Are you going to get GTA4?

Are you going to get GTA4?

• Total voters
UK sales break record

Xbox 360 narrowly nudged out PS3 in the ‘battle of the consoles’.

335,000 copies were sold on Microsoft’s machine – 55 per cent of all formats sales. The figure is a new record for the console, beating Halo 3’s first-day sales of 266,000 units on Wednesday, September 26th, 2007.

GTA IV sold 274,000 copies on PS3 yesterday – 45 per cent of all sales and another format record breaking performance.

Gosh, just goes to show...something. PS3 sales are surprisingly close to XB360 sales, and even edge out H3 sales! Dunno what to make of that though. I guess many PS3 buyers were buying hardware in anticipation of a sequel to their previous PS2 title.

Gosh, just goes to show...something. PS3 sales are surprisingly close to XB360 sales, and even edge out H3 sales! Dunno what to make of that though. I guess many PS3 buyers were buying hardware in anticipation of a sequel to their previous PS2 title.

I'm interested in seeing hardware sales for the month too (well, for the 4 weeks after release). Can we safely assume that any increase in hardware sales for the perspective platforms over the average sales for the previous months can be attributed to GTA4?

Few more details on sales breakdown:

According to a report on MCVUK on Chart Track's UK sell through figures, Grand Theft Auto IV sold over 609,000 copies in the UK on its first day of sales. The game sold 335,000 units on the Xbox 360, topping Halo 3 which sold 266,000 units on its first day. Sales on PS3 for GTAIV were 274,000 units day one, easily making GTAIV the top selling PS3 debut in the UK.

The previous record for an opening day debut was 501,000 units in the UK, held by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

According to Vgchartz sell through data, Xbox 360 has sold 2.18 million units in the UK, while PS3 has sold 1.19 million units in the UK through April 19, 2008. That means the day one attach rate for PS3 is about 25% using figures through the 19th, while the attach rate for Xbox 360 is about 15% using figures through the 19th.

The previous record for an opening day debut was 501,000 units in the UK, held by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
That too is impressive! XB360 has had a larger first-day seller than the PS2 with its huge install base over its life!

I got the game, and luving it.

For those 360 achievement addicters, there is an easy way of earning survive 6* for 5mins. Just go to bridge by stairs, walk on footpath of bridge not road to all the way to other end, and stay inside the middle of downstairs. Cops didn't chase me, so try it out!

And I am wondering if I was the only person feeling uncomfortable by the fact that objects in distant environment looks too blurry?

All else being equal, it should be proportional to install base. It may mean UK PS3 owners are more eager to play the game than 360 owners. Since 360 has a larger base, they may have stronger follow up sale (to a certain extent).

It also means that PS3 is doing exceptionally well in Europe since UK is MS's strongest EU market and a 1+ year headstart. In rest of Europe, PS3 should lead by a good margin.

In US, it's probably 2-3 times 360 over PS3. Otherwise, I have to wonder how many users own multiple 360s, and how many casuals own 360s.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you match the scales between the two? GTA4 seems way too big in comparison to SA given that its just one city.

If correct then I am extremely impressed. Especially given the supposed density of GTA4.

in stat of the game you have the ridden distance, you can precisely measure distance on the map (but i think it's possible that the game write "miles" in stats but count in kilometer because in the french version of GTA-SA was in kilometer i think so)

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I heard at Media Markt and another retail whose name I can't recall now, there were fewer PS3 copies available at launch and this was confirmed by what I saw 2 hours after most places opened.

Today I read in punkt.se that there were manufacturing problems in a plant in europe for ps3 and problems in a plant in england for x360.

Are there availability problems in other contries?

Back