Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, i think we need some more grenades thrown at pillars to pinpoint this. One nade thrown at a pillar is hardly enough data to make any theories :)

I just spent some time playing with the pillars for kicks in a private server. Some results;
I was able to replicate that video on my first attempt, its pretty much exactly what happened aiming the grenades at the same spot.
Launching rockets at the center seemed to take down more from the top than the bottom every time.
You can't melee off the concrete, unless its cracked (theres hairline cracks where bullets hit) or shattered already, in which case you can.
The pieces of concrete definitely have physics, they can be wedged between lower parts of the broken pillar whilst falling. They'll crumble and disappear if hit further though.

Its not really the most impressive destructability engine ever, but then it is MP and more for eye-candy than gameplay.

And a bonus: the smoke looks beautiful when using an LMG to smash the pillars non-stop ;)

You can? I can't find the option.
Alt-2.

Uh... How did it seem good to you?

He threw a grenade infront of the pillar, and 2 "pieces" of debris fell off the pillar, problem being that the pieces where on the other side of the pillar (left front) while the grenade was thrown to the right front.

The side closest to the pillar should have had destruction aswell, in fact, it should have had more destruction than the side where the debris fell off!

Not necessarily. Think about it... If you put a piece of paper on a wall and blow on it what happens? It sticks against the wall. This is the same as the blast pushing the tiles against the pillar. However, the tiles on the left-side of the pillar are fixed away from the pillar so they cannot be held in place and simply blow away.

So many other games to play its been hard finding time to play this beta.

But I got to play a bit more tonight and it was still awesome. I just love the guns in this game. I love the overall feeling of it. It fun even just shooting at a wall. That's how awesome these guns are! GG really nailed this aspect of the game.

The destructibility video just reminded me of something. Deepbrown, have you tried shooting at the lights ? I know there are gameplay reasons why they may not allow you to do so. How do they handle this tricky business ?

Also, do you sustain damage if those set pieces fall on you ?

You can't shoot the lights. I didn't notice any environmental damage from debris, but this game is so intense I might be wrong. In terms of the pillar, I don't think there's much in the way of fancy physics taking place - I lobbed some grenades I think it's just a simple case of the tiles on one side being programmed to fly off, while the ones on the other don't.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a very impressive game, but I think the really cool stuff is going to be in the single-player mode.

Yeah unless they want cascading effects (like Resistance's Hedgehog grenade, LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm), I think physics-based response is probably overkill. The emphasis is more on destructability rather than physics.

Nope. I am without a KZ2 beta key too.

I prefer to wait this time (Not that I can change the situation ;-)). Still need to complete Bioshock, plus a few other new games. Then create a LBP level.

Aparently the key is linked to the Killzone Multiplayer theme that's available on PSN. If you didn't download that you won't get in, unless they start giving them out to some websites again.

Aparently the key is linked to the Killzone Multiplayer theme that's available on PSN. If you didn't download that you won't get in, unless they start giving them out to some websites again.

Is this new? I must have missed it. I DL all themes for game I am interested in.

I downloaded it about a month or two ago I think.

I just download everything and I'm glad about it.

I was ready to put Killzone on the looks pretty but not my thing shelf.

It is far better than I thought, I found it more enjoyable than the Resistance 2 beta even though I had no idea what the objective of the match I was in actually was.

Honestly, I haven't played much. I got into a few matches, but didn't really enjoy it as much as R2.

Looked stunning though.

No it is not , if it was I should be in the beta ... Downloaded theme from both US and EU PSN stores , but I'm out of beta ...:cry:

Yes it is, they still select people like a lottery, but if you didn't download that your name wasn't even in the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back