Wardevil info.

[*tried to bump an older, related thread with no success, it refuses to accept my posts]

New Wardevil screens, folks, trailer coming the end of the month and possibly more info at Sony Gamer's Day, the latest crop of (bull?)shots are from the upcoming trailer and look quite impressive.

Overall, I'm a fan of the art direction;while I don't particularly like the main character's design, the cyborgs are undeniably cool looking.
Also like the trails and smatterings of blood everywhere, it makes the cyborgs seem all the more unsettling, and in some of these screens, even slightly sympathetic.

wdteaser1080web002bl3.jpg

Wardevil Trailer Screen 1

Wardevil Trailer Screen 2

Wardevil Trailer Screen 3

Wardevil Trailer Screen 4

Wardevil Trailer Screen 5

Wardevil Trailer Screen 6

I'm interested in finding out how exactly Digi Guy are getting this kind of IQ with a 1920x1080 framebuffer at 60 with just 256mb of vRam. The character poly count looks fairly normal, but look at the high res background, or the rubble at the center of the picture.
I'm also having trouble finding any significant aliasing, what kind of AA techniques are Digi-Guy using at? How can these guys get 6-10 enemies on screen running complex animations with potentially complex AI, advanced particle effects, and motion blur/DOF at a non-upscaled 1080p, 60 fps? (I can see the SPUs handling the animations,particle effects,collision physics and AI)
Admittedly, most of the lighting in the released screens look precooked, the environment will likely be physics lite, and I'd imagine they'd skip conventional HDR, but one still wonders.

I'm interested in finding out how exactly Digi Guy are getting this kind of IQ with a 1920x1080 framebuffer at 60 with just 256mb of vRam.

Technically there is only 256mb of vram, but the RSX can access the XDR through the Cell IIRC. Making it a total of 512mb - ram taken by os accessible.

Note: No need to quote the entire post for reference to one point. Please reread the FAQ to remind yourself of best practice. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in finding out how exactly Digi Guy are getting this kind of IQ with a 1920x1080 framebuffer at 60 with just 256mb of vRam. The character poly count looks fairly normal, but look at the high res background, or the rubble at the center of the picture.

I'm also having trouble finding any significant aliasing, what kind of AA techniques are Digi-Guy using at? How can these guys get 6-10 enemies on screen running complex animations with potentially complex AI, advanced particle effects, and motion blur/DOF at a non-upscaled 1080p, 60 fps? (I can see the SPUs handling the animations,particle effects,collision physics and AI)
Admittedly, most of the lighting in the released screens look precooked, the environment will likely be physics lite, and I'd imagine they'd skip conventional HDR, but one still wonders.

IMO, it will be a new form of motion based HD-Film foreground/backdrops giving the illusion of poly-based environments. Think pre-rendered but in motion… Not like a FMV game, but more integrated to make the user (player) believe what they’re looking at is all poly-based.

Remember that early Spiderman/Gran Turismo PS3 Demo? Something along those lines....

IMO, it will be a new form of motion based HD-Film foreground/backdrops giving the illusion of poly-based environments. Think pre-rendered but in motion… Not like a FMV game, but more integrated to make the user (player) believe what they’re looking at is all poly-based.

Remember that early Spiderman/Gran Turismo PS3 Demo? Something along those lines....

Wasnt there also a "Train trailer" that showcased something along the lines of what you are speaking on??

Most screenshots released by developers these days have high amounts of AA not present in the actual game. I don't see why this case would be any different.

wow, these new shots look pwnsome, but will the game really run at this res with that visual fidelity? btw, wheres the link to the trailer thannks.

Most screenshots released by developers these days have high amounts of AA not present in the actual game. I don't see why this case would be any different.

Well but unlike the othger developers they are claiming that they can achieve CGI like IQ and 1080p resolutions. It is remained to be seen if they indeed achieved that

[*tried to bump an older, related thread with no success, it refuses to accept my posts]

Below a certain status level, your posts need approval from the mods, i.e. it's not a bug but a feature ;) We've implemented that feature in order to combat rampant spam attempts.

huh, that makes sense in a way and I'm curious to see how it will behave in motion.
It sounds a bit like an advanced version of something CRI offers in Sofdec - a controllable movie with alpha- and a z-buffer so that you can superimpose moving objects and characters that is properly occluded and blended. I think the PS1 Final Fantasies used an earlier version of this, or FF8 did at least, but I'm not sure.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare from 2001 had a pretty nice system of fooling you with its pre-rendered backgrounds. The flashlight cast its light fairly decently on top of the backgrounds and the shadows behaved, well, not like entirely static shadows.
Here's two pictures for the ones who didn't play that game:
aloneinthedark4020.jpg

aloneinthedark4021.jpg

If they use some kind of shake-n-bake backgrounds(heavy focus on composition, blending and whatnot) I wonder how the camera can, and will, behave.

Super AA & Upscale

I'm interested in finding out how exactly Digi Guy are getting this kind of IQ with a 1920x1080 framebuffer at 60 with just 256mb of vRam.

Hello my friend, I feel probably they render at low resolution with very high anti-aliasing so there is no edge, then use good upscale algorithm via CELL. You cannot see aliasing edges but you can feel the detail is not what you will see in true native 1080P.

Those bleedin' robots... :)

Have we ever seen any actual gameplay from this? All I can recall are trailers. For a game that was announced so long ago I was hoping for something more substantial*.

*Watched it as IGN's crappy little vid. Was there anything in the higher res version? A date for release or new media perhaps?

Those bleedin' robots... :)

Have we ever seen any actual gameplay from this? All I can recall are trailers. For a game that was announced so long ago I was hoping for something more substantial*.

*Watched it as IGN's crappy little vid. Was there anything in the higher res version? A date for release or new media perhaps?

There is a "gameplay trailer" And some "ingame" screenshots....you'll find them in the other wardevil thread, most likely in a post by yours truly.

There is a "gameplay trailer" And some "ingame" screenshots....you'll find them in the other wardevil thread, most likely in a post by yours truly.

Didn't see the "gameplay trailer" but did see the most recent (before these most recent) pics. I'm going to maintain my usual healthy level of scepticism. But having said that, as nice as the environments look, the geometry isn't "off the scale" if you know what I mean. Back to cautiously optimistic mode.

It's this use of quotes around gameplay that's confusing the issue. When I say gameplay I mean gameplay... not some get around with in game assets or game engine blah blah blah.

Sorry, should've made myself clearer.

Back to cautiously optimistic...

It's this use of quotes around gameplay that's confusing the issue. When I say gameplay I mean gameplay... not some get around with in game assets or game engine blah blah blah.

Sorry, should've made myself clearer.

Back to cautiously optimistic...

Why i said "gameplay" :)

Back