What game or game moment has most pervaded your life?

OICAspork

Newcomer
I just had a kind of peculiar moment a little while ago... and it made me decide to post this thread. The question is, what video game, or just moment, sound, music, from a game has managed to wiggle its way into your daily life? I'm not talking about best video game memory, or nastalgic feeling that a game gives you. I mean a piece of a game that has managed, by or against your will to squirm into your normal life...

Now as far the actual moment that inspired this tread...

I just came back from the bathroom... and I realized that about seven years after last playing DDR... the song, "Drop the Bomb" still regularly plays in my head when I sit down to take a crap. XD Yeah, that is why I asked the question before posting the actual memory. Still, the question remains. I wonder if anyone has an odder answer to that question than I do!

In that context, Gran Turismo without a fuckin doubt. That game is why I know how to pick a good line.

It might sound funny, but I find myself saying,"Metttal Geara..!" the way snake says in the japanese trailer when MKII is introduced and Otacon says it is based on Metal Gear Rex.then Snake says,"Mettal Geara..!"(say it in the jap way, just watch the trailer you will know)

The words just pop out of my mouth for no reason, like when I am working and suddenly -,"Mettal geara...!" :D I seem to enjoy it too much:p
My roomate breaks ito a laugh everytime he hears me say it !
Heck! he was even asking me yesterday as to how to say it properly, Like he said, "Hey! What is that you say Snake says?"
And I gladly said, "Mettal Geara...!" :D

I've always had quite good "reality filtering", having grown up with computer games it's never been that hard to draw a distinct line between games and reality and never to let the two cross, or even really think about games when I'm away from them...

I have noticed in the past that after playing some racing games if the same music comes on when I'm driving a real car I have to make a conscious effort to not start speeding heavily.

While the above is understandable, if a little scary in terms of mental conditioning, the only game that's had an open effect on my mentality and perception of reality (I have to say this came at a period of relatively high stress and little sleep for me) was Crackdown. A few weeks after launch and following some sizeable gaming sessions I did find myself wandering through my village one day when I suddenly looked at the rooftops of some of the buildings and started to consider the easiest route of leaping up to and between the various roofs... At that point in time, in my head, it made total sense too that I could just run towards the first house, jump and land on their conservatory before jumping up to the roof... Quite where I expected the green orbs to be I don't know... ;)

Gaming moments seeping into my life?

For me it's the time when I was playing Doom and working at the Post Office.

<zing>:oops:

The game Captive on the Amiga. It's a Dungeon Master type early 3D first-person game where the scenery is constructed from square blocks. The first level was sandy bricks with a metal trimming. The four robots' batteries drain constantly, and to recharge them you clicked your hand on the power socket and then clicked their chest.

I was playing a fair bit of the game, when I had cause to visit a building with interior brick walls divided into neat square blocks by white girders. One block had a power socket at its base and the first thought that rushed through my mind was 'ooh, I'd better stick my hand in there to get some power'. My second thought was 'I need to stop playing Captive so much'!

Way back in grade school my friends and I were all heavily addicted to thief 2 (SUCH an amazing game btw, play it if you haven't!) but the problem was my parents had video game limits. 3 hours day on weekends and 1.5h on weekdays. This was a problem as we wanted to play thief 24/7 (of course) so we decided to act it out in real life :) We covered up all the windows at my dads place with garbage bags and taped them to not let any light through lit a bunch of candles and proceeded to knock each other out with our blackjacks (socks with tennis balls in them, wrapped in hockey tape) XD Ah man good times lol.

I probably have several such quirks but one I can think of off the top of my head is from the ancient Psygnosis Barbarian game (not the fighter game by...Palace?).

In Psygnosis' game there was this werewolf thing which would come at you, swipe at you with its paw and say "Rawr!"

Me and an old classmate who was an ST fanatic played that game quite a bit back in the day, and even to this day we sometimes playfully make that swipe gesture and say "Rawr!" to one another..
Peace.

For me there is one very clear answer - Trade Wars. To this very day, when I run errands, I compulsively try to create a route that will loop me back to home in the least number of "moves". And I search for shops where I can get as many of the items on my list at once so I don't need to waste any moves. Silly but true.

It's also the game that made me decide to never play a game that requires that kind of commitment again. I never play MMORPGs, for example.

An obsession with efficiency is important for your job. Do you think the game helped you develop that sense of efficiency, or that a natural interest in efficiency is what made Trade Wars so appealing?

I guess that Liberi Fatali never stopped playing in my head every now and then since I played FF VIII...
I remember a story told by a friend of mine that is a sculptor and his father owns a marble shop. He was obsesed with Tomb Raider, and one day whille he was in his fathers shop he was looking at huge marble plates stacked up almost 4 meters high. At one point he was calculating the distance between them and thinking that if he was up there he should do a running jump in order to jump across!!!

Back