Am I crazy? (Car Question)

Damn, I hate you :cry: That sum is just about enough to buy like a set of new wheels and spoilers for that car over here.

Mize: it doesn't shorten the life if properly done. Check our new SL63 for example, the launch control there is my very own development, as well as the interface in the middle console. We tested it very thoroughly, since we don't limit the amout of launch-control starts like BMW does, because our clutch was designed for that.

Do I need a special clutch or can I learn a technique to save the clutch on fast starts? (Or do I need a computer controlled "launch control" like the high-end cars have?)

I was brought up that fast starts - even controlled-slip - fry the clutch faster.

My head is spinning, I only got like an hours sleep last night, and we're off to go buy a car.

Wish me luck!

Dude's going to come back with that Chevy Chase Family War Wagon from Vacation :)

No, the wife likes cool cars so he'll do just fine.

...new SL63 for example, the launch control there is my very own development...
And I really liked the 6.2l... I'll have another look at the E500 then. Both have the 7tronic & semi-active suspensions. The transmission shift points do seem much better on the AMG.

My head is spinning, I only got like an hours sleep last night, and we're off to go buy a car.

Wish me luck!
You'll do fine.

Do I need a special clutch or can I learn a technique to save the clutch on fast starts? (Or do I need a computer controlled "launch control" like the high-end cars have?)

I was brought up that fast starts - even controlled-slip - fry the clutch faster.
Technique, performance clutch (twin for HO), quality shifter. Most launch control units limit revs to a predetermined band when the car is idle & clutch depressed. Turbos can even be pre-spooled for max AFR charge. No doubt AMG plays with many params inc. torque management, stability control, etc. Your clutch premise is correct, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at those prices over there makes me sick, really. You pay less than half the prices we have here, for both new and used cars.

Meh, where do you live? Unless you live in denmark you cannot complain.

Petrol costs $12.16 per gallon in norway, and car prices.. Well, the cheapest car you can buy in norway is a Toyota Aygo at 112,000 NOK or $22 240. A bmw 3 series\merc c-class (the crappy four sylinder versions) $69 000. A Corvette Z06 $300,000 (1.5 Mill Nok) due to our crazy tax systems.

We got the 2001 BMW 325xi for $7,700 at Levin. Total after everything was $8,330.25. The moonroof was messed up, but they fixed it for us and we get a car wash/detailing once a week for free as long as we own our car.

We're quite pleased. :)

3029863_2.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

WTG!

Too bad it's just the 2.5L V6 though. My Saturn is faster than that :p

LOL, it's still a bimmer though so congrats!

Awesome, I've got a ´01 BMW 325 myself. I'm extremely satisfied with my example.

And Shaidar, it's an INLINE 6, not a V6, if you please. ;) There's a difference.

Excellent choice! I love the e46, its a great car :D Great community of users around the net too if you have any issues in the future.

Simon F said:
That's alright - they make up for it by paying less for their petrol too
Which is mostly a tax issue ~13% (U.S.) vs ~70-117% (Europe) :oops:, so we can't really be blamed for that.

Just got done with the night driving tests and she passed with flying marks! She's got them spiffy ultra-white xenu headlights too. Not only do they light up the road, they keep the nasty scientologists away. ;)

Took her out on a quick highway run to for about 50 miles, she's real sweet. No unpleasant surprises what so ever and a few rather pleasant ones. (It has a recharging flashlight in the glove box? NEAT! )

Me is happy. I think my wife is too, she told me she's stealing it tomorrow already. :LOL:

Meh, where do you live? Unless you live in denmark you cannot complain.

Petrol costs $12.16 per gallon in norway, and car prices.. Well, the cheapest car you can buy in norway is a Toyota Aygo at 112,000 NOK or $22 240. A bmw 3 series\merc c-class (the crappy four sylinder versions) $69 000. A Corvette Z06 $300,000 (1.5 Mill Nok) due to our crazy tax systems.

Are you freaking serious? $300k for a corvette? :LOL:

Wow...

Oh man that reminds me, my wife found a 90s corvette we could have gotten. She was all excited about it until I reminded her of the backseat rule. :LOL: (My wife has wanted a vette since she was little)

Had a happy this morning, found my other fog light. One of them was missing I noted last night, dug around in the bumper this morning and found it fine/intact/working....just fell off the bracket. :)

Are you freaking serious? $300k for a corvette? :LOL:

Wow...

The vette is an extreme example (because in norway you get taxed on hp, cylinder volume amongst other things), even thought its relatively cheap in the states its high hp amounts and high cylinder volume adds up to 1,2 mill nok in taxes, or $239 000

Should I glue the foglamp in place or hold off until next week and ask them nicely to fix it for free when I go in for my free car wash?

I'm thinking the second option, just to test 'em....

Back