[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

Is D2D still plagued with the old problem it had with some games, aka requiring D2D-specific patches instead of the same as everyone else?

If I buy the game, would the code work with version installed from DVDs too?

Could someone send me a "save" file?
I accidentally deleted my old copy of GTA IV.

I stopped in that part where Niko is chasing a russian mob in an helicopter, the rasta guy is piloting it. The helicopter is damn hard to pilot.

I really don't want to start all over again, it's many weeks of gameplay.

Thanks.

Ok, Just installed the ENB series mod. Can someone tell me some cheats for GTA4 so that I can mess around. i don't have old save games, so I am stuck at the beginning.
Need to see some fireworks :D !

This game is strange, changing the resolution has no impact on the FPS at all !!! I run it at 1920X1080 and 800X600 and I get the same fps.
Also,I am getting the same fps no matter what settings I change in its graphics options too.
:???:

ENB smokes perfomance even if it is disabled. Aslong as it is in your game folder it will hook the game in some form and due the nature it will affect perfomance greatly.

What CPU?
QUad Core Q9450 2.6ghz

ENB smokes perfomance even if it is disabled. Aslong as it is in your game folder it will hook the game in some form and due the nature it will affect perfomance greatly.

I am using EnB, but there seems to be no change in fps at all whether I change res or any detail options. I can see the changes in the game, but no change in performance at all. This is something new to me as I bring down the res from 1920 to just 800X600 and I don't get even a single frame gain ?!?!?!:oops:

I don't want to disable it, but there has to be someway of improving performance with EnB enabled ?

QUad Core Q9450 2.6ghz

I am using EnB, but there seems to be no change in fps at all whether I change res or any detail options. I can see the changes in the game, but no change in performance at all. This is something new to me as I bring down the res from 1920 to just 800X600 and I don't get even a single frame gain ?!?!?!:oops:

I don't want to disable it, but there has to be someway of improving performance with EnB enabled ?

I get the same fps in 20s with a bit of AI on the screen( five stars police:p) at 1024x768 vs 2048x1536....that with a lowly dual core at 3GHz and a 4850. What's your card?
What has worked for me:
Overclocked the cpu a bit, disabled AO in enb, used contig for defragmenting the gta folder, put textures on high( yes you read that right), if you're using shadows decrease the filtering quality in enbseries.ini(2 is worst, -1 best and same goes for AA), turned off all background gpu logging applications.

Over at the gta forums some guys have made pretty good customisations and it's fun trying them out. One of them was the video I posted above, though his final config doesn't use enb at all and still looks damn good.

This game is strange, changing the resolution has no impact on the FPS at all !!! I run it at 1920X1080 and 800X600 and I get the same fps.
Also,I am getting the same fps no matter what settings I change in its graphics options too.
:???:

This game is heavily cpu limited. I got ~25fps in the benchmark with a 2.4ghz q6600 and a 580gtx, and now get ~45fps with an i7-920 2.6ghz and the same 580gtx. Both benchmarks were run with everything maxed, except 30/30 for the view distances, and 1920x1080 resolution. If I recall, cpu use on the q6600 was ~86%, and around ~45% on the i7.

Fyi, that old core2quad series of cpu's was limiting just about all my games. I've been re-benchmarking old games like Lost Planet 2, Mafia 2, etc, and they all run much faster from just the cpu swap. But by far GTA4 seems to be the game most limited by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
and they all run much faster from just the cpu swap.

really ?
you didnt upgrade the mboard or increase the ram to take advantage of triple channnel
and you are so lucky i tried everywhere to get a ddr3 version of the q6600 but they must of sold out ;)

really ?
you didnt upgrade the mboard or increase the ram to take advantage of triple channnel
and you are so lucky i tried everywhere to get a ddr3 version of the q6600 but they must of sold out ;)

Ok course I changed the mobo and ram as well, didn't think that needed mentioning :)

lol forgot the most important, play on xp. :oops:

Ok course I changed the mobo and ram as well, didn't think that needed mentioning :)

I read that some 4xx(460&470 iirc) cards were seeing under-utilisation on amd and intel's older quads, newer drivers seems to have fixed the issue for some.

I get the same fps in 20s with a bit of AI on the screen( five stars police:p) at 1024x768 vs 2048x1536....that with a lowly dual core at 3GHz and a 4850. What's your card?
What has worked for me:
Overclocked the cpu a bit, disabled AO in enb, used contig for defragmenting the gta folder, put textures on high( yes you read that right), if you're using shadows decrease the filtering quality in enbseries.ini(2 is worst, -1 best and same goes for AA), turned off all background gpu logging applications.

Over at the gta forums some guys have made pretty good customisations and it's fun trying them out. One of them was the video I posted above, though his final config doesn't use enb at all and still looks damn good.

I have the same card as yours : 4850 :) !
I'll try with ur recommended settings, though I don't feel like turning off AO ! I mean, AO + Skylight looks great ;) ! Also, I think it doesn't allow me to make textures setting "High". I might be wrong though.
2llh7cj.jpg

102o2tk.jpg

Frankly speaking, if the game had shipped with such graphics, i might have tried to play more !

fine do what you want:p
I put the textures on high because if I keep medium textures they tend to reload every time I turn around like this:

earlier I didn't get this behavior in gta iv but only in the eflc but somehow it happens in gta iv too. You can make a commandline.txt file in the gta iv folder and add
-availablevidmem (multiple) command that gets the memory required for high textures. 1.5 to 2.0 are sufficient; some initial hiccups when you start the game but then it's smooth for most part.

Frankly speaking, if the game had shipped with such graphics, i might have tried to play more !

yeah going in for the 4th playthrough with new settings :D

Pardon the necro but this seemed like the most appropriate thread. There's an ENB type graphics mod that's been pretty popular recently. Here's a couple vids:

Back