Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also mentioned that the framerate isn't constant and in fire fights the framerate may drop so low, that it gets almost impossible to aim.

I'm going to call BS on this. Played the Beta and had some INTENSE moments where bullets and muliple grenades were going off killing people, and the frame rate was in the mid to high 20s. "Impossible to aim" is more than likely nothing more than magazine hyperbole.

HD version of the ballet:

[gt]44190[/gt]

It would make a nice commercial for a rated audience.

Done. Sorry 'bout that.

The "Invasion" trailer shows a new weapon that seems inspired by MGS.

EDIT: :oops: I went through all the trailers Lucid_Dreamer posted. Am stoked. Jeebus, how did GG do it ?
Running out of words to describe this thing.

I'm going to call BS on this. Played the Beta and had some INTENSE moments where bullets and muliple grenades were going off killing people, and the frame rate was in the mid to high 20s. "Impossible to aim" is more than likely nothing more than magazine hyperbole.

Eh... I was in the beta too and there were definitly times where the framerate dipped very low. Exactly those intense moments you were describing, basically crowded clusterfucks where you have about eight people in the same corridor, grenades and rockets going off, all kinds of particle effects everywhere. In those instances it dipped into 15fps territory.

HD version of the ballet:

[gt]44190[/gt]

It would make a nice commercial for a rated audience.

The "Invasion" trailer shows a new weapon that seems inspired by MGS.

EDIT: :oops: I went through all the trailers Lucid_Dreamer posted. Am stoked. Jeebus, how did GG do it ?
Running out of words to describe this thing.

Good evening everyone.

This is my first post, however I frequent these forums for about 3 years now..
:oops:

The video brings tears to my eyes (almost) - the music gives it an emotive side that few other games have.

Does anyone know the song title?

I apologize if it is off topic and shall refrain from posting mess, labeled as such in the future.

EDIT:

I have learnt much from the conversations on this and other boards. I thank you guys. However, when you mention G-Buffers I kinda doze off...

:p

Latest Pelit-magazine (biggest gaming magazine in Finland) was released yesterday and it had a long preview of KZ2 with new screenshots (AFAIK). I only had time to read the conclusion of the preview but it mentioned that the game looks great and it should give fierce competition to Resistance 2 as _the_ fps game for PS3.

It also mentioned that the framerate isn't constant and in fire fights the framerate may drop so low, that it gets almost impossible to aim.

Perhaps they tried an earlier build.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/935/935548p1.html
There's much more to the Killzone 2 engine than deferred rendering and screen passes; in fact, Arjan mentioned that every composite that is rendered within the game is placed solely upon the SPUs to lock in the framerate at a solid 30 FPS. During small battles, one or two SPUs will pick up a majority of the action, but during heavy firefights with large explosions and numerous characters onscreen, all six SPUs will pick up the load and balance everything accurately. Surprisingly, even within the heaviest firefight onscreen, Arjan pointed out that the largest load on each one of the SPUs didn't exceed 60%, which ensured that the framerate remained consistent throughout the game. On top of this, Arjan pointed out everything from light bloom and internal lens reflection effects to true geometric particles that fly from walls and collide with the ground realistically based on the direction of an explosion.

Plus, I haven't noticed any major framerate twitches while playing the multiplayer beta.

Eh... I was in the beta too and there were definitly times where the framerate dipped very low. Exactly those intense moments you were describing, basically crowded clusterfucks where you have about eight people in the same corridor, grenades and rockets going off, all kinds of particle effects everywhere. In those instances it dipped into 15fps territory.

It was never that low, not to mention I haven't seen THAT much chaos in any other game. Framerate in the beta is for the most part very solid and completely playable.

After watching those videos i really think this game looks *awesome* ! Animation is top notch and the of post processing effect is perfect. kudos to the guerilla team

Last edited by a moderator:
Apprently the final MP visual quality will be even greater than the BETA, not world apart but definetly noticeable as described by Sev from GG.

Defiantly impressive, but specular highlights and some bright transparent effects are looking somewhat clipped, e.g. out of range!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back