Sony Gamer's Day 2008 (May 6, 2008)

Heh, I remember the reaction when the first COD4 movies came out. "This means teh KZ CG movie is possible to do in realtime!!4!"

And now it's just standard stuff...

God, yeah... I remember that too. What I will say, without having given it much thought or research, is that the trailer impressed me much more than the gfx of the shipped product.

But a comparison was mentioned, and it was part of his argument. You cant reply without talking about it :p

I know where you're coming from... but... but... I got nothing. :(

The KZ2 gameplay has a very realistic battefield vibe, like CoD4. However, the latter has infinitely spawned enemies. Because of that I rated down its SP missions. As long as KZ2 offers real AI, it should play better and more variedly than CoD4.

KZ's lighting and animation looks more natural. It should also be able to support more dynamic lights. Another thing not shown is the weather system. When these elements are put together with level streaming promised by GG, they should be able to support a more intense and immersive experience.

What the journalists and us saw is the barebone shooter framework. The fact that they can play the game this early is a good sign. It helps to playtest the basic mechanics as well as subsequent gameplay innovation. All the little details like hit animations and NPC movements are also being finetuned (right in front of your eyes man).

Last edited by a moderator:
But remember that KZ2 isnt out yet either. Though CoD4 has nothing against KZ2 regarding shadows, animations (though not far off in some cases) and to a certain point lighting (CoD4 was very inconsistent in the lighting department IMO).
Though I dont agree on the amount of stuff happening, there are levels in CoD4 with lots of rocket trails, tracers, units moving etc. Otherwise I mean a couple of trails on the sky, random explosions and limited amount of soldiers and lots of background looping combat sounds isnt that much to begin with (or am I living in the wrong gen?). ;)

Yeah but I see Killzone 2 gameplay footage played by people at the spot. Unlike the carefully edited COD4 trailers that originally made an impression on me

edit: thats something I never saw in COD4

http://i30.tinypic.com/25a5h5w.gif

Great show!

Watching the KZ2 video definately gave me the same vibe as the E3 2005 trailer. I know its silly to keep bringing up that video but im glad that GG are trying their best to get the feel and look of it and they seem to be doing a good job :D

I've always seen images of Mirror's Edge before and its been intriguing me hoping that a trailer or gameplay footage will finally surface and now they finally did! :oops:

I cant help but be a little skeptical about the footage running in realtime(or ingame even) but if so, my goodness their art direction is stunning :eek:

The choice of colors is just boggling my mind that as I watch the footage, I cant help but think this is it, this is "the next gen" that we were promised 3 years ago so heres hoping they keep that same level of visual quality for the final game.

As for this whole COD4 vs. KZ2 thing:
aside from the camera and linear gameplay, I see no resemblance. I think a lot of skeptics and people that resent Sony are just looking for their daily fix of negativity.

edit: I own COD4 for PS3 and have completed the SP campaign (once), I believe I am qualified to offer my opinion on this matter.

I wonder how many of those on the other side of the fence can say the same truthfully.

Noone owns or plays KZ2 yet, so any experience with COD4 still isn't enough to make you more qualified to judge this game.

Don't misunderstand me, KZ2 looks very good and nice and all. It's just that it has become some kind of symbol and people overemphasize its importance - and thus they need to prove it to be the best and all. Try to look at the game on its own instead.

wow, killzone2 really have improved watching those new footages. really like the new volumetric smoke, they just feel so smooth and dense now. the ground texture seemed way more sharper now, must be the new streaming engine at work. the volumetric light beaming through the gaps of a helghast was worth mentioning to me also, but the building falling part, wether it's physics based or pre calculated sequence, was the most impressive part to me. personally i've completed COD4 and i can honestly say KZ2 is just better looking in every possible way.
and here're some resistance II shots! they're small but man, check out the rendering qaulity!
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/previews/182928.shtml

Don't misunderstand me, KZ2 looks very good and nice and all. It's just that it has become some kind of symbol and people overemphasize its importance - and thus they need to prove it to be the best and all. Try to look at the game on its own instead.

Looking at the game on its own...

To be frank, I don't see much resemblance too. The only similar things are the weapon targeting behavior and the battlefield vibe. Then again, Uncharted has similar cover system to Kill.Switch and Gears of War. They turn out to be very different games.

I'd say KZ2 scenes feel more atmospheric because of the subtle lighting and filters. There is no sign of infinite enemies. The explosions are really "meaty" too (e.g., The collapsing building and other smaller ones). And it's too early to judge what kind of game it is (What's the story like ? This time we are invading someone else instead of the opposite).

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, killzone2 really have improved watching those new footages. really like the new volumetric smoke, they just feel so smooth and dense now. the ground texture seemed way more sharper now, must be the new streaming engine at work.

Maybe they just fixed the blur bug that made the ground textures look terrible in the previous videos??

I didn't indend to start a FPS debate, what i meant was that the KZ2 gameplay video i quoted, didn't imo look all that amazing compared what CoD4 looks like (im not saying CoD4 looks better, im saying they look fairly close), aspecially considering CoD4 runs at double the framerate. It looked nice and all, but i didn't really get wowed by it.

Maybe that particular gameplay video was rather bad to use as a showcase for KZ2 graphics, but i expected more. Aspecially considering that KZ2 is a very high budget exclusive title, wheras CoD4 on the PS3 is a port\multiplatform title.

I have been wondering how a game can look better than best moments of CoD4.
There are times where CoD4 hits its realism target, how can you get better than that?
For example, putting twice the stuff on screen with same visual quality would only amount to technically better not visually better.
Too bad CoD4's visual success is limited to very well crafted, but scopewise limited scenes such as the ones with dominant single light source like sun or huge fire, thus game fails indoors, under rain and during most of the cutscenes.

The lighting, animation, camera-work and artistic optical effects including particles and volumetrics all come together to make KZ2 as shown here pretty outstanding. The 'feel' of the warzone is totally nailed and better than anything I recall seeing for other titles thus far.

i hope sony releases kz2 demo during holidays - looks good.
I think it's unlikely.
Why try to steal some thunder from RFOM II ;)

Between I watch other vdeos and I have to say that there is two much blur while moving.

But on the others side everything look completely outstading, smokes, animations, the guns I mean when the guy reload you feel the weight of the weapon.
I could say the same about the ground shaking during explosions.

Shortly, devs have ten more months and he game is already impressive.

Noone owns or plays KZ2 yet, so any experience with COD4 still isn't enough to make you more qualified to judge this game.

I'm not judging the game, I'm judging the visuals I see in the videos and screenshots that have been linked in this thread. All I meant by my previous comments was that a lot of people making comparisons that have not actually played COD4 on PS3 have less practical experience by which to make such a comparison.

I guess we're both trying to combat the same thing, just on different sides then ;)

KZ2 looks better every time I see it. I'm impressed with what's been shown thus far. I think we're already starting to see things on PS3 (and 360) that no one would've believed possible last generation, especially not given the memory limitations of each console.

It's an EU event. Really, NA customers have nothing to complain about. Free EOJ cards, better store, cheaper everything!

Ugh, thanks. Whens the US release, Thursday like normal? So much for "Gamer's Day". They shouldnt title is as gamers day, with a date if they arent going to deliver to all gamers.

Not sure about the US release but this event was widely known* to be run by SCEE. Let us Euros have something over the SCEA for once! :)

*By well known I mean by forum frequenters...

Back