp monitor and upsampled to 1080p.

It was a technique Nvidia used about 3-4 years ago for x2aa.
I'm pretty confident there's no filtering/blurring/smoothing in the RSX. If you've noticed smoothing as a result of upscaling onto a Dell monitor, then maybe that's the scaling hardware in the display device. Consumer NV parts have different designs to RSX, especially when it comes to the display fetch/output. For example, NV PC parts can automatically resolve MSAA framebuffers on output.

I'd need an HDMI capture from PS3 to convince me otherwise.

Dean

Update ahoy!

So from that update we can conclude that you're doing alot of drinking and eating while watching BD's on your new TV when you're not doing *******.

Thanks! Btw, is Cambridge going to make a ps3 game anytime soon or are you guys too busy doing ******* for ******* who's under pressure to get ***** out by **** or **** will really hit the ***. Of course that's when you're not doing ***** for **** who **** has said **** will come out in ******* when he **** well thinks it's ********* ready.

:D:LOL:

I am seeing posts on various forums (including this one in the PS3 firmware 2.35 post) that the graphics in GTAVI have changed since the last firmware update. Everyone seems to be reporting cleaner looking graphics (and consequently more obvious jaggies). Has the PS3 firmware improved the way that the 640P screen gets upscaled to fit a 720p window (cell or RSX based scalling)? I usually don't buy into these types of posts, but have seen the comment from about 10 different posters now!

I am seeing posts on various forums (including this one in the PS3 firmware 2.35 post) that the graphics in GTAVI have changed since the last firmware update. Everyone seems to be reporting cleaner looking graphics (and consequently more obvious jaggies). Has the PS3 firmware improved the way that the 640P screen gets upscaled to fit a 720p window (cell or RSX based scalling)? I usually don't buy into these types of posts, but have seen the comment from about 10 different posters now!

Dean

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1162757&postcount=22

The PS3 firmware downloads is basically everything. When you update it, it essentially overwrites the entire OS (excluding preferences, debug settings, etc.). The 360 dashboard updates essentially just patches specific files.

Also the dashboard is simply smaller since it doesn't have as much "stuff" in it like a web browser, multiple emulators, BDP support (which of course includes a J2ME stack), a folding client harness. Also the PS3 (and PSP for that matter) tend to have a bit of un-exposed features or in development stub modules sitting it.

With the previous firmware the PS3 fan usually hit "mode" 3 a bit into playing GTA4, with this I can play for hours on end without it starting to spin on mode 3.

Funny thing though, just after the upstart I went online and the second webpage I tried to access gave me "out of memory". A refresh in the browser solved that.

Back