GRID

I'm sorry but Motostorm looks like a bag of ass, this game destroys it utterly.

Just my opinion of course.

Wow. Motorstorm looks much better than this - for a start the lighting puts it into another generation. It's going through the levels of Motorstorm as the lighting changes that really makes it look incredible - it just gets better and better tha tgame, blew me away towards the end of the game. Motorstorm is still up there with the best of them (the best of them being GT5p and PGR4). I wouldn't put GRiD above Burnout Paradise - it's just such an odd shading.

Just tried this demo....for the second time. The first time I tried it I was like wtf these controls are unusable, and I deleted the demo. Decided to give it another try today and re-downloaded it. I think the main thing is to forget any previous driving memory you have, this game definitely controls differently than other games. The previous driving game I played a lot was PGR4, and if you drive in Grid like you drove in PGR4, you will wipe out all over the place.

I think the key difference is to assume that these cars in Grid all have 600+ torque going to the rear wheels with no traction control, hence feather the throttle. With that in mind I drove again with the Mustang and did way better, I was able to come in 1st in the race. The still need to tweak the controls, but once I figured them out I was able to tear around the track fairly easy. It's a fun little game overall, the amount of chaos on screen can be hilarious.

The UI in the GRiD demo is not as airy (or intuitive) as it was in the DiRT demo. (-)

The developer seems to employ the same racing philosophy on-road (in GRiD) as it did off-road (in DiRT), namely that contact with other drivers is inevitable. The aim is not to avoid collisions as much as to survive them. Think Burnout, not PGR. (+/-)

UI and philosophy aside, poorly articulated suspension systems make automobiles grossly inefficient. I am clueless as to how weight is being transferred, and this affects driver inputs ... and expected results. In the end, driving at or near the performance limit makes racing an exercise in micromanagement. I can't imagine having to cope with this mechanic in an endurance event like the 24 Heures du Mans. (-)

Stunning visuals are the watermark of the developer, and apart from that the demo has limited utility. After playing 1P and XBL multiplayer for a couple of hours, I am not compelled to play it again. Nor has my interest been piqued for the retail version. This, of course, was not the case with the DiRT demo. (-)

keep coming back to this demo for the awesome visuals and am finding I'm getting "it" with the racing/driving.

the damage model and not crashing (or surviving bumps with the least damage) is essential in this game.

the control is pretty cool if you're not a purist.

and once again thee 4xAA and insane amount of activity on and around the track and the gritty feeling give this game a very organic feel compared to most racers out there. not only is it possibly the best looking racer out there it plays better than most arcade racers I've tried this gen (all, i think) and it looks like what I expected Forza to look like.

i enjoy it far more already than PGR4 or Dirt

Well the presentation was good, an obvious swing towards their previous title DiRT, however my big problem with the game is it's arcadey. DiRT technically was an arcade rally racer, but it had enough realism and it was fun too. GRID looks great, but I hate the handling. It feels like an F1 game. But the presentation was great, even better than DiRT, and the graphics were beautiful. They've really come along way with improving their Neon Engine this time around.

IGN 8.7 Great

I have not stopped playing this demo as it really grows on someone like me who likes the line between arcade and sim. It's fun, challenging and the damage model and crashes and rewind learning feature are cool as hell. At a 9.5 graphics score, I agree, as it is the best looking racer (one of the most beautiful games.) so far IMO

oh and been meaning to add this game has one of the most immersive uses of rumble in combination with the sounds. the feeling of clipping the road beneath you on the hills of SF and the subtle bumps in the road and scrapes feel real, rather than contrived \.

Closing Comments
There are plenty of other racing games on the market, but Grid captures the soul of the track like none other. The crashes are insane, the races are intense, the cars are coated with style and the overall presentation is just plain sexy. Although its car count is low, customization is limited and the repetitive dialogue grates a bit, Grid's stands out as a stylish but serious alternative to both hardcore driving simulations and over-the-top arcade racers.

out of 10

8.5 Presentation
The glossy, dynamic DiRT-style menus are back, but without the long load times. Grid is wrapped in a superior package, but the low car count is a bit disappointing.

9.5 Graphics
Beautiful lighting, full damage modeling, great-looking tracks and lovingly-rendered cars, all running smoothly at top speeds? Yes, please.

8.5 Sound
The menu music is great, and the cars purr and scream appropriately, even changing tone with each camera view. But the recorded dialogue gets repetitive too quickly.

9.0 Gameplay
Grid gets racing right. The tracks are intense, the crashes are spectacular to behold and the cars are a blast to drive.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
It will take you a good long while to reach the top of the rankings in Grid's single-player mode, and there's full multiplayer as well.

Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

GT video review here

Last edited by a moderator:
Tap In,

Have played PGR4? I'd take that over this for the fun factor. PGR4 is still quite arcade like but the driving physics are still loads better than Dirt. You can actually feel the car.

