Anybody with GTA IV problems?

Good to hear about the multiplayer. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a frustrating experience trying to play with my actual friends instead of just random people. Check this out tonight.

I have a 60Gig PS3 and after 4 hrs it did freeze once while I was watching the comedy sketch about war being like a fight against a midget . When it froze I thought it completely froze but holding the PS button and then pressing [O] resumed the video.

So you could say it has never completely crashed as I was able to resume the gameplay.

60GB JAP PS3 and it froze right after intro cutscene was finished. Did a reboot and skipped the intro and then I was about to drive the car for about 10m and then it froze.
Deleted game data and save game, then reinstalled, still froze after cutscene.

Will try to delete and install again, but not very hopefull now.

I have noticed one very weird thing, though it may just be coincidence, but since installing GTA I can now no longer select any options from the menu if I press the PS button. I can scroll through the options but can't select any, also I can't then quit from menu. But it al works fine with the BD controller. Weird huh?

Check your controller. One of the buttons may be stucked temporarily (e.g., R2). It happened to me before.

I had some freezing problems as well (PS3 60gig). One time when I wanted to zoom in the map and one time while changing weapons.

The game just froze after a few hours of play during loading... Don't like that.

Launch 60GB PS3

GTA SE (wouldn't think that it would matter, but who knows)

Freezes at intro. Pauses briefly (video), resumes for a frame or 2, then the video freezes. Audio continues, but the controller does not respond (including the PS button). First time it happened I tried to restart, and try again. Same result, although at a different point in the intro video. Trying the reinstall trick now. Not very hopeful though.

On a side note, install takes about 7 minutes for me, installs 3.3 GB.

No success with the re-install.

Ejecting the BD (during the freeze) stops the audio. Putting it back in restarts the PS3 for some reason.

Gradthrawn, have you talked to Sony support ?

Nope. After a little Googling it appears to be a common problem across both platforms and all PS3 SKUs. Doesn't mean its not a problem w/ my particular PS3, of course. But I'm hoping for a user discovered fix or a patch before I take any action.

Doing some experimenting myself as I had pretty much cleared the rest of the night out for GTA. =) There's a lot of variables due to the nature of the PS3 and its many settings and options, as most of you know. Trying the most obvious one's out nonetheless (resolution, connection, audio settings, network settings, etc).

Have you tried the wireless vs wired connection setup ? Or disconnect from the net totally and see if it plays ?

EDIT: If that's the case, then the first point of contact should be R*, not Sony.

Backed Up my data using the built-in utility (bravo to SCE for including that) and then did a System Restore, w/ the quick format option. Didn't restore any data, just went straight into the game. No luck, same problem. I'm tired, so, I'm going to let it do a full format overnight (via system restore) and try again.

Yes, I want the game to work that badly. :D :p

If nothing else, maybe my futile attempts will save someone else the trouble of trying the same things. :LOL:

Have you try to defrag your PS3 hdd ? I noticed the problem is with older PS3, the hdd is probably fragmented by now. The game could be sensitive to streaming. Worth a try anyway.

How do you defrag the PS3 HDD?

I've noticed my PS3 never shuts down properly when I've been playing GTA. It always beep-beep-beep's at me before shutting down similar to how it does if you force it to powerdown if a game has frozen.

At least this time Rockstar have the chance to fix all these bugs in their code unlike previous generations.

How do you defrag the PS3 HDD?

You can't or don't have to apparently its one of those auto defrag file system. I thought you could.

But this GTA problem at least the intro one is a programming bug. So I doubt anything will work until Rockstar patch it.

I've noticed my PS3 never shuts down properly when I've been playing GTA. It always beep-beep-beep's at me before shutting down similar to how it does if you force it to powerdown if a game has frozen.

At least this time Rockstar have the chance to fix all these bugs in their code unlike previous generations.

happened once to me too.

btw..... the framerate, is just awful. And the faster your car goes, the more it drops.
Less than 15fps when you are at top speed.

Good thing I always got used to play GTA that way on my pc.

Back