Are you going to get GTA4?

Are you going to get GTA4?

• Total voters
We just got both versions here at work and did a/b comparisons on an lcd tv. Lighting seems more or less similar on both, but the resolution difference is glaringly obvious. the PS3 version is clearly running at a lower resolution. We looked at similar locations back to back and the stair stepping on the PS3 version is much worse, so much so that I couldn't help but notice it everywhere. I seriously doubt the PS3 version is running at 720p, it appears to be significantly less. Anyways, I'm glad I did the comparison myself instead of trusting the magazine reviews. After seeing both in action its a no brainer to me, getting the 360 version today.

Could you do me a favor and try disabling any 1080 (i or p) mode on the PS3 and let me know if the situation improves. Seems a few people reported even worse aliasing with these enabled.

Thanks

It's the same street corner as the crossing in the "lol tree out the nowhere" gif.
yes seems like its just a bug that accidentally slipped through testing (tree flagged with the wrong variable) instead of a major intrusive implementation fault

Don't we have a GTA 4 impressions/gameplay thread? I'm guessing not...

On that note, I've been struck by the gfx (PS3) so far. Sometimes they looks sharp off in the middle distance and at other (the majority) of times they look sort of blurry. This is only from a very short play-test.

Still, I'm intrigued by the main protaganist. Interesting choice of ethnicity (I'll stick to saying he's from the "Balkans" for now!) and his little speech at the start about having been in war was quite sobering* (I worked on PIFWCs a few years ago and some of the things I heard were very saddening). I can't wait to see where the story takes him and how much evolution of the character there will be.

*Reminded me of all the taxi drivers in Sarajevo. At the end of the war a lot of Bosnians (and Croatians) were given a pay-off for their participation - a lot of them bought taxis and were still running them (last time I was there was 2006). I only ever encountered one that smiled.

Sorry for the huge OT.

Some anecdotal stuff - this morning I was in a store at the train station and noticed already there was only one special edition PS3 GTA IV available, the rest gone. There were still five 360 copies, plus also some special editions. Later on my way back home in another city, I found one 360 copy, the rest gone. Finally, I went to a big mediamarkt store tonight and asked around a bit, and they said that morning 150 people had lined up at the store, and their 400 copies were all gone by 11:30, with the 360 selling out first. They also sold a lot of 360s and PS3s. He said it had been a pretty crazy morning. I can imagine. ;)

I think if I'd have found a PS3 version I'd have bought one, but now I'll probably have to wait a while. It will be interesting to see if any of my friends get a copy. Right now, this game ranks a lot lower than GT5 Prologue, partly because it's not kid-friendly (one colleague for instance is going to buy Burnout Paradise instead).

Overall the timing for this game's release over here is great, as the next two days are holidays. Sales must have been pretty decent. ;)

*Reminded me of all the taxi drivers in Sarajevo. At the end of the war a lot of Bosnians (and Croatians) were given a pay-off for their participation - a lot of them bought taxis and were still running them (last time I was there was 2006). I only ever encountered one that smilee.
You from Sarajevo or a visitor? I was born and raised there but now I live in Maryland. It's pretty cool that Niko and Roman speak my native language. I could do without the war references but I can let it slide as long as they don't end up taking sides.

I'm really liking this game so far but the terrible framerate on the 360 makes steering harder than it should be. Hopefully a proper PC version comes out soon so we can experience this game at 60fps and without the weird blurring. I saw 1up's comparison video and the PS3 version looked a lot smoother especially the scene with the bridge in the background, I don't know due to video compression or not but I would gladly take a lower resolution for a smoother framerate. Anyone with a PS3 getting 30fps because I assure you the 360 is not even close when driving.

Well i hope i dont get flamed for this but in my opinion the reviewers really overrated the visuals in this game.
Agreed 100%, the graphics are nice but nothing special, the shadow dithering and distance blur is really getting on my nerves. Definitely not a 10 or even 9, they are a 7 maybe 8 at most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i hope i dont get flamed for this but in my opinion the reviewers really overrated the visuals in this game.

