Killzone 2 pre-release discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reflections isn't interesting because of post processing, but because there's no separate channel for it in the G-buffer - at least based on the information so far. So either they're doing some trickery, or the ship is forward rendered, or something like that - all in all an interesting question.

Reflections isn't interesting because of post processing, but because there's no separate channel for it in the G-buffer - at least based on the information so far. So either they're doing some trickery, or the ship is forward rendered, or something like that - all in all an interesting question.

[wag tail]

A technical tidbit ! Hopefully, the mods will jump in and comment further.

EDIT:

I'll like to see what other roles can do in the next trailer. :)

I didn't see this last time:
http://www.psu.com/Killzone-2-badge-system-unveiled,-detailed-News--a0004245-p0.php

Rifleman:
The default multiplayer character is assigned when no primary badge is selected. A secondary badge may still be added. Riflemen can start with most weapons, except for the specialized ones.

Engineer:
Primary badge ability - Sets up an automated turret which targets the enemy
Secondary badge ability - Repairs ammunition dispensers, mounted guns, and automated turrets

Medic:
Primary badge ability - Revives downed team mates
Secondary badge ability - Throws a health pack, which can be picked up by other players

Scout:
Primary badge ability - Uses a cloaking suit to become near-invisible
Secondary badge ability - Tags all on-screen enemy players with a hidden marker, which broadcasts their coordinates to team mates

Assault:
Primary badge ability - Dons heavy armor twice as strong as normal
Secondary badge ability - Temporarily boosts running speed

Tactician:
Primary badge ability - Throws a coloured smoke grenade, which serves as a spawn point
Secondary badge ability - Requests air support from a sentry bot which targets the enemy

Saboteur:
Primary badge ability - Assumes the disguise of a randomly selected enemy player
Secondary badge ability - Throws a sticky, proximity-activated C-4 charge

Looks interesting enough, I wonder how it will all play out.

Just checked out Killzone.com and there are so many story articles there to read! I missed out on them after they revamped the site.

http://www.killzone.com/kz/news.psml?kz_news_article=f2a4e47d-7c45-4120-a97c-7e2a9eb25a54&kz_news_page=0
CHeck for more stories on the right hand side panel.
Hmm...So, the bandana guy's name is Shawn Natko! Atleast now we have a name when we discuss whether he is the coolest of the squad :p!
And here is a character model progression of Rico's face

Rico'sProgression

Looks like I was right when I said that Rico's face had changed from the last year's trailer!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are detailed stories about more colonies that survived, other than Helghan and Vekta, a total of 10.So, there is a chance that we might see other planets too!
Also, the articles mention that Helghan and Vekta are in the Alpha Centauri system, with Helghan being the planet orbitting Alpha Centauri A and Vekta orbitting Alpha Centauri B. So , now we know the real world(or shall we say Universe) locations of Helghan and Vekta !

Looks very good in the classes department, with the pick'n'mix approach. You'd need a well run team though with classes chosen and executed sensibly. If you want to play an engineer say, but all your team mates are idiots that just run in and get blown up, it'll be pretty frustrating.

Perhaps they render just the reflection in forward rendering pass, it's most likely just a transparent single textured version of the ship.
They still could use the specular masks from the G-buffer version of the ship for it.

Killzone 2 Gameplay Tweak

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/901/901040p1.html

Although the level is the same as the E3 showing, the QA manager at Guerilla Games was on hand to tell me that a few minor tweaks have been made to make this the far superior build. He mentioned that the AI is being improved, the controls are slicker and everything is spruced up and optimized, making it look and run even better than before. While I didn't see it as much as Greg did at E3, I have to agree that Killzone is still looking incredible and really demonstrates the power of the system admirably.

What I found myself enjoying the most -- even though it takes some getting used to -- is the weight that the weapons have in your hands. While I can't pinpoint the exact factor that lends to this sensation, the guns have a certain drag or roughness that works extremely well not only in terms of the game mechanics but also with the rugged, gritty tone of the Killzone world. Obviously there's some twitch gameplay involved, but your actions in Killzone 2 feel more deliberate and I enjoyed that change.

Now strangely, I become more wary of Insomniac's R2 gameplay just because I have played an earlier version. All the R2 previews talked about macro stuff and big picture. It seems none of the reviewer could tell me how it compares to R1.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/901/901040p1.html

Now strangely, I become more wary of Insomniac's R2 gameplay just because I have played an earlier version. All the R2 previews talked about macro stuff and big picture. It seems none of the reviewer could tell me how it compares to R1.

Ya! I was waiting for gameplay discussions to come up after the private beta. I am a little worriied about the way the guns position on the screen and the way the feel. Videoa can only tell you so much, a hands on description would be more apt.The revolver's behaviour on-screen reminded me of KZ's revolver, unnerving :???: !

There is a footage of new KZ2 engine build @ gametrailers [shakycam], and IMO it looks better. There is more "daylight rays", and smoke looks insane.

I love that they keep everything else hidden, i would rather experience the new levels myself.

For sure yeah, but a few screnshots from a few other levels can do no harm, may even ease peoples minds as to why the same level has been shown. Febuary can`t come soon enough for me.

They have shown one interior and one Exterior level to quiet down the mob.The technology has been proved. If you want to check out their varied environments, check out Killzone on the ps2.Slog through the initial boring levels and the game offers such varied,beautiful and atmospheric environments that you'll be at peace and have faith in Guerilla.

I would rather they not show any more levels and surprise me in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back