Tap In,

Have played PGR4? I'd take that over this for the fun factor. PGR4 is still quite arcade like but the driving physics are still loads better than Dirt. You can actually feel the car.

I owned it for a bit and still have the demo... beautiful game and fun to play for a bit but the feeling of being in a race with other drivers pales in comparison to Grid IMO. the cockpit is the most playable of any game I've yet tried.

Grid has me bumping and grinding my way around the track and avoiding collisions with flags waving and debris flying and sound roaring and feels real compared to PGR4.

I really do not think much about how the cars feel I like how the racing feels. :cool: Although saying this drives like Dirt on the street is unfair as it feels better than that imo. also there is a wide variety of racing types

I think it's clear that those who prefer sims... need not apply. (I know PGR is considered arcade but straddles the line as does Grid) ;)

Tap In,

Well Grid tries to be a violent arcade racer ;)

I really don't like the "No driving sensation" from the demo… I got the impression of playing a NFS :(
Graphically is nice but I preferred PGR4…
Damages are great…
For me is like DIRT a very good potential but not exploited in a direction I'm like, and more important is less fun than PGR4, and fun is a very important factor for a arcade game…
So no buy.

nice

....For those keeping score, that means we're talking about a potential PGR-beater - one that articulates its vehicles and disciplines keenly and distinctly, and encourages you to take risks throughout each race. Completing the formula is the competitiveness of your AI opposition, which fights you right up to the finish line, seizing on your mistakes but making a few of its own too. Cars spin out, nudge one another by accident and misjudge the odd corner, rather than studiously following the racing line, and you soon realise that if a rival ahead of you spins out and you follow him, rewinding with Flashback allows him to rethink his actions too. The damage model also means that violently bullying cars out of the way, corner after corner, is less effective than it has been in other games.

...Otherwise, GRID is a great success: the single-player is varied without being confusing; the online multiplayer supports 12 players and damage modelling, reducing the number of first-corner pile-ups; tracks and cars are well chosen and recreated; and Flashback allows you to race with the same determination on lap three as you did on lap one, mitigating risk in a manner of which other racing game developers will soon be envious. Even if GRID doesn't give Codemasters parity with PGR in US sales, as the developer hopes, it's a fine achievement and an early leader in the race to be 2008's best driving game.

Just a few updates: Firstly, we v-sync every frame, but allow the game to overrun if needed, which is very rare and is much preferable to a complete frame drop. Secondly, our performance tests show that the 360 is running at a rock solid 30fps and the PS3 rarely drops, being rock solid 99% of the time. San Fran in the demo is probably our worst performer when the action gets really heavy on a couple of those long straights. Thirdly, we don't lead on any platform. We have dedicated teams on each platform as that is the only way to get the best from each of them. Fourthly, there are some extra performance improvements between the demo and release on PS3 as we were tuning right to the last minute. This should be apparent in our forthcoming reviews. Just to be on the safe side, we also have some further improvements lined up our patch.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4042515&postcount=15

Good news.

http://www.ps3news.ca/05262008/09/codemasters_talks_ps3_grid_vs_xbox_360

With GRID coming out next week, it's crunch time for Codemasters to get things right after the underwhelming demo.

According to executive producer Gavin Raeburn (aka Uncle Chewy), not only have there been major improvements made, but there's more tweaks on the way in patch form.

"Firstly, we v-sync every frame, but allow the game to overrun if needed, which is very rare and is much preferable to a complete frame drop," he wrote on the company's official forum.

"Secondly, our performance tests show that the 360 is running at a rock solid 30fps and the PS3 rarely drops, being rock solid 99% of the time. San Fran in the demo is probably our worst performer when the action gets really heavy on a couple of those long straights," Raeburn continued.

"Thirdly, we don't lead on any platform. We have dedicated teams on each platform as that is the only way to get the best from each of them," he added.

"Fourthly, there are some extra performance improvements between the demo and release on PS3 as we were tuning right to the last minute. This should be apparent in our forthcoming reviews. Just to be on the safe side, we also have some further improvements lined up our patch," concluded the Codemasters exec.

I think its only the PS3 very that needed to be tweak or really need some tweaking with the sharpness, frame rate and screen tearring.

Videogamer.com - 9/10

Codemasters is well known as one of the leaders in the racing game market, but with the PGR, Forza and Gran Turismo series all leading the way the UK-based publisher needed Race Driver: GRID to be something special. With the most impressive visuals ever to grace a racing game, brilliant variety and game-making rewind feature GRID is everything we wanted it to be and quite possibly the racing game of 2008.

shifty was right. :p

I've been playing the demo like it's a full game... only one more week

Ingame vs ingame some thigns look better in one and better in the other. Also a bit inconsistent between levels/lighting settings. The tire smoke effect in GRID is delicious.

Back