Game console price cut needed, says Activivision CEO. How about games?

I agree that the software prices are insane in Europe.
For example, Orange Box for PC is 37.5 euros, but Orange Box for Playstation 3 is 62.5 euros!
Prices for console games are really high...

Thats why import my games from Japan and the States.

The funny thing is that even paying the taxes (which is quite high in Belgium) AND importduties I still have a profit of 20€ (sometimes more) against what I normally would pay in a shop (70€)

I don't buy the explanation anymore that the price difference has all to do with taxes.

Yeah but its to bad nintendo and in some cases MS too dont allow region free games so you have to have a imported console too to make it worth while which always is a bit of a gamble as far as warranty goes. Than again as it seems the only console out now which as a reasonable chance at failure is the x360.

I think is ...why we have this discussions?

Maybe answer is ...

We have some perceptions with most part of games (except some rpgs and open world games) are to short than last generations;

Consoles are still too expensive for gamers despite extra features (live,psn etc), cause im believe we have many gamers (yet) much more interested in single than multiplayers modes and videophile capabilities (wii comprove that);

I had impression that many developers maybe spent more part of your resources and time to graphics and physics than "playability",storyline as generations before,give some perceptions with more interesting graphs appeal it does care ,than a "full game" and all aspects (graphs,physics,playability,story and "charysma" etc).

I now games today spent much,much more( at medium range wii spent -> US$8 millions ,x360 US$10 millions and ps3 US$15 millions at least) than last generation, but they have to find a "midway" to give more "longevity" and "charysma" in games as we see in many titles (at same time of your genetation/stage) last generation.

And yes...consoles at 18/30 months launched your price could be less (maybe except wii despite "GC 1.5 tech" with wii mote...) than US$349 and 399.

yes but oblivion is what 3 years old. The next game like that might be fall out which is another year off.

You can argue that cod4 is a much better game than doom or quake , however i can argue I had just as much fun with doom and quake and they lasted much longer and cost less.

So I dunno. I much rather pay $40 bucks a game than $60. I'd pick up almost double the games actually if they wre priced like that

Quality matters much more to me now than quantity. I'd rather play a great 10 hour game than a 20 hour game with 10 hours of fluff (see most Japanese RPGs).

Quality matters much more to me now than quantity. I'd rather play a great 10 hour game than a 20 hour game with 10 hours of fluff (see most Japanese RPGs).

I definitely agree with this. I've played many long games that would have been much better if they were more concise.

I'd also like to point out that while games have risen from $40 to $60 since 1985. The consumer price index has risen 102% over that time. Had games been inline with that they would be about $81. So games are pretty cheap really. The hardware is also relatively cheaper as well. $400 for a console is not that expensive IMO. That's $7 per month for the life of a console. Pocket change. I spend more on cappacino's in two days than that.

I'd also like to point out that while games have risen from $40 to $60 since 1985. The consumer price index has risen 102% over that time. Had games been inline with that they would be about $81. So games are pretty cheap really. The hardware is also relatively cheaper as well. $400 for a console is not that expensive IMO. That's $7 per month for the life of a console. Pocket change. I spend more on cappacino's in two days than that.

I think the NA price is a little high for games. It definitely encourages people to be selective about which titles they buy, forcing them to rent the rest. If games were a little cheaper, I think people would probably end up spending more money on purchasing.

The price for games in Europe is insane. I'm not sure if adjusts well if you're paid in Euros or pounds, but from my financial standpoint, I would be entirely out of gaming.

Well thats not really true. Its true in the absolute sense that yes they are cheaper but you have to keep in mind that the current market is alot bigger in both hardware and maybe even more important software sales and games used to use more expensive cartridges instead of optical media that is very cheap to mass produce. I think if you count that in games now are more expensive even if you count in that if you calculate the 1985 price to now that would be 81$.

Also I dont see how the old price really matters in the comparison. Lots of things used to be more expensive in the past but that still doesnt mean that if they are cheaper by comparison now that the price is low.

In my opinion games are a mass market production now. Games are generally shorter (doesnt have to be bad, though a 6 - 8 hour SP mode is to short for me by any means) and become less and less appealing to me because its more and more of the same. Because of this, along with the price difference in europe compared to the us and japan I do think 60 euro's (and even more than 70 for some ps3 games) is way to expensive.

