Frame Rate Analysis Thread (Simple Rules Post #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My post is quite clear. They are gameplay clips taken from the first act of the game. The measurements are also accurate in that I can move through the captures frame by frame and physically see the repeated frames. They are not captures of cut-scenes.

I have not taken any captures of wandering about in a small empty room - I mean, what's the point - but I can confirm that there are momentary jumps to 60fps in isolated circumstances, and the slowdown elsewhere is self-evident if you're sensitive to this kind of thing.

Thanks for the response. Since many have played the game, the clips (or even screenshots) will give good visual context on what happened during the clips.

As for wandering in small empty room, I don't exactly know the pre-conditions for 60fps. The IGN article seems to indicate that in some fight scenes, they were also close to 60fps.

Thanks for the response. Since many have played the game, the clips (or even screenshots) will give good visual context on what happened during the clips.

As for wandering in small empty room, I don't exactly know the pre-conditions for 60fps. The IGN article seems to indicate that in some fight scenes, they were also close to 60fps.

I wouldn't site IGN for anything technical, nor any other mainstream gaming magazine. The quality on anything they say thats technical is usually far below what you read here. Often is the information just plain and simply wrong othertimes they use deluted fanboy logic to hype titles.

I wouldn't site IGN for anything technical, nor any other mainstream gaming magazine. The quality on anything they say thats technical is usually far below what you read here. Often is the information just plain and simply wrong othertimes they use deluted fanboy logic to hype titles.

Doesn't matter. Everyone who's played the game (and got an eye for it) knows there are several scenes where the framerate reaches ~60fps - while not looking into the bright sky.

Doesn't matter. Everyone who's played the game (and got an eye for it) knows there are several scenes where the framerate reaches ~60fps - while not looking into the bright sky.

Framerate is a bigger concern when you need it. During battles and complex action on screen. Reaching 60fps in limited scenario isn't a "win" of any kind.

There is no framerate concern in MGS4 though. It's not a fast pace FPS or racing game. Anything extra is just gravvy.

I am more curious about the conditions for the frame drops and surges for technical reasons.

I got an eye for it, and the framerate is not 60fps any time when you need it to be. Crouching and looking at the ground or being indoors doesn't count.

Strange as I felt MGS4 fps was way better then GTA4.Curious what Halo3 is then as you can't even turn side to side without a stutter,20 fps?

Strange as I felt MGS4 fps was way better then GTA4.Curious what Halo3 is then as you can't even turn side to side without a stutter,20 fps?

Agreed, in GTA4 the framerate drops were distracting and at times unplayable. At no point while playing MGS4 did I feel like the framerate had any effect on the gameplay, although I did notice it at times during cutscenes.

I was wondering if there's any frame rate difference between 720p vs 1080p

It's obvious that 1080p upscale in MGS4 is done in software wise, I suspect it would actually affect the frame rate.

I saw some people claim better frame rate in 720p, but didn't really see no difference myself.

I had zero problem with frame rate to begin with though..

(I beat the game in 1080p)

Last edited by a moderator:
MGS4 during gameplay seemed very solid to me. I never had any issue with it. No tearing either.

During cut scenes you can notice some occasional dropped frames.

LEGO Indiana Jones has a V-Sync on/off mode. Basically turning V-Sync on locks the game at 30fps, leaving you with an unhealthy choice of 720p60 with some truly horrific screen-tear, or else half the frame rate.

My guess for Halo 3 would be around 29 fps. There's stuttering, but with rarely any real slowdown. It feels a bit like the frame skipping in Doom 3.

My guess for Halo 3 would be around 29 fps. There's stuttering, but with rarely any real slowdown. It feels a bit like the frame skipping in Doom 3.

DOOM3 PAL or NTSC? If PAL then it ran at 25fps and if NTSC it ran at 30fps.

LEGO Indiana Jones has a V-Sync on/off mode. Basically turning V-Sync on locks the game at 30fps, leaving you with an unhealthy choice of 720p60 with some truly horrific screen-tear, or else half the frame rate.
:oops: That's hideous! LEGO was a stand-out title last gen for being 60 fps all the way, a beautiful 'console' game. If the developers aren't going to keep to that target, it's a sad day for the 60fps supporters of the world. And poor design if they don't properly target 30 fps.

It's basically identical to the LEGO Star Wars game on 360/PS3, just with the option to cripple your frame rate in exchange for no screen tear. This v-sync mode wasn't in the last game. Surely there could have been a better way other than decimating the frame rate down to 30fps?

It's basically identical to the LEGO Star Wars game on 360/PS3, just with the option to cripple your frame rate in exchange for no screen tear. This v-sync mode wasn't in the last game. Surely there could have been a better way other than decimating the frame rate down to 30fps?

I think "cripple" and "decimate" are a bit strong for 30fps - it's still perfectly playable and more than enough for the Lego games (and pretty much any other game apart from racing games/beat 'em ups IMO).

I think "cripple" and "decimate" are a bit strong for 30fps
I think a reduction of 50% counts as 'decimated'.
it's still perfectly playable and more than enough for the Lego games (and pretty much any other game apart from racing games/beat 'em ups IMO).
Technically yes, but 60 FPS adds a sense of quality without equal, and which is sadly lacking since the Olden Days. LEGO looked incredibly polished when it first appeared in good part because they sustained a smooth 60 fps. I don't know what the current-gen engines are like, and if there was tearing I can see why they offer the choice. But there shouldn't be tearing! If they aimed for and achieved 60 fps problem free on PS2, they could do the same on PS360. To go from smooth 60 fps to 30 fps is a painful backwards step for the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back