Mirror's Edge video (looks hot)

22psi

Veteran
vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg7-DDnRpXk&fmt=18

info: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=792

A first-person take on the Prince of Persia-style action-adventure platforming genre, Mirror's Edge is unlike any game I've come across. In terms of existing properties, it can be described as a combination of Ubisoft Montreal's Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and the constant first-person perspective of Namco's Breakdown. However, that comparison doesn't quite do the game justice.

:oops:

Parkour and free running were the inspirations for the game. Only thing I'm not digging is the main character. I like how she's Asian, female, and isn't some beefed up freak, but the tattoos and that weird make up on her right eye is just unusual. Other than that, I'm very interested.

Parkour and free running were the inspirations for the game. Only thing I'm not digging is the main character. I like how she's Asian, female, and isn't some beefed up freak, but the tattoos and that weird make up on her right eye is just unusual. Other than that, I'm very interested.

I like that she's unusual - she's doing frigging parkour! And since when is make-up on a girl unusual?

So they say it's ingame...it almost looks too good. What's the native resolution and AA?

Followed Jawed's link and found these developer interviews. This game deserves more love. The trailer when viewed on a HD TV/monitor is breathtaking.

I like their idea. Put away the gun and look for breakthrough in a first person game.

They need to show some variety in the gameplay, which in due time, they will, I guess.
THe visual treatment is very fresh, the white with primary colours is very mesmerizing!

Art style reminds me of Portal, or what portal'd be outdoors.
I'm looking forward to the gameplay too,
however it's a little disappointing the camera is still on-rails like old school FPS.
I hope they will have an option for more realistic camera for people who likes to throw out. :)

BTW HD trailer is on PSN, ready for pixel counting.

Art style reminds me of Portal, or what portal'd be outdoors.
I'm looking forward to the gameplay too,
however it's a little disappointing the camera is still on-rails like old school FPS.
I hope they will have an option for more realistic camera for people who likes to throw out. :)

Ah, Portal - it was really bugging me what other game recently looked similar :smile:

The vid I linked has an option for a downloadable HD version. No AA and no reflection of Faith in glass, which I hope they correct - that really would spice up the first-person feel.

Jawed

I watched in on my 1080p set with overscan disabled, looks like 1280 x 720 no AA. Now we just need to know which version the video comes from. ;)

looks great, looking forward to it!

like that its coming out for PC as well (I dont own consoles). dig the character design, style, and music. I hope they dont try and extend the length of the game by adding generic gun sequences.

I usually dont get off on ultra-clean visual styles but it works real well here. like something is definatelly wrong under that clean sparkling city

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, music and artwork remind me of "Beyond Good & Evil". Hopefully this will be a trend toward a larger selection of highly refined games with a bit more meat, and less carnage.....

P.S. Reading about Doom4 dropped my spirits...this game raised them right back up :)

PS3 Cell lets DICE push texture res "much higher"

During Decker's on-stage presentation he said that "thanks to the incredible processing power of the PS3" DICE was able to make its "vision of what the game really is".

When we caught up with him off stage to quiz him further on what the PS3 had allowed DICE to achieve with Mirror's Edge, Decker replied: "The great thing about it is that there's a lot of little things like, Faith there when she's walking like this (points to Mirror's Edge trailer showing Faith tightrope-walking across a beam), Sixaxis controls, super easy to implement and say, OK well just balance it and then you've got it there, as opposed to teaching a player to say, oh let's push this button or that button."

He added: "The other thing is the Cell really allows us to push the resolution of our textures much higher and we've taken full advantage of that as well. So there's a lot of little quirks to it that we really like and our engineers love as well as our designers."

However, Decker refused to go as far as to say the PS3 version of Mirror's Edge will be superior to the Xbox 360 version, saying "each one is different".

Can someone (PS3 developer preferably) please elaborate on the bold comment?

Is there something else or different beyond the obvious things Cell-SPUs are doing with textures?

Why just mention only the Cell, rather than the RSX GPU which is suited/ment for texture handling?

Back