Eye of Judgment Pt 2

Carl B

Friends call me xbd
Legend
Ok well... although the Euro/Asia crowd has already had the pleasure of Set 2 for some time now, tomorrow marks the launch in NA, so I thought I'd start a new thread for approachability.

As always, xbd's got extras for both set 1 and set 2 for those that need them or want to get into the game as new players. :)

Lot's of new deck ideas swirling through my head right now... a biolith deck, biolith/parmus deck, undead deck, or wood-themed deck all candidates.

That's a brutal update, no doubt. I'm fine either way of course, but I'll get you some Set 2 ASAP just so that you have maximum flexibility on your end. Mo' cards is mo' better. :)

Is set 2 worth all the cash you have to pour into it to get the new cards? I am a noob with set 1 still.

I don't know what the situation is at the moment. I am personally not bored with set 1 yet, so unless I find I am having a very hard time finding games with just set 1 cards, I don't think I will bother for now (and although there are some free days coming up, my wife's due date is this Saturday! So any free time could be slashed any moment ;) ).

Also, if you're still a noob, then I think you should better invest your time learning to play with the basic set, and learn the basics of set building. Until you understand what the additional value is of a particular card in a particular set in a particular circumstance, you aren't really ready to expand your set. ;)

Is set 2 worth all the cash you have to pour into it to get the new cards? I am a noob with set 1 still.

Well whether it's 'worth' it or not is of course subjective; for me it's definitely worth it, but as a result of my card-rush I have a ton of extra cards lying around. If you like, I can send you every set 2 common and some uncommons for free, and then you'd have Set 2 cards to work with without any expenditure whatsoever.

Well whether it's 'worth' it or not is of course subjective; for me it's definitely worth it, but as a result of my card-rush I have a ton of extra cards lying around. If you like, I can send you every set 2 common and some uncommons for free, and then you'd have Set 2 cards to work with without any expenditure whatsoever.

Thank you very much for the offer, but that is okay, I'll do as Arwin suggested, try to get past noob status with Set 1 first. And if I still enjoy it as much, I'll just use a little from the "weekend" account to get me setup with some Set 2 cards.

Well I'm on Series one, and even managing to beat the computer on normal for the first time, there's still some stuff that just seems random! How exactly do the attacks work? I can't fathom the icons. Some cards have multi direction attacks but only attack one way. Some seem to attack differently between summoned and activated attacks. Some seem to target allies whereas others don't. Some don't attack when summoned, only in defence. It's way confusing!

As examples, the Se Hollyn Fortress has a red arrow to a yellow explosion in front, like most cards, but it won't attack when summoned. Biolith Bomber has attack in four directions with pink arrows, and red arrow forwards. When summoned I have a choice who to attack in its line of sight, but I've also had it attack multiple targets. I don't know what criteria is needed for the multiple attack. If I place a Biolith Battle Chariot that has one of mine and an enemy card it its arc of fire, will it attack both? What about if I activate it? And Hellfire Spitter has pink arrows in three direction onto blank spaces, and a red arrow into a yellow explosion. I guess the pink arrows show options for attacks, but what's with the explosion icon?

Well I'm on Series one, and even managing to beat the computer on normal for the first time, there's still some stuff that just seems random! How exactly do the attacks work? I can't fathom the icons. Some cards have multi direction attacks but only attack one way. Some seem to attack differently between summoned and activated attacks. Some seem to target allies whereas others don't. Some don't attack when summoned, only in defence. It's way confusing!

As examples, the Se Hollyn Fortress has a red arrow to a yellow explosion in front, like most cards, but it won't attack when summoned. Biolith Bomber has attack in four directions with pink arrows, and red arrow forwards. When summoned I have a choice who to attack in its line of sight, but I've also had it attack multiple targets. I don't know what criteria is needed for the multiple attack. If I place a Biolith Battle Chariot that has one of mine and an enemy card it its arc of fire, will it attack both? What about if I activate it? And Hellfire Spitter has pink arrows in three direction onto blank spaces, and a red arrow into a yellow explosion. I guess the pink arrows show options for attacks, but what's with the explosion icon?

Ok Shifty I'm going to help you out here some. :)

For the Se Hollyn Fortress for instance, it has the 'fortress' qualifier in italics in the card text; this means that it can't be used to attack offensively, and only counterattacks. That's why it doesn't attack when you summon it though, and why you can't attack with it when it's already in play.

The different attack modes....

