Frame Rate Analysis Thread (Simple Rules Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are PAL versions of 30fps NTSC games framelimited to 25fps :?:

No. I think grandmaster's recent framerate counts show the best independent proof you could want that that is nonsense (in Europe 60hz is also part of the HD Ready standard, after all). This would and could only matter for SD playback, but even that should affect 360 and PS3 likewise.

A spaniard developer, who is working at Ubisoft Montreal, fixing bugs and so on, has pointed out that the PS3's version of the game will run at 25 fps while the 360's version will run at 30 fps.
Where exactly does he say that?

Where exactly does he say that?
Here:

A little patience, the multi has enough more than that, there is silent system experience, classes, upgrades, challenges ...
no?​
Let this be properly.

I've been asking a little more about the subject of the framerate.
At the end things will be in 30 to 360 and 25 for ps3.

He has clarified things a bit, though. Both versions are basically the same, they are so similar that the main feature used to distinguish the two games is that PS3's version drops to 25 frames occasionally, under heavy load conditions.

Google translator again....:idea:

I do not think it normal that transcends both. The PS3 version of this brilliant, is exactly like that of 360, only there is a difference of 5 fps when what has charged at that time is quite heavy. If this is a hit for you, after all the work that there is behind the two versions to make them roughly equal, it is quite disheartening. Moreover, to see if when you play someone tells me that these note 5 to 0 fps difference. Already he goes.

I find it strange that the PS3 version would run at 25fps unless they throw in motionblur to smooth things out. I would rather think they would run sub-HD than 25fps.

I find it strange that the PS3 version would run at 25fps unless they throw in motionblur to smooth things out. I would rather think they would run sub-HD than 25fps.
Afaik, Crysis running at 25 fps looks great (even when you are rotating the camera at high speed) because the game features a great motion blur effect.

Are PAL versions of 30fps NTSC games framelimited to 25fps :?:
It should be a thing of the past. There are "good" examples of games that fall into the category of bad european PAL renditions, like Zelda (GC) or Forza 1 (Xbox), both running at 25 fps -30 FPS on NTSC displays-.

Cheers!

Well, there you go ... he's saying that when the engine is stressed, the PS3 version may sometimes drop to 25 frames. Discussion pretty much over, and we can leave it to grandmaster to find out how often that is. ;)

Well, there you go ... he's saying that when the engine is stressed, the PS3 version may sometimes drop to 25 frames. Discussion pretty much over, and we can leave it to grandmaster to find out how often that is. ;)

Hehe, I bet all versions will do it sometimes (or many as seen in videos)!

True but does FC2 use motionblur?

You mean when you turn/look around? I doubt as much as Crysis no - if you ask me it's an effect that's so intensive that it makes the game more demanding, which doesn't seem to be the best option for FC2 on consoles.

To be honest, both 360 and PS3 struggle with this game at 720p. I mean, 30FPS at best, likely dips? That's kind of pathetic. Looking at the console footage shown, there's lots of texture popping going on, and the LOD seems very visible. In addition, there are jaggies and I doubt they push more than 2xMSAA, if that.

Not hating on the developers - it's not their fault. They are very talented, the guys behind FC2.

I'm hating on this console generation. It's too much at once for the lackluster graphics chips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey - did anyone else notice a huge amount of screen tearing in Star Wars: Force Unleashed? I'm doing some comparisons now - but I don't seem to get them in the PS3 version - but they are PROMINENT in the 360 version (I have them both being upscaled to 1080p forced on the same display)?

Jack

37,563 frames captured - an entire runthrough of the demo and the frame rate is 29.97fps. Screen tear measurement is negligable over the course of the demo - around 5% torn frames, but this is mostly down to the size of the sample. Mostly it's v-locked, but there are spikes - the cutscene at the beginning being one of them.

Pretty sure you can blame that on the game loading the level in the background during that cutscene. If you mean the dips in the fair beginning of the scene that is.

Yeah the bit with the imperial shuttle landing. There are other spikes, but overall it's a solid-looking game.

I'd still like to know how much GT5's framerate plummets while cornering in Eiger Nordwand or Fuji Speedway in an 8/16 car A or S class race. Clearly, some adjustments need to be made. I shudder to think how low the framerate would be if Polyphony hadnt done the rolling starts and started all 16 vehicles off the line.

Well, something was definitely not right in that trailer. I think it was scaled to 720p, for whatever reason. But the footage from screencaps, if we've gotten any, wasn't confirmed 1080p (960x1080). I'm not too keen on relying on a trailer. Anyway that's offtopic, this thread is about FPS.

I think it was scaled to 720p, for whatever reason.

Maybe because that's the resolution most gaming websites use for hd videos. Anyway, what you meant is likely why they didn't let the game render at 1280 x 720p for that video, instead of letting it render at 960 x 1080p in 1080p mode and then scaling it to 1280 x 720p again for broadcast or whatever. Who knows.

Anyway that's offtopic, this thread is about FPS.

You're likely right in this case, but it was just a reply to what you wrote.

Well, never mind, as it seems to be offtopic though.

I'd still like to know how much GT5's framerate plummets while cornering in Eiger Nordwand or Fuji Speedway in an 8/16 car A or S class race. Clearly, some adjustments need to be made. I shudder to think how low the framerate would be if Polyphony hadnt done the rolling starts and started all 16 vehicles off the line.

A 1VBL game non-v-locked like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue or WipEout HD would require a new method of measuring frame rate based on the location of where the screen tear is on any given frame. This could presumably be worked out by comparing one frame with the next on a line by line basis. I've not got the resources to write this code, but if any one else wants to help, I'm open to offers :D

Right now the frame rate detector can do the following:

1. It can compare one frame with the next either in terms of the full frame or any cropped section of it.

2. It gives you a percentage difference from one frame to the next based on the chosen area.

3. Extent of screen tear in 2VBL games is worked out by running a scan on a single line, and then a scan on the whole frame. Duplicate frames in the latter minus dupes in the former = amount of torn frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back