How Powerful Is The Gba?

I hate to be so blunt, but have you ever seen a screenshot of any SNES or GBA game? The answer to your second question would be obvious.

As for the overall power... It's not as powerful as a PS1, but it's well ahead of an snes. IIRC, they've even gotten software 3d running on it.

The audio is better on the snes thanks to the impressive Sony SPC700 chip.

Resolution was also higher on the SNES, but overall, I'd say the GBA has an edge with more CPU power, more memory and a larger color pallett.

Dont know for sure, but if you compare DK country on the snes and gba doesnt the snes version looks alot better? and that pretty much pushes the Snes for everything it had I think.

The GBA has an (un-cached) 16.8 Mhz ARM7 TDMI CPU, 32kb of internal RAM, 256kb of external RAM, and up to 32Mb of ROM (dependent on the game). Apart from this, it has a quite powerfull 2D-engine, with support for up to 128 sprites (without multiplexing - more if multiplexing is done), tiled or linear backgrounds, and some blending. It also has a really cool hblank-triggered DMA, allowing SNES mode-7 style effects.

The GBA can run Yoshi's Island without the Super FX chip and also boasts a much better version of Doom. So its much more powerful.

The demoscene group known as Shitfaced Clowns does things with the GBA hardware that will make your jaw drop. Their "five finger discount" demo even has reflections and shadows that seem like they could be raytraced.

Back