I don't think games are too expensive at all. If you enjoy your games you'll get many tens of hours of out them, well worth it IMO. And there's always used games if you really can't afford the $60. If you a wait a few months after release you can find AAA titles for $30 easily.

Missile Command didn't have a lot of content, and I think it cost around $30 on the 2600. Count your blessings.

Production costs have gone way, way up since last generation. Hence, you can expect the price of games to go up. We've talked about this before. SDKs do not come with a "Create Next-Gen Assets" button. Sure, a developer could make a game with the length, depth and content of Doom 2 and sell it for $30. But it would also have the approximate production values of Doom 2 as well. If you want games with the production values of COD4 and R6:V, you're going to have to pay for them. The games don't make themselves. If you want cheaper games, play Wii, handhelds, or retro consoles, because those are the platforms that support lower production values.

I think the NA price is a little high for games. It definitely encourages people to be selective about which titles they buy, forcing them to rent the rest. If games were a little cheaper, I think people would probably end up spending more money on purchasing.

The price for games in Europe is insane. I'm not sure if adjusts well if you're paid in Euros or pounds, but from my financial standpoint, I would be entirely out of gaming.

The numbers tell a different story. Games have risen 50% over the last 23 years. Other goods have risen 102%. That suggests that games are relatively cheap.

I'll never forget walking out of Wal Mart with Final Fantasy 3 SNES in 1994 having just dropped $72 on it.

Games today are a million times more technically advanced, with a million times more development cost (GTAIV was said to have 1,000 people worked on it) and cost $60.

Having said that, I dont know why, but $50 for a game was easier to stomach than $60. Some sort of psychological barrier I guess. $50 almost seems like a throwaway purchase to me, and for some reason $60 doesn't.

Missile Command didn't have a lot of content, and I think it cost around $30 on the 2600. Count your blessings.

Production costs have gone way, way up since last generation. Hence, you can expect the price of games to go up. We've talked about this before. SDKs do not come with a "Create Next-Gen Assets" button. Sure, a developer could make a game with the length, depth and content of Doom 2 and sell it for $30. But it would also have the approximate production values of Doom 2 as well. If you want games with the production values of COD4 and R6:V, you're going to have to pay for them. The games don't make themselves. If you want cheaper games, play Wii, handhelds, or retro consoles, because those are the platforms that support lower production values.

Exactly. Games are a lot deeper than they were in those days, both gameplay and art asset wise. I think it's a bunch of poor sods coming in here and complaining when they should go out and get a job that pays more than $10 per hour. :)

I'll never forget walking out of Wal Mart with Final Fantasy 3 SNES in 1994 having just dropped $72 on it.

Games today are a million times more technically advanced, with a million times more development cost (GTAIV was said to have 1,000 people worked on it) and cost $60.

Having said that, I dont know why, but $50 for a game was easier to stomach than $60. Some sort of psychological barrier I guess. $50 almost seems like a throwaway purchase to me, and for some reason $60 doesn't.

Yes and according to reports they sold 2.5million on the first day alone, how many games did that do in the old days? the market became alot bigger too that would/could/should cover for the higher development costs.

Ofcourse games have become better over the years (well, you could argue that, I still think HL1 beats most current fps games even though its outdated, most modern games are to much of the same I think) but the old days had so much more different stuff, not the marketing conform stuff we see alot today.

I just dont think 60+ euro's that most games cost today are worth it. Most have short SP so you have to go for the online play. But I dont like online play that much, I play a few games online for a long time the rest I want to have a good SP and alot of games today are just more of the same. I dont see how that is worth 60 euro's or more. Now if we would get the US prices in euro's I would say prices are right.

I brought up my quake and doom to back up my point that games used to be longer and less expensive. I don't see any hypocrisy. Back in the early 90s and even thourh the late 90s games on average (imo) were longer. Even crysis was shorter than farcry by about 3 hours for me.

You cannot make a blanket statement that games used to be longer, its ignorant to do so. There are plenty of long games today. Yes, games used to be cheaper. But since you cant grasp the concept of the fact that games have not gone up in price like most every other form of entertainment, or things in our daily life, you dont get the point.

Its hypocrisy, using Quake and Doom as an example, then saying that Oblivion is too old to be used as one.

There are also older nintendo , super nintendo and others that are longer than modern day gaeams. Mario 3 is much longer than mario galaxy's even if you include searching for every star in the game. Heck call of duty 2 was longer than call of duty 4 single player and the multiplayer was top notch at the time.

