Nvidia/Ati - GPU roadmap

Is PCI Express really set to be ready by early next year?

It will be interesting to see how video card manufacturers decide to handle the switch to PCI express....

Well, nVidia does have the IBM option open now.

However, from what I've heard, the NV40 will still be on the .13 micron process.

I'm going to have fun quoting myself here :D

From http://www.notforidiots.com/GPURW.php :
Tue May 27, 2003 2:53:09 pm - This rumor ( japanese ) was reported at several places, including vr-zone. It states, for example, that the NV40 is done on 0.11u. The whole thing is *BS* ! Proof: it also states that the R360 is on 0.13u and uses LowK, while it is well known it's 0.15u - Reliability: Near Nil - Link

Uttar

one thing I would like to ask regarding the supposed move to PCI-Express boards in the near future according to the comparison chart. The limitation of AGP currently means we can only have one high-bandwidth video card in the PC at one time. With PCI-Express, I assume this means we can have mutliple display adapters running concurrently?

With this in mind, could we possibly see a trend towards support for multiple monitors in games? Of course Matrox tried this but given the lack of cards in the market, developers basically either didn't care or couldn't justify the added development costs for such a small market, thus such a small amount of titles with the capability.

But with the promise of multiple high-bandwidth GPU's in future systems, hopefully we will see more developement to multiple display support once PCI-Express becomes more mainstream?

kalbaz

Well, nVidia does have the IBM option open now.

However, from what I've heard, the NV40 will still be on the .13 micron process.
Yes and ATi could do the exact same thing. There are other options as well.

Kalbaz:
If I haven't got it completely wrong, the typical PCI-Express motherboard would still only have one AGP-like slot. The typical configuration would be a couple of single channel slots (PCI-replacers), and one 16 channel slot (AGP-replacer). The market is probably too small to make chipsets with two 16 channel ports.

The best I can hope for (and I'm only dreaming here) is a chipset that can split its "AGP-replacer" into two smaller ones. How about this idea: motherboard has two 16-channel slots, but there's only two 8-channel ports from the chipset (one to each slot). The remaining 8 channels are connected between the two slots.

If you have two gfx cards, you have 2.5 GB/s in each direction to each card, and the cards can talk to each other with 2.5 GB/s in each direction (good for transfering results from render-to-texture).

If you have one gfx card, you put a dummy in the other slot, that connects the two 8-channel ports. That way you get a 16-channel port to your single card (5 GB/s in each direction).

Warning: that was just brainstorming, it could be impossible to do it that way, and/or there could be much better ways.

T2k said:
No way, it's BS.

First of all, it's still in paper-phase: http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/
Yeah, that's basically what I thought.

From what I've heard previously with PCI Express, here's what I basically expect:

1. First step will be to integrate the lowest-bandwidth form of PCI Express. From what I read, this could be implemented as a small bracket between the PCI slot and the edge of the motherboard, allowing the motherboard to support both types of cards.

2. Once adoption of PCI Express is high enough, start moving toward higher-bandwidth PCI Express forms.

3. In the meantime, motherboards may contain one PCI Express high bandwidth slot below the AGP slot, primarily for the graphics cards.

4. How high-end graphics cards will handle the change I still don't know. I expect that at first, most will be available in both formats, but within a year after adoption, most of the brand-new graphics cards will only be available in PCI Express format.

Are you sure there "exist" no 0,11nm?
I don´t know how the manufactoring works but can´t you compare it to that it´s much smarter too learn chemistry A(0,13nm) and then B(0,11nm) instead if jumping direct to the C-grade(0,09nm).
It sounds smarter for someone like me that not know the hardcore facts.

edit spelling

There was an intermediate step between .25u and .18u (.22u) and between .18u and .13u (.15u). However, there really hasn't been too much talk about an intermediate step between .13u and .09u. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, but its not listed on any of the fabs' websites.

DaveBaumann said:
Aren't there a number of memory modules being produced in 110nm?

Samsung.
Process level/quality/sophistication does not really let itself be described by a single figure of merit.

Entropy

T2k said:
Chalnoth said:

It will be interesting to see how video card manufacturers decide to handle the switch to PCI express....

No way, it's BS.

First of all, it's still in paper-phase: http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/

Huh. Then how do you explain PCI-Express being in Intel's Grantsdale chipset for 1H'04? Actually specifically 2Q'04, but there are rumors that if AMD's athlon64 garners some heavy competition in the desktop space, Intel will move Grantsdale and Tejas up to 1Q'04. But that's hearsay.

1066-FSB (eventually 1200-FSB), Serial ATA/USB2.0/Firewire ports out the arse, PCI-Express x16 (aggregate bandwidth of 32Gbit/sec. 2Gbit/sec per channel), DDR-I and DDR-II support, plus a few more nifty things.

That's what I'm waiting for. :)

overclocked said:
Are you sure there "exist" no 0,11nm?
I don´t know how the manufactoring works but can´t you compare it to that it´s much smarter too learn chemistry A(0,13nm) and then B(0,11nm) instead if jumping direct to the C-grade(0,09nm).
It sounds smarter for someone like me that not know the hardcore facts.

edit spelling

IBM already has the capacity to produce 110nm devices and currently they are too. Dunno how that would play into Nvidias plans.

Chalnoth said:

Inq reports that intels next platform for the next generation Prescott and Tejas processors, to be released 2Q'04, will use it.

Back