This I kinda agree (The power lines, rails and fences on both platforms are ugly. They are everywhere. The rest are ok). At this level of aesthetics, I don't think the subtle details matter.

It's good looking, but not eye popping like the other high profile exclusive games people raved about. However, just looking at the 2D map makes my heart pump.

I just picked up my copy from the EB "flagship" store in Toronto that just opened (and is about 4x the size of your typical EB). They still had tons of copies (looked like at least 100 of each platform). I asked which one was selling the most, the clerk guesstimated the 360 by 2-1. He mentioned it was the busiest he's ever seen it and he's worked at EB for a few years.

You from Sarajevo? I was born and raised there but now I live in Maryland. Gotta say it's pretty cool that Niko and Roman speak my native language. I could do without the war references but I can let it slide as long as they don't end up taking sides.

I think they'd be pretty careful not to take sides in something so fresh in people's minds. Just a little bit of padding for Niko's background. IMO it's a very interesting choice.

And nope, not from Sarajevo. Have just visited a few times.

EDIT: Sorry Alstrong. Feel free to move my post (although I don't think there's an exact thread for what I'm rabbiting on about).

I think they'd be pretty careful not to take sides in something so fresh in people's minds. Just a little bit of padding for Niko's background. IMO it's a very interesting choice.

And nope, not from Sarajevo. Have just visited a few times.

EDIT: Sorry Alstrong. Feel free to move my post (although I don't think there's an exact thread for what I'm rabbiting on about).
Cool, I hope you enjoyed it relatively speaking. It was an amazing city before the war. I have to show this game to my parents when I visit them next time, we came to the US in 1995 with nothing and now we are all doing very very well, I thing they will get a kick out of it.

Did you notice any other differences?

Nothing major, but we didn't a/b under the microscope like is often done here. In other words, we didn't blow up screenshots 400x and declare a victor based on one image having a more correct hue of van dyke brown. We just sat back at a typical viewing distance and looked for differences that stood out. To everyone, the resolution difference was the main thing that jumped off screen. The other issue, oddly, was anti aliasing. I say oddly because to me it looked like the 360 version had anti aliasing, but I clearly remember reading some "review" online that claimed that it didn't. In any case, I have to stress people to look at real feed off tv before making judgments. Screenshots and net videos just don't do the trick.

One important note here is that we have an lcd tv at work, and I find lcd's tend to really bring out aliasing issues. If you have a good plasma then it may not jump out as much.

Agreed 100%, the graphics are nice but nothing special, the shadow dithering and distance blur is really getting on my nerves. Definitely not a 10 or even 9, they are a 7 maybe 8 at most.

I think that view may change when you play the game more (I assume you've just got it?). No doubt it has its problems (shadows can be slightly annoying as well as sometimes having to much blur in the distance). However overall, and taking into consideration the kind of game and the size of the map, it looks fantastic IMO. On occasion I'll be driving along and I'll stop in awe of the visuals, its definitely not a 100% consistent game graphically. It can look average, but most of the time it looks great, and at times it looks positively beautiful IMO.

Another of Dot50Cal's 360 pop-in gifs.

This one is from his retail copy-
http://i26.tinypic.com/25yx5jb.gif

He also says

Also, I am noticing screen tearing on the 360, but none on the PS3.

Its strange how this bloke is always noticing the flaws in the 360 version (especially ones nobody else see's like screen tearing) yet he doesn't seem to see any flaw on PS3...

To update what I said about pop in. I watched the game as someone else played, as suggested, and I do notice it more now now (I hardly noticed at all when I was playing myself). Its still nothing major IMO, though no doubt different people will be more picky then others.. I still haven't seen something apear right in front of the car though, even when going at full speed in a fast car. Then again I don't tend to drive my cars half way on the curb.. :LOL:

Back