Anybody with GTA IV problems?

BoardBonobo

My hat is white(ish)!
Veteran
There have been reports of problems with GTA on both the PS3 (60Gb models in particular) and 360. Random freezing and refusing to load on the PS3 (fixable if you delete the game data and reinstall apparently). Feezing and tearing on the 360 along with a number of RROD's (unsuprising).

I got my PS3 copy today and so far haven't had any problems. Has anybody else?

I notice when I first started GTA on the 360 after the inital update, all I got was sound and no picture. Restarting the 360, corrected that issue.

No problems in a very short play-test (PS3) so far.

But I am a little worried. Keep us all posted of any issues please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you try to defrag your PS3 hdd ? I noticed the problem is with older PS3, the hdd is probably fragmented by now. The game could be sensitive to streaming. Worth a try anyway.

Have you try to defrag your PS3 hdd ? I noticed the problem is with older PS3, the hdd is probably fragmented by now. The game could be sensitive to streaming. Worth a try anyway.

Is that even possible? I'm going over my buddies house tomorrow for band practice, and he has a 360 with the same TV hooked up via HDMI. Needless to say, im very curious as to what the comparison will be. After reading these reviews, I'm really blown away by some of the comments I have seen. I want to judge by my own set of eyes, in motion, on 42" 1080p display.

Is that even possible? I'm going over my buddies house tomorrow for band practice, and he has a 360 with the same TV hooked up via HDMI. Needless to say, im very curious as to what the comparison will be. After reading these reviews, I'm really blown away by some of the comments I have seen. I want to judge by my own set of eyes, in motion, on 42" 1080p display.

I look through my PS3, can't find a way to defrag it. Well I guess the only way is to reformat the whole drive, I don't think that's worth trying unless you have external drive to back up data.

I've seen the 360 version, I would consider the frame rate as poor and I can't play it with that frame rate. I haven't seen the PS3 version though I can't see it having better frame rate.

I'm going to hypothesize something here for those of you having problems with gta iv hang-ups (both on PS3 and 360).

first some observations:

-hang ups happen on both systems.
-hang ups tend to happen more on 60 gb PS3 launch systems and Elite 360s
-hang ups tend to happen in and around the apartment and the cafe.
-hang ups tend to occur during cinematics and cutscenes (delayed audio, too)
-stuttered loading happens around times of crashes
-most people having problems are part of the gta iv social club (connection via internet, wired or wireless)
-hang ups occur during multiplayer

My hypothesis:

Apparently, R* is collecting user data via a constant stream of packets being sent back and forth to the the gta iv social club website. The less consistent the internet connection, packet information obviously could be lost during transmission, which might cause some sort of hang up or hardware resources conflict between buffered information on the harddisk and the network adapter (wireless on ps3s and wired on 360s). I wonder if disabling the network adapter while playing the single player game might clear up much of these issues. This would also account for the 60 gb launch PS3 having the greatest issues...a shoddy wireless connection because of the iffy wireless network adapter might be the culpret (PS3's wireless adapter has seen several modifications since the launch unit).

Some one who has the game should try it and report back.

I look through my PS3, can't find a way to defrag it. Well I guess the only way is to reformat the whole drive, I don't think that's worth trying unless you have external drive to back up data.

I've seen the 360 version, I would consider the frame rate as poor and I can't play it with that frame rate. I haven't seen the PS3 version though I can't see it having better frame rate.

Gah, almost picked up a copy today but all this is making me think about waiting the 6 months for the PC release...

Where I can just throw a ton of overpowered hardware at it.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

No real issues here with the 360 version. Just kind of miffed at the horrible dithering. Really sticks out like a sore thumb. Have my 360 set to output 1360x768 over VGA to my 32" LCD. Not sure if that makes a difference though.

Gah, almost picked up a copy today but all this is making me think about waiting the 6 months for the PC release...

Where I can just throw a ton of overpowered hardware at it.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Unless you're very sensitive with frame rate like me (I get motion sickness with fast moving camera with low or fluctuating frame rate), you should pick the game up if you like the previous version.

Back