Wrong again. You can find very long games, all over the place today. Once again, making a blanket statement that games from years past are older, is ignorant.

you can argue that game prices have come down. I bought mario 64 for $70 and smash broes for $90 . However in the last 20 years we have gone from expensive rom carts to cheap discs . We have gone from long exerpiances to shorter ones.

Hows that movie price? Hows that arcade game price? Hows that roller skating price? The fact is that prices have gone up. You cant expect game prices to stay the same, when prices have soared to make them, and most every other form of entertainment has gone up a lot more, percentage wise. Care to take a guess at the movie prices of 20 years ago? Compare that to days prices, and you'll see it has risen much more. Either you can admit that, or not. But its a fact.

Meh , I know that over the last 2 generations i have bought less and less games because there is less value in all of them. Look at heavenly sword. You can beat it in 6 hours and they charge 60 bucks for it. For me games have gone up $10 bucks since the ps1 and saturn days of buying games while the amount of time required to beat them has gone down.

Then I hope you have gone to see less and less movie, not gone to theme parks, been to a zoo, etc. Because they have all gone up a lot more than games.

I wouldnt say 6 hours for HS, took me around 9. Sure I could have rushed thru it, but I didnt. And you could beat it in 6 hours, if that was your only goal. Guess what, you can beat SMB in under 6 minutes.

And again (how you cant understand this I dont know) you cant make a blanket statement that games in the past, are longer than current games. There are plenty of games that are long. Mass Effect is pretty long, FF Tactics is long, the list goes on and on. Not to mention, that with a lot of games, there is multiplayer of the internet. Which was not available with previous systems, that you mentioned. Which adds hours upon hours of gameplay. You could play Gears of War, Halo, COD4, TF2, etc as long as you wanted to.

In fact, in todays console world, not only can you play online, but you can also get downloaded material that gives you extra play time in games. New maps, new characters, etc. Play Ridger Racer on the PS1, you get only whats on the disc. Play it on the PSP/PS3, you get new tracks, that lengthen play time. This is the case with many games.

So for the last time, your statement that games were longer in the past, is ignorant, and wrong. Its really as simple as that.

Who cares? You're going to wind up paying $50 a month for rest of your life, equaling a present value of like $10,000.

Lets assume risk free rate will average out as 10% for the rest of your life (which is quite high, but assuming we say that US treasury bonds are riskless, it could happend).

$50 a month *12= 600

PV= $600\0.1 = $6000.

(yes, you probably know this, but somebody else may not)

Ythe market became alot bigger too that would/could/should cover for the higher development costs.

The market for traditional games has not really grown since last gen. However, development costs have gone up by roughly a factor of 5. Publishers and developers need to actually make profits. Consider yourself lucky that a 400% increase in development costs caused only a 20% increase in game prices.

I just dont think 60+ euro's that most games cost today are worth it.

Then don't buy them. If you'd rather pay 50 euros for last-gen production values, vote with your dollars and buy Wii, DS, PSP, or PS2 games. If enough people feel the same way, content producers will eventually respond. Video games are a luxury item, so if they're truly priced too high, the market will collapse.

Instread of cutting game prices in general,allow for more flexibility in terms of pricing new games sold at retail,instead of them being generally all one price.

The market for traditional games has not really grown since last gen. However, development costs have gone up by roughly a factor of 5. Publishers and developers need to actually make profits. Consider yourself lucky that a 400% increase in development costs caused only a 20% increase in game prices.

Then don't buy them. If you'd rather pay 50 euros for last-gen production values, vote with your dollars and buy Wii, DS, PSP, or PS2 games. If enough people feel the same way, content producers will eventually respond. Video games are a luxury item, so if they're truly priced too high, the market will collapse.

Thats the problem, they arnt priced high enough for people not to buy them.

And again, its easy talking in a dollar country. Keep in mind that my 60 euro's mean 92 dollars from where you are from. Remember how somebody on the last page said games if you'd calculate it to modern prices should be 71 dollars? I'm actually paying 20 dollars more! As I said, I'd have no problem with 50 euro games (which is still 77 dollars, still 50% more than you pay for a 50 dollar game, 17 dollars more than your average game) but the simple fact is that I get butt raped by all developers because im in Europe when it comes to prices. Its hard arguing that becase as somebody on the other page said no way it are taxes and stuff like that causing the increase in price.

Back