Well, when you see a card that has multiple directions of attack, the solid red arrows represent the number. So like the bomber for instance is omni-directional in its attack paths, but only one of the red arrows is a deep solid red; that means when it attacks, you choose one specific square along any of its possible vectors. Same with the hellfire spiiters - but the bomber icon shows that it has a range of two squares in any direction, where the hellfire spitters card shows a range of only one.

Now with the battle chariot, both arrows are solid, which means that when you attack (or counterattack) any card/creature in either of those fields (whether friend or foe) will be subject to the attack. The attack itself only triggers though when there's an opponents card at play; so if you summoned it to finish the game instead of attack an enemy, and allied creatures occupied both target fields, it wouldn't attack. But if it was in play, an allied creature was occupying a target field, and the enemy summoned a creature to attack the chariot, the allied creature would get caught up in the chariots counter-attack.

Aspects like these are some of what give the game its greatest depth; it's awesome to try and see where you can use non-obvious means of attack on your opponent, and sometimes that includes baiting a stronger foe in order to wrap up your true target in the scuffle.

As for the cards that hit both targets in front of them, that's indicated by a solid long arrow going through both squares. Where the bomber and such indicate their method by several segmented arrows, a card like the harpoonsman has the arrow run through. Similar to the battle chariot example above, any creatures in those two squares - whether friend or foe - will get caught up in the attack should the harpoonsman engage.

Anyway hope this helps some!

Thanks for the heads up! Can I pester you for a clarification required though? Every card bar one I have in the starter deck and booster has a red arrow leading into a yellow explosion icon, and pink arrows leading to empty squares. This seems to me to indicate available attack directions in pink arrows, actual attack path in red arrows, and who gets hit with explosions. This theory falls down with the Biolith Bomber. This has pink arrows leading to explosion icons rather than blank squares. Pink arrows = optional attack directions, but explosion icons, in my understanding, are who gets hit, which surrounds the card. So, what's that all about?If the Biolith Bomber's attack are essentially the same as the Hellfire Spitter, why's the attack icon map thing different? :???:

Aspects like these are some of what give the game its greatest depth; it's awesome to try and see where you can use non-obvious means of attack on your opponent
Absolutely! When I finally beat the comp on normal, I used his Triceptor Behemoth to kill his own minion. There's a huge amount of depth here and any card-playing or strategy-gaming fan should check it out. But spend a good time on it as it takes a while to learn the tricks and at first all the subtleties are completely lost until the computer whacks you with 'em!

I think you are referring to the fact that there are two different ranged attaks. For instance, if a creature can attack at a two field distance, some creatures will only attack that second field, but other creatures will attack the inbetween field as well.

No, the long range attack is a curved red arrow. I'm talking about the little explosion icons on the attack grid. In all cards these explosion icons correlate with red arrows, but not the Bomber. So what do they mean?

I may be wrong about the AOE attack though. I'm sure I've seen the Bomber do it at least twice, but I've been unable to reproduce it with either summon attacks, attacks or counterattacks. Although the game has been patched since then. Could it be that behaviour has changed, and where the card did hit multiple targets before, now is strictly one only?

I may be wrong about the AOE attack though. I'm sure I've seen the Bomber do it at least twice, but I've been unable to reproduce it with either summon attacks, attacks or counterattacks. Although the game has been patched since then. Could it be that behaviour has changed, and where the card did hit multiple targets before, now is strictly one only?

Nah it only ever attacked one... I'm still not sure what the question is though. :)

The best thing to do is just forget the explosion icons; the only time they serve me any purpose is when interpreting magic attacks. Generally, one red arrow with pink arrows means an attack in a single direction of your choosing, and several red arrows means a simultaneous attack in all indicated directions.

EoJ Free Card Friday Reminder

Fellow EoJers, (Argh !) [strike]Tomorrow[/strike] The day after is the (first) Free Card Friday:

We will post a link where you will be able to register your mailing address. Be one of the first few hundred to register that day and you will receive all three promo cards including: ...

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/04/25/the-eye-of-judgment-free-card-friday/

Don't say I didn't remind you guys.

EDIT: I thought today is Thursday >_< That's what you get for gaming overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, I guess I should have entered. Seems like the game isn't played that much just yet, and the odds were hugely in our favor.

I have the game but only went through the tutorial and one or two games.

How exactly do you guys play this, I mean, on what surface?
All I have in front of my tv is my bed (I still live at home so the PS3 has to be setup in my bedroom), and well, this doesn't work all too well with the camera tipping over on a regular basis, even when sitting still.

Is there perhaps something to stabilize the camera?

Back